DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Chile Now Requires All Mobile Phones to Be Unlocked

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Chile Now Requires All Mobile Phones to Be Unlocked

Now this is something that every country on Earth should stand up and take notice of... the Department of Telecommunications of Chile just implemented a new rule that requires all mobile phones that are sold in the country to be unlocked. Besides the fact that it makes modding devices much easier in Chile, it also means that you can take any phone and make it work with any carrier within that country.

In fact, the Chilean government has even taken it to the next level, and the rule is pseudo-retroactive. It is worded such that any locked mobile phone purchased prior to the January 16 date is to be unlocked by the carrier free of charge. They implemented a formal procedure to make the process easier for customers. The carriers will be required to put up a webpage where the user can enter the IEMI, device model, and some other info for security purposes, and the phones can then be unlocked by the carrier. Reportedly, they are even working towards creating rules that would make all numbers portable as well.

It would be fantastic if something like this were passed in the United States, but what do you wanna bet that the various carriers would spend millions lobbying Congress to stop it from happening...

Source: SlashGear
    Narsil and trestevenson like this.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I'm not eating in Chili's again then.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    I am against government regulation. If unlocked phones are so in demand, then one company would do it and corner the market. Let the free markets drive this, not some dictator that has his own ulterior motives for this.
    RETG likes this.
    Moto X - Designed by me!
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Liked
    117 times
    Phone
    DROID X --> Nexus Prime
    Wow... Just wow... Not sure what to say... =P It's nice, but (not to get political) why is the government mandating what the phone companies do...

Besides, there is going to be a lack of competition on the HW side of things, remember back in the day when it was ATT/iPhone vs. Verizon/Droid? That made a great competition. Now its all the companies/iPhone vs. Tmobile, and it makes for a great competition too! But even with Android, look how much competition it provides for the companies when say Verizon has the Razr, then everyone competes with that phone and company... Like the fact that ATT will likely get the Note. etc...

Competition!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher View Post
    I am against government regulation. If unlocked phones are so in demand, then one company would do it and corner the market. Let the free markets drive this, not some dictator that has his own ulterior motives for this.
    I disagree. The free markets are flooded with consumers that have been preconditioned to settle for whatever option is available. With obvious exception to a staunch stance on something that the masses overwhelmingly feel is a necessity, the average person and the vast majority will just settle with the options in front of them in lieu of nothing at all.
    While I am no fan of governmental regulation on a number of issues, I will side with this particular instance. This is something that big corporations are capitalizing on as a group creating headaches for people in their country. We see it as a potential to root and mod, whereas the driving factor for them seems to be able to purchase a piece of hardware and own it beyond the manufacturer's rules and regs even beyond warranty period.

I would love it if the manufacturers would build in an internal clock to count from time of activation to warranty expiration to unlock the BL OTA
    Narsil likes this.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    i am torn on this . i like ideas of phones being unlocked, but don't like government total control .
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyFirefighter View Post
    I disagree. The free markets are flooded with consumers that have been preconditioned to settle for whatever option is available. With obvious exception to a staunch stance on something that the masses overwhelmingly feel is a necessity, the average person and the vast majority will just settle with the options in front of them in lieu of nothing at all.
    While I am no fan of governmental regulation on a number of issues, I will side with this particular instance. This is something that big corporations are capitalizing on as a group creating headaches for people in their country. We see it as a potential to root and mod, whereas the driving factor for them seems to be able to purchase a piece of hardware and own it beyond the manufacturer's rules and regs even beyond warranty period.

I would love it if the manufacturers would build in an internal clock to count from time of activation to warranty expiration to unlock the BL OTA
    The age old "the government knows what is best for the individual than the individual does" argument. Sorry, ain't buying that.
    Moto X - Designed by me!
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    It's not anything exciting from a modding standpoint. They mean it's unlocked as in not locked to a carrier. The bootloader can still be locked.

The thing about the bootloader is, from the average consumer's standpoint; there is absolutely no reason for the bootloader to be unlocked. (notice the bold italicized words, so please don't crucify me over that statement)

The phone itself, on the other hand; is a different story altogether.
  9. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by rubiksc00p View Post
    Wow... Just wow... Not sure what to say... =P It's nice, but (not to get political) why is the government mandating what the phone companies do...

Besides, there is going to be a lack of competition on the HW side of things, remember back in the day when it was ATT/iPhone vs. Verizon/Droid? That made a great competition. Now its all the companies/iPhone vs. Tmobile, and it makes for a great competition too! But even with Android, look how much competition it provides for the companies when say Verizon has the Razr, then everyone competes with that phone and company... Like the fact that ATT will likely get the Note. etc...

Competition!
    I would have to diagree with you here. I think this could make the hardware better, much better.

I mean just think you would be able to pick any phone that was out and not just ones that your carrier offered. The phone manufacturers would no longer have the comfort of knowing that they can send mediocre devices to the best carriers and sell a ton of them.

This would force the phone manufacturers to put out top of the line phones if they want to sell them.
    Narsil and trestevenson like this.
    Twisted Inception
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by rubiksc00p View Post

Competition!
    Wow, I had no idea ATT created the iPhone and Verizon Android, it all makes sense now. I heard Sprint is making a Windows 7 phone with quad-core and Cricket Wireless is developing the Galaxy S3 and Xperia Play 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links