DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Verizon explains the reason behind LTE outages.

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member

Verizon explains the reason behind LTE outages.

As many owners of LTE handsets have seen, December was one heck of a month for LTE outages. In all fairness to Verizon Wireless though the network has been pretty stout. Over the past year the network has had no major outages except for one glitch back in April. We here at Droid Forums are going to steer clear of bashing Verizon because we perceive it as nothing more than growing pains. This is not to say that customers being irate over the outages have no right to be because in reality they do. A lot of people depend on their phones for business and when the data flow ceases it disrupts the individuals capability to do business.

GigaOM sat down with Verizon Wireless VP of network engineering Mike Haberman to discuss just what has been going on with all the recent outages and explain what steps Verizon was going to take to ensure that they don’t happen again.

Haberman explained "Being the pioneers, we’re going to experience some growing pains. These issues we’ve been experiencing are certainly regrettable but they were unforeseeable.”

He goes on to say that all three outages were caused by problems in Verizon’s service delivery core. This is called IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) — which replaces the old signaling architectures used in 2G and 3G networks. Verizon’s network is the first implementation of IMS in an LTE network and it has continued to be a problem spot ever since April, when a software bug originating deep within the IMS core led to a complete failure, kicking LTE customers off both Verizon’s 3G and 4G networks nationwide.

Fast forward to December 7th, the first outage since April. Haberman explained that this was caused by the failure of a back-up communications database. The second, last week, was the result of an IMS element not responding properly, while Wednesday’s outage was caused by two IMS elements not communicating properly. He goes on to explain that every subsequent outage is the result of a new bug and they are going to do their best to minimize them in the future.

There you have it folks. It's a baby learning to walk and there really is no way around this right now. From reading the rest of the interview it does appear that they will be on top of these outages because they are geographically "segmenting" the regions thus cutting down the likelihood of a nationwide outage. Plus you really can't get too mad at them when they say things like.....

“Our goal is to ensure that our 4G network meets the same high standard that our 3G network does. We’re not there yet, but we’ll get there.”

Source: GigaOM

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    josefius
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I hope they get there, I'm sure it will be sorted out eventually though.
    --

4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    I don't live in a large city so I'm just thankful to have 4G here. The outages suck but I can live with them.
    Droid Maxx
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Too fast, too soon, too many customers.

Everyone I've talked to in the Telecom business, says everyone is surprised by the demand. (Seems kinda dumb, because of the devices they're selling, but,,)
    Nobody has the bandwidth for demand.

I seem to remember 3G troubles a few years ago, and now 3G is as reliable as it gets.
    I almost want to keep my old 3G phone and sit on my upgrade for a while.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    I can live with these growing pains. This is worlds better than my experience with AT&T.

For the 7 months I was with AT&T I dropped calls like _--_ from a donkey. Constantly, everywhere, every day.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    AT&T SGS2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I can live with these growing pains. This is worlds better than my experience with AT&T.

For the 7 months I was with AT&T I dropped calls like _--_ from a donkey. Constantly, everywhere, every day.
    You have the opposite experience. I never drop a call on AT&T and did all the time on Verizon. Also my HSPA+ competes just fine with LTE. Since I have a Skyrocket I am ready for LTE.

A few coworkers are annoyed with the outages on Verizon since they are in the field an rely heavily on Data for email.
    Samsung Galaxy S2 on AT&T
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg 23 View Post
    You have the opposite experience. I never drop a call on AT&T and did all the time on Verizon. Also my HSPA+ competes just fine with LTE. Since I have a Skyrocket I am ready for LTE.

A few coworkers are annoyed with the outages on Verizon since they are in the field an rely heavily on Data for email.
    Can you get download speeds north of 35MBit on HSPA+? I think not.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg 23 View Post

My wife still uses AT&T and she travels quite a bit, as do I. Her service everywhere is OK at best, and "pretty good" in only 2-3 cities that she travels to frequently. We live in D.C., compared to Verizon AT&T is still horrible. When we travel around town she asks to use my phone because of spotty service more often than she'd like to admit. When I first purchased an iPhone a few years ago AT&T had a huge nationwide outage, and I couldn't even make a phone call, let alone use data.

I had a HORRIBLE experience with AT&T and my wife currently uses AT&T, so I get to see the networks head-to-head. I have no idea why they use AT&T, maybe they get good rates. A lot of people don't notice how bad it really is because they don't have anything else to directly compare it to in real-time. If AT&T is superior in your neck of the woods, based on my experience, you are the exception. If you travel around the U.S. between large cities, using AT&T isn't the best choice.

If you can't tell I don't think very highly of AT&T, and I'm not even that "in love" with VZW.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I just wish verizon would do a better job communicating the reasons behind the outages and not wait months to let the costumers know. Another thing, when the outages happen verizons CSR dont even know there is an outage. Really?
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    RyanPm40
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Honestly, 4G isn't that great unless you're trying to tether a laptop. Aside from that, things load pretty quickly over 3G on our smartphones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links