DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you think Windows Will Become a Viable Competitor in 2013?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! they have the resources and the OS/Hardware combo looks very promising

9 16.67%
  • NO WAY!! What have you been smoking?

32 59.26%
  • Hmmm maybe, they may just pull this off.

13 24.07%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: [OPINION POLL] Will Windows Handsets Rival Android Powered Smartphones by Next Year?

1. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rubiksc00p View Post

The whole premise of Windows Phone is wrong for me though! It is to spend less time on your phone. What if I'm in love with my phone and I just want to be on it all the time? WP can get really boring, really fast! :P

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!
    My thoughts exactly
    illmatic636 likes this.

2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    GALAXY NEXUS
    If Verizon embraced the new Nokia or the HTC Titans....I'd have it over the Nexus that I now have

I don't CARE about much things like choice....I just want stuff to work w/great battery life. I do like control over my phone...but I don't care about adjusting kernals or switching roms like a woman switches shoes
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    rossi636
    Phone
    D1 and iP4S
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksoxing View Post
    If Verizon embraced the new Nokia or the HTC Titans....I'd have it over the Nexus that I now have

I don't CARE about much things like choice....I just want stuff to work w/great battery life. I do like control over my phone...but I don't care about adjusting kernals or switching roms like a woman switches shoes

IMO the phone you current have is all about customizing and choices. Switching kernels, Roms, themes yet you claim you don't care about choice.

WinMo in my opinion can make a good run with the other OS's. I'll never forget my first experience with Android OS was on a WinMo phone. HYTC Vogue. WinMo just needed to catch up to the user friendly environment in their OS
    David

►o∑pen/ˈōpən/
    Accessible to all.
    Allowing access; not locked up.
    Having no means of closing or barring.
    Free from limitations, boundaries, or restrictions.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Gnex
    Voted maybe, but they have the resources and the OS/Hardware combo looks very promising

If they can put together a solid OS on the phone and attack the middle of the road. Between Apples hard line structure and Android openness with hardware that is on par with top of the line phones. Microsoft is big enough to play in this sandbox. They just need to pull there collective heads out of the sand. They made the Xbox work and compete with the PS2&3.

I think Android has more to lose than apple does in this. Plus Microsoft has the advantage of seeing what Apple is doing with lawsuits without trying to react to them. The rules are set.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Short answer: Not likely

They've made mistake after mistake after mistake in the smartphone market--a market they could have owned outright a decade ago, BTW. Their latest mistake is to target the consumer market. RIM was always on shaky ground, and with them collapsing, Windows could have used it's leverage with MS Exchange to bust into the business phone market and expand from there. But, instead, they **REMOVED** IT friendly features from the phone that were present in Windows Mobile 6.5 making it as useless to big IT departments as the iPhone. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Microsoft has a lousy reputation among consumers, and there is nothing in this phone that would make a consumer go "Wow!" They even screwed up that side of the equation. They talk about integrating the phone with Xbox, but native binaries are not supported, so the games run like molasses on the phone. Stupid, stupid, stupid! It's like they are TRYING to do everything wrong. I won't even start with the outdated hardware and "features".

They are way too late to make any real headway in the smartphone market. Consumers will avoid microsoft products like the plague if they have a choice. Especially if it is branded with Windows. Android has already solidified its place as the anti-iPhone. Microsoft has to offer a lot more to push themselves into that sphere. MS **does** have an opportunity to do something in the tablet market, where the ani-iPad is not clearly defined. Metro is pretty cool and may be a hit, but on tablets, not so much on phones.

In short, the Windows Phone is most likely to suffer the same fate as it's cousin the Kin, dragging Nokia down with it. Actually, it will be like the Zune, with crazy fanboys loving it, but the market, not so much. Anything is possible, of course, when you have Microsoft's money, but it's much harder to buy mindshare. MS has a deficit of trust with non-business consumers, and they have to address that issue before they can make any real gains in any other market.

I certainly do not count Microsoft out, but they are not showing the same ruthless ability to turn things around as they did when Bill Gates was in charge. They have been so incredibly slow and mistake-prone with mobile computing that they are climbing uphill to get out of this massive rut they are in right now.
    Last edited by droid_mike; 01-20-2012 at 12:59 PM.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksoxing View Post
    That's the other problem. MS and Nokia have almost no relationship with cellular providers, and the history between Verizon and MS is bad. Verizon had lots of trouble with previous iterations of Windows Phones and they are not eager to push the new phones. At the local level, Verizon reps have been burned badly with old windows phones needing so much support, they aren't going to push anyone towards those phones at all! Verizon corporate has openly mocked the Windows Phone. who does Microsoft think is going to sell these things?
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Have you guys tried out any of the WP7.5 mango phones out? They run smooth as hell on lower hardware than Android is using. I wouldn't dismiss them as a viable competitor. They also have a set of standards that every manufacturer must follow. They are getting there quick, although I agree they are not as modifiable/customizable as Android, but they may not need to be...that embrace simplicity.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Not by 2013. Beyond 2013 is a different story. With Windows8 coming along, people will see the Metro interface and become accustomed to it. After a year or so of Window8 being on the market people will see the same interface that they're used to on their desktops and that may lead to a much larger market share for Windows Phone. Then again we're all going to die on December 21st so what do i know?
    HTC Rezound (personal)
    Droid RAZR(work)

Galaxy Nexus (play)
    Retired: Droid Bionic, D2, DX2, Moto Droid, HTC G1, NOKIA N95, HTC Titan, Moto RAZR V3, BB7130, NOKIA 8110, 8850, 9500
    Motorola StarTAC 75
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    rossi636
    Phone
    D1 and iP4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    Have you guys tried out any of the WP7.5 mango phones out? They run smooth as hell on lower hardware than Android is using. I wouldn't dismiss them as a viable competitor. They also have a set of standards that every manufacturer must follow. They are getting there quick, although I agree they are not as modifiable/customizable as Android, but they may not need to be...that embrace simplicity.

If anything WinMo is more customizable than Android.
    David

►o∑pen/ˈōpən/
    Accessible to all.
    Allowing access; not locked up.
    Having no means of closing or barring.
    Free from limitations, boundaries, or restrictions.
  10. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Centura
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alboboy10 View Post
    Windows is dead.
    Windows is far from dead. Far.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast