DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Koush Releases Clockworkmod Tether Alpha - No Root Required

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Twitter
    wicked_E46
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member

Koush Releases Clockworkmod Tether Alpha - No Root Required

Good news for those who aren't rooted. Our friend Koush, maker of ClockworkMod Recovery along with numerous apps in the market including the ever useful ROM Manager, has released ClockworkMod Tether Alpha, which like other tethering apps allows you to use your phone’s data connection to get internet access on your desktop or laptop. However, his method does not require root. In order to achieve this, the app will need to install a virtual network adapter on your computer; so there is a PC side install. Alright, so it’s no secret that other rootless tethers exist, so what makes this option stand out. Well, aside from its prominent creator, the app functions as a proxy, and not as a NAT/masquerade solution that other tether solutions use. Koush acknowledges carriers can still check for http user agent string, but he has already devised ideas to work around that.

I'd like to remind you all that at this point, this app is still in Alpha stages. As Koush writes
    “The UI is pretty rough, the icons, and general app design are not final. I am just looking to make sure the underlying services all work properly.”

Grab it today from these download links.

Windows: http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/TetherWindowsSetup.msi
    Linux: http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/tether-linux.tgz
    Mac: http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/tether-mac.zip

The above links should automatically install the Android portion if you have USB debugging enabled on the phone, but if something goes awry, here's the Android APK:
    http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/Tether.apk

Koush did not provide any installation instructions as he posted this on Google+

I am intentionally not providing any installation instructions, because I feel that if the app can't be set up without installation instructions, I have failed to make it easy enough to use.
    So please provide any feedback you may have if you have a hiccup during installation! (The final market released product will have instructions though)

This version will time bomb on January 7th. I'll release new versions before then, so if the app stops working, just check back here.

Thanks all!

Source: Google+

** DroidForums.net does not condone, endorse, or encourage the use of any Tether Apps. Use at your own discretion.
    BhamItGeek likes this.

2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I have a question, which I do not bring up to stir up controversy; rather it's been sitting in the back of my mind bothering me; so I have to ask.

Why are threads discussing things like this okay? It's circumventing a PAID service that Verizon provides, and providing unpaid access to a paid service. Now, I am not the moral police, and I have no problem with people doing this personally. As a matter of fact, I spent hours creating my own kernel to do this back in the OG Droid days.

However, why are any threads discussing app piracy OR warranty fraud immediately shut down, yet these threads are allowed to continue? Stealing tethering services from Verizon is no more legal that app piracy or warranty fraud; yet it's thrown around here like it's an acceptable practice.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Cool!
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    @Body_Bagz
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    I have a question, which I do not bring up to stir up controversy; rather it's been sitting in the back of my mind bothering me; so I have to ask.

Why are threads discussing things like this okay? It's circumventing a PAID service that Verizon provides, and providing unpaid access to a paid service. Now, I am not the moral police, and I have no problem with people doing this personally. As a matter of fact, I spent hours creating my own kernel to do this back in the OG Droid days.

However, why are any threads discussing app piracy OR warranty fraud immediately shut down, yet these threads are allowed to continue? Stealing tethering services from Verizon is no more legal that app piracy or warranty fraud; yet it's thrown around here like it's an acceptable practice.
    Just playing Devils Advocate here...but, this is USB tethering, NOT WiFI/HotSpot tethering, which is where all the brouhaha usually stems from. I havent checked lately, but does Verizon charger for all tethering, or just the WiFi / HotSpot tethering service?

Bagz Droid Razr, Most Nearly Bone Stock
    ...Rooted...ROM`d too many times to list...and still kicking iPhones in the @$$ on a daily basis....

5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyBagz View Post
    Just playing Devils Advocate here...but, this is USB tethering, NOT WiFI/HotSpot tethering, which is where all the brouhaha usually stems from. I havent checked lately, but does Verizon charger for all tethering, or just the WiFi / HotSpot tethering service?
    It does.

Looking at my Bionics Wireless and Network section it has:

Tethering & Hotspot
    Share your phone's mobile data connection via USB or as a Mobile Hotspot.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    OG Droid Ret. Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    I have a question, which I do not bring up to stir up controversy;
    I don't want to do that either, and the Moderators of the area may even move this to the off topic thread, but here goes.... I'm just a simple user. Not a Developer, or and OP or Ninja. Mostly I lurk around trying to learn. If Android is truly an Open Source product, and I believe it is, there has to be a place to discuss and develop the things that are not yet out there. I would even suspect that Big Red monitors this, and other forums, to learn what is going on in the development community, so they can come up with way's to KEEP MAKING MONEY. That, after all, is their primary reason for existing! Their primary duty to their shareholders is to return as large a profit as they can. Lopping off threads because they may be offensive, or immoral is the wrong path to go down. Each of us knows what is within the bounds of morality, and can choose a path for ourselves. While we may not be well versed on every technically legal or illegal aspect of Application Development, we pretty much know if the carrier charges for a product, and we go around that, were doing a bad thing.... IF we CHOOSE to use it! The first guy to develop a hand held, projectile launching device was not necessarily guilty of murder. Neither am I for having more firearms than teeth. How I choose to use my equipment is up to me. I pay for my sins, and I know the consequences of my actions. Regardless of their legality.
    Don't try to run, you'll only die tired...

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Finally!
    Rooted, Unlocked, and READY TO ROCK!
    ROM - AOKP Milestone 6
    Kernel - Lean Kernel
    Theme - Cobalt

Rooted Droid Original using the smooth way to go:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...s-version.html

Try DropBox - sync files on any Android Phone - to any computer with Internet Access!
    http://db.tt/8tFXvhz
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Hmmm wont install for me. "There is a problem with the Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact support..."
    Moto Droid = REVIVED!

I take like 3 sccops of Jackd 3D a day... Ive also seen Thor 3D like 4 times
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Will this app allow us to usb tether our phone to a tablet?
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Nexus and Nexus7
    Overly simple install runs great on OSX Lion
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    I do not believe VZW charges for any other tethering other than Mobile Hotspot. So USB tethering is completely legitimate. I am using BT tethering with no issues at all albeit it does not fully utilize the 4G but that is a limitation of current BT implementations.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links