DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wicked
  • 1 Post By tjk629

Thread: Galaxy Nexus Teardown iFixit Style

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    997 times
    Twitter
    wicked_E46
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member

Galaxy Nexus Teardown iFixit Style

Most of us have spent what seems like months obsessing over every little bit of Galaxy Nexus rumor/news thatís crossed the interwebz, and what better to celebrate its (hopefully) impending launch than to watch one get torn apart? Thatís right folks ó iFixit is at it yet again, and this time itís the GSM Galaxy Nexus thatís going under the knife.

Like they always do, today theyíve tore it down and they give us a look at every little piece inside this new device. Plenty of pictures are available here.

Source: Galaxy Nexus Forum via iFixit
    tp7six likes this.

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    D1, X, Tbolt, DC, DB, GNex, S4
    Premium Member
    Thanks wicked.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    New to android or just need to brush up on the basics? Abe has every thing you need Here:
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net

Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

4. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    997 times
    Twitter
    wicked_E46
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    Thanks wicked.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    no prob.

5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Totally NSFW! Name:  48px-Face-blushsvg.png
Views: 255
Size:  3.5 KB
    techRob likes this.
  6. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Can't believe they're tearing this sucker down and I'm still waiting
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Twitter
    K3nL
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Who cares how you take it apart. I just want to hold the nexus in my hand and caress its sleek design and enjoy ICS....
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by kdroyd View Post
    Who cares how you take it apart. I just want to hold the nexus in my hand and caress its sleek design and enjoy ICS....
    What a creepo. Think you need a gf buddy lol

I never really did see the point or benefit in these in-depth teardowns to the end user. Just seems like something that was started by bored geeks who were given the phones to test/review. Unless you're planning to void your warranty, you can't really make any modifications to the hardware so it seems rather pointless to know how it's put together. Maybe I'm just being naive though.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweettooth View Post
    What a creepo. Think you need a gf buddy lol

I never really did see the point or benefit in these in-depth teardowns to the end user. Just seems like something that was started by bored geeks who were given the phones to test/review. Unless you're planning to void your warranty, you can't really make any modifications to the hardware so it seems rather pointless to know how it's put together. Maybe I'm just being naive though.
    An in depth breakdown of a devices hardware can help the community in a big way. I am still using the droid 1 and back when the fm radio apps were a big crave we had developers trying to port different fm radio apps to the OG droid, but thanks to a hardware breakdown we found out that there was no connection allowing this modification to be made so all attempts at the port failed.
    Also the breakdown showed how the build quality caused audio headset problems because of a bad connection, or lack there of, between the audio jack and the board it rested on.

Overall it helps people who experience problems get answers if it is hardware related, and also helps developers learn what kind of software modifications they have a shot of success at.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by ggtus View Post
    An in depth breakdown of a devices hardware can help the community in a big way. I am still using the droid 1 and back when the fm radio apps were a big crave we had developers trying to port different fm radio apps to the OG droid, but thanks to a hardware breakdown we found out that there was no connection allowing this modification to be made so all attempts at the port failed.
    Also the breakdown showed how the build quality caused audio headset problems because of a bad connection, or lack there of, between the audio jack and the board it rested on.

Overall it helps people who experience problems get answers if it is hardware related, and also helps developers learn what kind of software modifications they have a shot of success at.
    So it sounds more like a tool for diagnosing problems. But again, what does that really do for the end user? So I find out a piece of hardware is incapable of doing something - the only difference between now and prior to the teardown is what? The closure? Maybe I should have been more specific or used different wording. When I say end user, I'm referring to the people who just use the phone, which is probably 90% or more of the market. I'm not talking about the handful of garage/basement hackers who are willing to special order parts, crack the phone open and solder in new chips, make heavy software modifications, etc...
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweettooth View Post
    When I say end user, I'm referring to the people who just use the phone, which is probably 90% or more of the market. I'm not talking about the handful of garage/basement hackers who are willing to special order parts, crack the phone open and solder in new chips, make heavy software modifications, etc...
    The target audience of these tear-downs is your other 10%. Some of us just like seeing what makes our toys tick.
    Your mileage may always vary.

Links