DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [Quick Review] Galaxy Nexus

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by markwebb View Post
    ok. Left out one important feature: build quality = 5 or 6. Very cheap. I doubt these phones will last 6 months after hard use or normal wear and tear. We all know it is the software which makes this phone.
    Sour Grapes?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    RyanPm40
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    THANK-YOU for posting that the battery life isn't that bad.

Honestly, I read online, people are actually whining that 10-11 hours of battery life on the normal battery being "unacceptable". Do they realize this is a smart phone? and an LTE device? Even if it were a 3G-only device, 10-11 hours is not that bad. My Droid Incredible was probably about the same (or, honestly, worse). My Thunderbolt on 4G? PFFFT. That thing sucks battery so rapidly if it's pulling from nothing other than 4G, and probably only lasts about 9-10 hours on 3G.

Smartphones are like a laptop that you have on you at all times. Expect for the battery life not to last for 2-3 days like your old ones did, and learn to charge it. You cannot honestly tell me that within 10-11 hours, you are awake, using your phone, and away from a charger. Smartphone technology usually charges unbelievably quickly through a wall charger, any way, nowadays.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr HD Maxx
    I have had my Nexus since the 16th and I have been in love with it ever since. Heck! I think I love this more than my OG Droid (baby is still rocking out as my alarm clock - weather alert). As for the build quality: just what was mentioned above - it's good enough and I don't plan on cracking nuts with it.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    G-Nex (fon), OGD1(alarm clock)
    2 quick add-on/responses to themes in this thread:

Battery life is highly variable, and for me, the problems were programs running away with the OS. I re-installed a bunch of apps from my OG Droid 1, and not one at a time....then was getting really limited battery life. i took a deep breath, uninstalled everything that i had put on, and will add them as i want them. On 3g battery is beyond fine. on 4g, it lasts all day for me (so long as I dont stream movies or look at the screen all day), and i know it will get better with ROMs once i root it.

build quality is actually better than i was anticipating. i was nervous about all the plastic, but the battery case attachment is downright lock-solid, which is one of my primary concerns, since a loose battery case sucks in general, and is worse if you drop it. i am a little nervous about the glass, but i felt the same way about my OG droid and 37 drops later, it was OK. i'm hoping to NOT test my nexus in the same way.

that said, the device is still very much in the early adopter phase (ICS, first "google phone" on VZW, etc), and i went into it knowing that, and figure i wont get settled into my ideal usage till month 2 or 3 (same with my day 1 OG droid). the polish will come, and much of it is already here, but there are gonna be some quirks. (like my 6 hour battery life as some random (nonICS compatible?) apps ran away with the device OS preventing any sleep...lol)
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid1/DroidX
    It's funny when "No Hard Camera Button" is a "Bad" on a phone, kinda makes you think you're searching for something to not like.

It's also funny when considering a main feature of this phone is the lack of buttons it has.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    LTE Galaxy Nexus
    I have had this phone since launch day. While I find it everything and more, I disagree with one part of this review.

I'm not sure how you could rate the camera so high. I would have rated it more at 6.5/10. Coming from an OG Droid, it is still quite an improvement.

Besides that, the G.Nexus is excellent. I absolutely love this phone. I look forward to the future development and community that comes along with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by the901; 12-26-2011 at 03:05 PM.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D2
    Quote Originally Posted by rubiksc00p View Post
    The pentile matrix. It's not really noticeable and a whole lot less so than the Bionic, but it still is there if you look carefully.
    Really, I would have thought the fact it is a 720p display would have a made some differences.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid HTC Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by GTX1 View Post
    It's funny when "No Hard Camera Button" is a "Bad" on a phone, kinda makes you think you're searching for something to not like.

It's also funny when considering a main feature of this phone is the lack of buttons it has.
    I don't know about you, but I really like having a hard camera button. Would it keep me from buying the phone?, no, but it is something that I feel takes away points from the phone in my book.

I think its funny how people are treating the Nexus like its the one and true phone. They either deny or belittle negative aspects of the phone. As nice as this phone is, it is not perfect and there are things left to be desired from it.
    Last edited by funwheeldrive; 12-26-2011 at 04:00 PM.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    No sour grapes: I want the software, not the hardware. But the software will be coming. I have patience.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    TH3ORY ROM/[K]IN3TX 1.0
    Launcher Pro Plus

Support Your Developers!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    OP, thanks for the review!
    I got my GNex on release day, and I've been loving it ever since. After calibrating my battery and having several full charge/complete discharge cycles, I've gotten really good battery life. 14 hours with 3.5 hours screen/display time on.

I've had two Droid phones (the DroidX and the Bionic), and I think the build quality with this phone is more than acceptable. It's more stylish and classy than military-grade.

Very satisfied here!
    what?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links