DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Samsung Reveals Bad News: No ICS for Galaxy S & OG Galaxy Tab; Problem is TouchWiz

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Samsung Reveals Bad News: No ICS for Galaxy S & OG Galaxy Tab; Problem is TouchWiz

This isn't directly related to Verizon products, but is discussion-worthy regardless, and is likely a bit of news that could potentially anger some folks. Samsung just released a statement on their Korean "Samsung Tomorrow" Blog stating that the Galaxy S phone and the original Galaxy Tab will not be able to receive Android 4.0/ Ice Cream Sandwich. Their "explanation" was that because of the size of the RAM and ROM on both devices, they could not fit ICS and TouchWiz and other factory installed "experience-enhancing software" (bloatware) on the device together.

Share your thoughts on this.

Source: TheVerge
  2. Team Sourcery
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Phone
    Sourcerized GN
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Well, this looks like another place that the community would step in and make it right..
    n0yxl likes this.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    I guess it would be too much to ask for them to just not install TouchWiz and bloatware.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I guess it would be too much to ask for them to just not install TouchWiz and bloatware.
    +1

chachar
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid 4
    But then its no longer a differentiated product. I mean, noone buys phones for silly things like the latest software or nice screens, its all about unique software from the OEM. I mean look at the iPhone...

/sarcasam
    Last edited by B-Unit; 12-23-2011 at 11:16 AM.
    Narsil and ddfuji like this.
    DROID4: Rooted and OC Hacked
    DROID : SimplyStunning 5.6 1.2 Ghz ULV Kernel
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Doubt this would be a big deal what with one click root. Just means a stock user gets no love. Since I'm not really using my OG Droid for anything now I'd like to try ICS on it when it gets a more stable/working release. Phone was pretty good to me so I hate to just shelf it.
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I'm not really too disappointed, heck I never expected this phone to even get gingerbread and samsung surprised us with that. Plus I think most people will have been able to upgrade their fascinate (galaxy s) by the time it would even get ics

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic
    I'd have to agree with Dusty. What it amounts to is this "ICS will not fit on this device AFTER we install bloat-wiz and etc. Sorry, but you understand." Novel idea would be bloatless Vanilla route.

Sent from my TB using DroidForums
    Your money, your choice.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Surprise Surprise

Most likely the reason why a lot of phones won't see ICS.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Why they don't just install these as a removeable app is beyond me. For that matter, I keep saying go out and hire some of the great rom developers to do it right. I recognize the need/desire to differentiate with the custom UI's, but when your custom skin prevents upgrading the latest Android that is a serious issue and customer service failing.

Even from a pure selling standpoint, why they arbitrarily limit their potential market by making the custom UI unremoveable without root is mind-boggling. I doubt anyone would care if it was pre-installed by default, so long as it was easy to remove.

And clearly the wave of the future (or at least where things should be heading) is a Firefox-type launcher where you can install additional features as add-ons. You want to customize the notification bar? Boom, here's an apk to d/l and install otherwise no need to clutter up your OS if you don't want the feature.

It's obviously a completely foreign concept to the OEM's to develop leading software/apps that, if they choose, they could make exclusive to their phones. Looking at what Moto did with the RAZR and "smart" features, they should go buy Tasker or Locale, soup it up and offer as an exclusive on Moto phones. Put some resources behind it to make more user-friendly and you actually have a feature that becomes a REAL selling point (Blur seems only to serve to turn-off potential customers).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links