DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Testing Voice-over-LTE in Two Major Cities; Plans National Rollout in 2013

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2037 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Verizon Testing Voice-over-LTE in Two Major Cities; Plans National Rollout in 2013

The possibility of Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) on Verizon just took a few steps closer to actualization. Verizon is currently doing some trial runs of the service in two (unspecified) major cities. Their plan is to start rolling out the service in 2013, after their entire LTE network is mostly in place. For those unfamiliar, the concept of VoLTE gives some distinct advantages. It allows the carrier to host phone conversations over an LTE network, which facilitates simultaneous use of talk and data on your LTE device. Furthermore, the quality of the sound is supposedly better than land-line or regular cell-phones.

Of course, as often as Verizon's LTE network has gone this year, it would seem that there are still some "hurdles" for them to overcome. In the long run, it is likely that almost all carriers will move in this direction, as there is a cost benefit to it for the company. Essentially, the current generation of smartphone users and likely future generations tend to use more data, such as texts, email, and Facebook posts than traditional phone calls in order to stay connected to friends and family. By combining voice and data into one stream, the carriers will effectively staunch the bleeding of lost revenues from traditional phone calls diminishing in popularity.

The above video is a demonstration of the tech provided by Verizon last year using an LG Revolution.

Source: PhoneArena

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    i just hope they get lte to where i live soon, im stuck between 3 lte areas but none here? its in erie pa, its in pittsburgh pa, its in youngstown oh (which i live like 30 minutes from) but nothing here...i wanna be able to actually test different phones on lte before i buy them, in case lte does come around here...
    back on topic though, i wonder how much better voice quality will be over lte and if it will effect data speeds in any way
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Once VoLTE rolls out will vzw start selling LTE only devices?
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk629 View Post
    I don't think so. Our phones get 1X and such when we aren't in 3g/4g areas, so I dont really see the gain from voLTE. Won't voice just slow down the lte data, and essentially make all of the 3g they invested in rather useless? If they made 4g only devices, I'd be rather mad when my friends 3g iPhone got data and I didn't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  6. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    Phone
    GNex & Xoom & OG Droid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk629 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wolstonc View Post
    I don't think so. Our phones get 1X and such when we aren't in 3g/4g areas, so I dont really see the gain from voLTE. Won't voice just slow down the lte data, and essentially make all of the 3g they invested in rather useless? If they made 4g only devices, I'd be rather mad when my friends 3g iPhone got data and I didn't.

A little bit ago VZW announced they are no longer allowing new non-LTE smartphones/hot-spots/tabs/netbooks in their lineup.
    Source: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...equipment.html
    Moto Droid 1 : Project Elite v4.2
    HTC Thunderbolt : Sold
    Samsung Droid Charge : Stock
    Moto Xoom Wifi : CM10.1
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus : CM10.2
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    so what will this mean for those of us using 3rd party apps to get free voip service?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by bazar6 View Post
    A little bit ago VZW announced they are no longer allowing new non-LTE smartphones/hot-spots/tabs/netbooks in their lineup.
    Source: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...equipment.html
    But still, wouldn't 4g-only devices be a disadvantage? We wouldn't get service in areas that don't have 4g, the 4g airwaves would also have to accommodate voice instead of just data, our 3g phones would be useless, and Verizon's 3g that made it most reliable call quality will be replaced by their 4g that's been extremely unreliable so far..

9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    So just one mort thing to push you over that 4gig cap. That's gonna seem really low once you start using it to make calls

Sent from my DROIDXified ICS D2
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    so what do you think this means for their phone/data plans? I can't imagine that they would charge less b/c you are only going to be using LTE, instead of LTE and voice. Would they get rid of the minutes allocation and just go off of data use? Does not make sense to me to have to pay for a structured plan of minutes only to have to use your data to make calls.

I would hope that they could distinguish between calls over LTE and data usage (web browsing, d/l apps from the market, etc), b/c otherwise that is a real easy way to screw someone out of their 4GB of data when they are making phone calls and having it take away from their allowed data use.

VZW needs to get their LTE network to stay up and running for an extended period of time before they start adding more traffic to it... cause you know, this is still a phone, and if 4G goes down AND you can no longer make a phone call, what is the point of switching to 4G in the first place? I don't like the idea of this at all, too many things to go wrong and/or screw people over.
    Last edited by jayman350; 01-20-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    Jay

BIONIC - Ice Cream Sandwich .246 SafeStrap 3 (ICS/CM10/CodenameAndroid)
    Kindle Fire - Jelly Bean 4.1.1 by HashCode
    OG DROID DROID CONCEPTS ROMS (looking for ideas to re-purpose this fine device)
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    This won't be in effect for over a year and I'm sure Verizon will have all their plans adjusted for when it does come out. If they have a 4GB plan for only DATA now (no phone calls, obviously), I'm pretty sure (hoping atleast) that they would bump it up or do something if they are adding phone calls to that list. Especially video calls which I'm guessing use a ton of data.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links