DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Verizon's Galaxy Nexus software update will adjust signal strength indicator.

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member

Verizon's Galaxy Nexus software update will adjust signal strength indicator.

Let's mark this one up as a strange way to handle an ongoing problem that a lot of users have been reporting with Verizon's Galaxy Nexus. The connectivity issues that have been a hot topic since the Galaxy Nexus was released on December 15th, are now being addressed by Verizon themselves and you may find yourself a little surprised.

In a statement made to ComputerWorld Magazine by VZW Spokeperson Brenda Raney, the upcoming software update is going to simply adjust the signal strength indicator. According to Raney's
    email “there is no issue with the performance of the device” and further stated that the Galaxy Nexus software update “will adjust the signal strength indicator to more closely match other Verizon Wireless devices.

We don't know how this is going to fly with the users who are plaqued by connectivity issues but from the looks of it Verizon does not see this as an issue other than the signal strength indicator needs to be "adjusted." Is there a problem being swept under the rug or is there in fact no problem at all other than an incorrect indicator reading reported by AnandTech?

Your thoughts?

Source: Computer World
    Last edited by dgstorm; 12-22-2011 at 09:21 AM.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    This could potentially be a valid fix if the software is basing it's connectivity on the bars being present. For example, if the software thinks it should switch from 4G to 3G because there is less than 1 bar of signal strength, but the signal is actually still good enough to hang on to 4G.
  4. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    I constantly get 3-4 bars, I expect the same after this update.

Really sounds like Verizon is trying to "sweep this under the rug" to me though.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post

Let's mark this one up as a strange way to handle an ongoing problem that a lot of users have been reporting with Verizon's Galaxy Nexus. The connectivity issues that have been a hot topic since the Galaxy Nexus was released on December 15th are now being addressed by Verizon themselves and you may find yourself a little surprised.

In a statement made to ComputerWorld Magazine by VZW Spokeperson Brenda Raney, the upcoming software update is going to simply adjust the signal strength indicator. According to Raney's
    email “there is no issue with the performance of the device” and further stated that the Galaxy Nexus software update “will adjust the signal strength indicator to more closely match other Verizon Wireless devices.

We don't know how this is going to fly with the users who are plaqued by connectivity issues but from the looks of it Verizon does not see this as an issue other than the signal strength indicator needs to be "adjusted." Is there a problem being swept under the rug or is there in fact no problem at all other than an incorrect indicator reading reported by AnandTech?

Your thoughts?

Source: Computer World
    Well I must have a bad device. Cause there are times I don't get any data in a place that I didn't have issues with getting data before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  6. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Centura
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    I constantly get 3-4 bars, I expect the same after this update.

Really sounds like Verizon is trying to "sweep this under the rug" to me though.
    There is no doubt that's what they're trying to do. However, I do also think that a lot of people on the forum are a bit harsh when it comes to PCS functionality. If you're on your phone constantly, like a lot of people around here, you would notice these things. However, with normal use, you probably wouldn't.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Yea, but people payed top dollar for this device. It should have as good a connection as the Rezound or my Bionic (after the update). It doesn't matter if the general public doesn't notice...and they will anyways if one of their friends has a Rezound for example and they see how much better the data connectivity is.
    combatmedic870 likes this.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    Yea, but people payed top dollar for this device. It should have as good a connection as the Rezound or my Bionic (after the update). It doesn't matter if the general public doesn't notice...and they will anyways if one of their friends has a Rezound for example and they see how much better the data connectivity is.
    That's my biggest complaint. I can sit my phone next to my wife's Rezound and have a +20 or more difference between the two. Just last night in our bedroom, I had +120 dBm and 99 asu and she had +86 dBm and 45 asu.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Sometimes I have a data connection, then I make a phone call (which of course turns off the data connection), and when the phone calls ends the data connection does NOT come back. The bars stay gray. If I reboot the phone, then it connects again and the bars are blue.

I've noticed the same thing when I turn on wifi. I have 3G, switch to wifi for use in my house, then I plan to leave the house so I turn wifi off. The 3G does NOT come back. I have to reboot the phone.

Doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes...
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    So VZW is going to tell me when I used to have 3g everywhere in my house and now I am lucky to connect and even get .5mbs download speeds that the reason is because the signal indicator is wrong? Yeah not buying it......
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    scorch3d
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 d2att
    Quote Originally Posted by kuuler View Post
    This could potentially be a valid fix if the software is basing it's connectivity on the bars being present. For example, if the software thinks it should switch from 4G to 3G because there is less than 1 bar of signal strength, but the signal is actually still good enough to hang on to 4G.
    this was my thought as well. in my area, sometimes i have less 4G bars than 3G, but if the 4G hangs on, then the speeds are far above 3G. I still have a ticket out with Tier3...need to check on it this morning.
    combatmedic870 likes this.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links