DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: [Breaking] Intel's First Android Smartphone!

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Tell me why I should care or want an Intel chip in my phone? Dual-booting windows is a possibility, no? (but clearly not the bloated windows until phones get a lot more horsepower than OEM's are willing to give us).
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post

Intel may be late to the Android game but that will be quickly forgotten when their new handset shows off it's prowess. Propped up by the Medfield system-on-chip this handset looks very promising. The gentlemen over at Technology Review were lucky enough to get their hands on a couple of Medfield prototypes running Android (Gingerbread.)

The phone is described as the size of an iPhone but lighter due to less metal and more plastic and close to the thickness of an iPad2. The guys had this to say about the handset:

"The phone was powerful and pleasing to use, on a par with the latest iPhone and Android handsets. It could play Blu-Ray-quality video and stream it to a TV if desired; Web browsing was smooth and fast."

Before anyone gets too excited or not about the design of the handset, the picture above is what's known as a "reference design." Essentially these devices are designed to instruct and inspire manufacturers interested in building products around Intel's latest technology.

The question that is probably on everyone's mind is when can we expect to see these Android devices powered by the Medfield? According to Stephen Smith, VP of Intel's architecture group "We expect products based on these to be announced in the first half of 2012." With that said, CES may not be out of the question folks, but it's still wait and see.

Source: Technology Review, Gizmodo

damn..... that looks tough.... pls remove softkeys
  3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    I hope they don't use a Celeron.

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I like the MOTO capacitive buttons.

If it had a slide out 5 row KB, 4G, FFC, dual core 2+Ghz, 1GB RAM, 4.5 inch AMOLED screen, and an unlocked bootloader, I would buy this (even at full retail) in a heartbeat!
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk629 View Post
    If the Bionic and iPhone 4 had a baby it would look like that pre render.
    Pre render? It's an actual reference device they're testing. I think that's an actual photo of the device.

Edit: I wonder who actually builds this reference design? Part of me wants to say Foxconn, due to it's similarities to the iPhone; but another part wants to say Motorola because of the capacitive button design. I know Intel doesn't build devices themselves. I am pretty sure Foxconn makes Intel's motherboards for PCs, so maybe it is them.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 12-21-2011 at 11:20 PM.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by guidot View Post
    I hope they don't use a Celeron.

A Celeron would destroy a Medfield performance-wise, though! Although you probably wouldn't get enough life out of the battery to actually use it.

Modern Celerons are basically slightly stripped down Core i3's, and are very capable performance-wise.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @Sarreq
    Phone
    SammyGS3 / ParanoidAndroid2.54
    I think it's more likely something descended from StrongARM or XScale, but the Logitech Revue is x86 based, so who knows, maybe it'll be a CedarTrail or OakTrail Atom.

edit I just noticed this on the Atom z6xx series product specs page (here):

• Port-of-choice operating systems are supported on this platform include Windows*7, Windows Embedded Standard* 7, MeeGo* 1.2. and Android* 3.x (Honeycomb*)
    single-core with hyper-threading (2 logical cores, if not physical) @1.2 or 1.5GHz, GMA600 video, DDR2-800 memory. certainly not horrible

edit2 didn't notice the article linked in the OP. hopefully "Atom Variant" doesn't mean "heavily stripped down"
    Last edited by sarreq; 12-22-2011 at 02:02 AM.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post

Intel may be late to the Android game but that will be quickly forgotten when their new handset shows off it's prowess. Propped up by the Medfield system-on-chip this handset looks very promising. The gentlemen over at Technology Review were lucky enough to get their hands on a couple of Medfield prototypes running Android (Gingerbread.)

The phone is described as the size of an iPhone but lighter due to less metal and more plastic and close to the thickness of an iPad2. The guys had this to say about the handset:

"The phone was powerful and pleasing to use, on a par with the latest iPhone and Android handsets. It could play Blu-Ray-quality video and stream it to a TV if desired; Web browsing was smooth and fast."

Before anyone gets too excited or not about the design of the handset, the picture above is what's known as a "reference design." Essentially these devices are designed to instruct and inspire manufacturers interested in building products around Intel's latest technology.

The question that is probably on everyone's mind is when can we expect to see these Android devices powered by the Medfield? According to Stephen Smith, VP of Intel's architecture group "We expect products based on these to be announced in the first half of 2012." With that said, CES may not be out of the question folks, but it's still wait and see.

Source: Technology Review, Gizmodo

idk, to me it kinda looks like the original droid line minus the keyboard slider (droid 1, droid 2, droid 3)
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    thc thunderbolt
    With HTC selling over half a mill phones a day its no wonder apple wants some of the pie!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by metalspring View Post
    idk, to me it kinda looks like the original droid line minus the keyboard slider (droid 1, droid 2, droid 3)
    Word, I was thinking that's how the Droid 5 should look. Clearly the 4 will not be up to snuff for me.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links