DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By dgstorm
  • 5 Post By cereal killer
  • 1 Post By johnomaz
  • 3 Post By jayman350
  • 2 Post By pc747

Thread: Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak Says Android is Ahead of Apple In Many Ways

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak Says Android is Ahead of Apple In Many Ways

It's refreshing to see this kind of open opinion from someone as well respected in the tech industry as Steve Wozniak. Recently, "the Woz" made some fairly surprising statements about Android in relation to the Apple iPhone. Overall, Wozniak believes that the iPhone is still the best smartphone; however, he did indicate that in many ways Android has leapt ahead of iOS. He said, “My primary phone is the iPhone. I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do.” He further indicated that voice commands work better on Android, and that Android’s built-in navigation system, using GPS systems is another advantage. Wozniak also said in reference to Android, "if you’re willing to do the work to understand it a little bit, well I hate to say it, but there’s more available in some ways.”

Not too long ago, Wozniak appeared at the Google offices to get his own pre-release version of the Galaxy Nexus and have his picture taken with some of the Googlers. Interestingly, he doesn't actually like the Galaxy Nexus that much and instead prefers his Droid RAZR. What a lot of people don't necessarily know about the Woz is that he is long time friends with Andy Rubin, and that he harbors zero resentment or ill will toward Android. In fact, Wozniak was on the board of Danger, Rubin’s previous company, Danger, the makers of the Sidekick smartphone. Wozniak commented, “I’ve known Andy a long time, and I respect him a lot."

Additionally, in reference to the way the growth of Android vs. iOS is very similar to what happened between Microsoft and Apple in the eighties and nineties, Wozniak had this to say, "I can see the similarity." In fact, he makes note that this time it could be worse for Apple because they are up against a stronger competitor. This is because he never felt that Windows was a very good product, but he added, “There’s not as big a difference [between iOS and Android] as there was between Mac and Windows." He also shared that it took a while to get good programs for Windows in the past, but with Android that is not the case. He elaborated that Android may actually have an edge with apps in the future, since it is much easier for developers to crank out apps quickly.

Finally, another reason he makes the case that Apple should pay attention is that there are certain things that work better on Android now. He said, “I have a lower success rate with Siri than I do with the voice built into the Android, and that bothers me,” said Woz. “I’ll be saying, over and over again in my car, ‘Call the Lark Creek Steak House,’ and I can’t get it done. Then I pick up my Android, say the same thing, and it’s done. Plus I get navigation. Android is way ahead on that.”

Amazing stuff to hear coming from someone many people consider to be one of the pioneers of the culture of Apple.

Source: TheDailyBeast
    trestevenson likes this.
  2. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1570 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    and he prefers the RAZR so he HAS to know what he's talking about
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    It is nice to see someone like Woz to give such an unbiased opinion.
    gunit34328 likes this.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    ...and Steve Jobs is now spinning in his grave plotting how he is going to haunt Woz for the rest of his life...once he finds someone else in the afterlife who has successfully haunted someone, who he can then steal their way of haunting, and claim it for his own
    Jay

BIONIC - Ice Cream Sandwich .246 SafeStrap 3 (ICS/CM10/CodenameAndroid)
    Kindle Fire - Jelly Bean 4.1.1 by HashCode
    OG DROID DROID CONCEPTS ROMS (looking for ideas to re-purpose this fine device)
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    we have known that for years
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5 and DROID MAXX
    Like he said, they both have their pro's and con's. That's why I have both to play with.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.
  7. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    Wozfest 2012!!

Seriously J/K!!
    Last edited by Shadez; 01-17-2012 at 12:09 PM.
  8. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    and he prefers the RAZR so he HAS to know what he's talking about
    Some one needs to show him how to root the nexus and he will change his mind.
    gunit34328 and cereal killer like this.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Might as well include tablets to the mix as well, the Asus Transformer is worlds ahead of the IPad IMO.

Links