DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Google's Eric Schimdt: Says Android is Differentiation Not Fragmentation

  1. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,331
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #1

    Google's Eric Schimdt: Says Android is Differentiation Not Fragmentation


    One could argue that Eric Schmidt of Google is living in denial about the "fragmentation" of Android, but he also makes some persuasive arguments to the contrary. He recently came forward at CES indicating that there isn't really a problem of fragmentation on Android. He claims that the platform instead offers customer-friendly "differentiation." He sees differentiation as a positive and fragmentation as a negative, and elaborated that if there were fragmentation then apps would be far more broken across the differing versions of Android, and different third party skins of Android.

    He further shared, “Differentiation means that you have a choice and the people who are making the phones, they’re going to compete on their view of innovation. They’re going to try and convince you that theirs is better than somebody else.” He added, “We absolutely allow [manufacturers] to add or change the user interface as long as they don’t break the apps.” Schmidt concluded with, “What people really care about is if there’s an interoperable ecosystem of apps” instead of every device having the same UI.

    In fact, you can see Google somewhat working to balance this with Ice Cream Sandwich. Any device that manufacturers want to have ICS, and still be able to get Android Market access, must support the Holo theme. While this is a slight tightening of controls, it merely means that Holo must be available to any apps that call upon it, and that manufacturers won’t be able to release devices that solely offer their own theme and not Google’s default in order to still gain access to the Android Market.

    On an interesting side-note, Mr. Schmidt took some time to share his views on all the Apple lawsuits and injunctions against Samsung, and a little about Windows Phone. Here were his comments, "Apple works very hard to block choice in Germany by trying to prevent Samsung tablets [from becoming] available. That's called prevention of choice." He made the argument that consumers should instead be able to judge all products fairly; "it's called competition." In regards to Windows Phone he said, "Microsoft's trapped in an architectural transition problem they may not get through."

    Source: SlashGear
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post

    One could argue that Eric Schmidt of Google is living in denial about the "fragmentation" of Android, but he also makes some persuasive arguments to the contrary. He recently came forward at CES indicating that there isn't really a problem of fragmentation on Android. He claims that the platform instead offers customer-friendly "differentiation." He sees differentiation as a positive and fragmentation as a negative, and elaborated that if there were fragmentation then apps would be far more broken across the differing versions of Android, and different third party skins of Android.

    He further shared, “Differentiation means that you have a choice and the people who are making the phones, they’re going to compete on their view of innovation. They’re going to try and convince you that theirs is better than somebody else.” He added, “We absolutely allow [manufacturers] to add or change the user interface as long as they don’t break the apps.” Schmidt concluded with, “What people really care about is if there’s an interoperable ecosystem of apps” instead of every device having the same UI.

    In fact, you can see Google somewhat working to balance this with Ice Cream Sandwich. Any device that manufacturers want to have ICS, and still be able to get Android Market access, must support the Holo theme. While this is a slight tightening of controls, it merely means that Holo must be available to any apps that call upon it, and that manufacturers won’t be able to release devices that solely offer their own theme and not Google’s default in order to still gain access to the Android Market.

    On an interesting side-note, Mr. Schmidt took some time to share his views on all the Apple lawsuits and injunctions against Samsung, and a little about Windows Phone. Here were his comments, "Apple works very hard to block choice in Germany by trying to prevent Samsung tablets [from becoming] available. That's called prevention of choice." He made the argument that consumers should instead be able to judge all products fairly; "it's called competition." In regards to Windows Phone he said, "Microsoft's trapped in an architectural transition problem they may not get through."

    Source: SlashGear
    Haha well what else would he say? They've gone from denying it exists to now saying its a positive. Tell that to the people still waiting for ICS or in some cases GB haha....fragmentation goes beyond just different UIs...
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  4. Junior Droid
    Burnicus's Avatar
    Member #
    108609
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    #3

    Living in a fantasy world

    After moving from Moto to HTC recently, I can say that Schmidt is clueless.
  5. Master Droid
    droidxd00d's Avatar
    Member #
    228229
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    250
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #4
    I wish makers were required to allow users to "turn off" their skins so every device could run vanilla android without rooting and installing roms.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    Sent with the Ruler of All Machines! My Droid Bionic now featuring Ice Cream!
  6. Droid Sensei
    Stelv's Avatar
    Member #
    126298
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    2,665
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #5
    Schmidt is not clueless, he is a shady businessman and will say only positive things about his business. We all know fragmentation is a BIG problem, you aren't pulling the wool over anyones eyes Schmidt. No device should be below Gingerbread at this point, manufacturers should offer updates past 6 months...blah blah...fragmentation is REAL! I can't wait for the next big OS (it's not iOS) to come along and knock Schmidt off his high horse.

    Nice picture by the way, goes great with the article
    gadgetrants and dgstorm like this.
  7. Droid Ninja
    kptphalkon's Avatar
    Member #
    155133
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,389
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #6
    Is he suggesting that a customizable interface is worth more than platform stability? This man is clearly out of his mind.
    dgstorm likes this.
  8. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,331
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    Schmidt is not clueless, he is a shady businessman and will say only positive things about his business. We all know fragmentation is a BIG problem, you aren't pulling the wool over anyones eyes Schmidt. No device should be below Gingerbread at this point, manufacturers should offer updates past 6 months...blah blah...fragmentation is REAL! I can't wait for the next big OS (it's not iOS) to come along and knock Schmidt off his high horse.

    Nice picture by the way, goes great with the article
    Thanks. I thought the picture fit his "unique" perspective on this subject as well. I did like what he had to say regarding the Apple lawsuits. His comments were not surprising, but still interesting.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Stelv's Avatar
    Member #
    126298
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    2,665
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #8
    What do you think Schmidt meant when he said Windows was trapped in a Architectural Transition? What does that mean exactly?
  10. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,331
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    What do you think Schmidt meant when he said Windows was trapped in a Architectural Transition? What does that mean exactly?
    It's a special marketing dialect that is spoken only by ex-CEOs in order to confuse their prey just long enough to pounce on them!
    Stelv likes this.
  11. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,331
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kptphalkon View Post
    Is he suggesting that a customizable interface is worth more than platform stability? This man is clearly out of his mind.
    I have to agree. I like optimistic attitudes, but his head is way in the clouds on this one.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
  2. Is Android fragmentation preventing world domination?
    By tehpriest in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
  3. Google: Android fragmentation 'is a boogeyman, a red herring'
    By SpykeZ in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 08:49 PM
  4. Android 2.1 and Fragmentation
    By Mr. Premium in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Find us on Google+