DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Microsoft and OEMS $200 million marketing push

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member

Microsoft and OEMS $200 million marketing push

We are going to file this one under Android related because it may just have an impact on Android sales. As a matter of fact, it will have an impact on sales, but how much is yet to be seen. Did I just see all the Android Enthusiast's share a collective eye roll? Of course I did, but hold up and read on.

Paul Thurrotts's WinSupersite has just written an article that blows the doors off the $100 million marketing push by Nokia and Microsoft to get Windows handsets into consumers hands. The truth of the matter is that it's not $100 million or $1.25 million it's a staggering $200 million and that's just in the United States. Nokia is not the only manufacturer jumping onboard. Samsung will contribute funds as well. It's quite clear, Microsoft wants to convince consumers to purchase millions of Windows Phone handsets in the first half of 2012.

It doesn't stop there either. According to the site:

Included in the plan are sales incentives for retail workers, aimed at getting them to finally start recommending Windows Phone as an alternative to Android and iPhone. The amount of payments are $10 to $15 per handset sold, depending on the number sold, for some handset models.
    Do you see where are they going with this? Microsoft and it's partners are going to splash onto the smartphone scene like a Tidal Wave. With a huge amount of marketing dollars behind them they just may jump to the forefront very quickly. The Droid series is a perfect example of Marketing dollars pushing a product. It just works. One glaring issue that we find is that consumers may just end up with a phone that isn't right for them, but that's neither here nor there at this time.

Android certainly has a leg up because of it's applications and developer enthusiasm but there is always room for more competition. It's a little too early to predict anything but the platform wars are truly turning into a bloody knockdown dirty street fight.

Via: Winsupersite & Windows Phone Forum
    Last edited by dgstorm; 01-04-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    jroc likes this.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    This is great news. With some luck, this may help push phone prices down. Am I the only one that thinks $600+ for a handset is ridiculous?
    We may see some developers jumping in too: the development studio is free, just like the android suite -unlike apple's.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Samsung will contribute funds as well
    What?? thats like they are basically betraying Google after just releasing Google's flagship Galaxy Nexus...I just dont get why Samsung would do this considering it might take away from the sales of the nexus unless they really feel a windows phone will be better than the GN?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Liked
    117 times
    Phone
    DROID X --> Nexus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by metalspring View Post
    What?? thats like they are basically betraying Google after just releasing Google's flagship Galaxy Nexus...I just dont get why Samsung would do this considering it might take away from the sales of the nexus unless they really feel a windows phone will be better than the GN?
    It's only a company... They make quite a few Winphones as well!

I'm not going to go with a WindowsPhone probably ever, but I will most likely jump on a Windows 8 tablet! Windows 8 is actually pretty amazing! I have the Win8 beta and its pretty sweet! =D
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    More competition is good. This is exactly the kind of thing needed to kick Android handset makers in the butt.
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by metalspring View Post
    Why would Samsung care? Even if sales went down on the NEXUS and up on Windows Phones they're still going to get money. Which is what it comes down to. Samsung is a company and they want to make money. So they'll support multiple Operating Systems so more of their products get pushed out.

They just aren't like Motorola when it comes to OS dedication.
    jroc likes this.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Well, good luck to them. I would never count them out with the money they have behind them but what Android had was not only a big marketing push with money behind them BUT a massive hole in the market left by Microsoft abandoning Windows Mobile, RIM's ineptitude in bringing out competitive products and Apple with a totally locked down ecosystem. with Windows phone, Microsoft is trying to push a product with most of Apple's negatives and none of the positives. Maybe they have enough money to trick stupid, uninformed people into buying their products.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    I'd like to get a Winphone for my work phone. I hear its actually a very nice OS for phones.
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Windows8 is actually pretty cool -at least on a tablet. I'm writing this from an iconia w500 with win8 dev preview and I'm blown away in spite of the ugly tiles. In fact, since I got this 2 weeks ago, I haven't touched my a500. You can get win8 to boot on 64mb of ram. Battery longevity is still an issue but considering all the background services is not too bad (4-6hrs). So far this thing has been able to handle everything I have thrown at it with no complains, including dev studio 10. Tried fedora but the lack of drivers and poor batt life (2hrs) made me abandoned it (a shame because it looks and feels better than Ubuntu by far.) I do freely admit I am a windows fan boy (been using it since 2.1 maybe? -when you had to c:\windows\win.exe to start it.) It was such a nice change from my dad's beloved macII, which I despised as a child...
  11. Kernel Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    f1vefour
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus Toro
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    The Droid series is a perfect example of Marketing dollars pushing a product. It just works.
    Difference being Droid devices are worth the marketing dollars that were spent, with Windows 8 I would say not so much...but each to his or her own.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links