DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: NVIDIA Officially Announces Quad-Core Tegra 3 with Comparison and Demo Videos

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2047 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

NVIDIA Officially Announces Quad-Core Tegra 3 with Comparison and Demo Videos

NVIDIA outed their "Kal-El" chip which officially becomes the Tegra 3 Quad-core today. Although we have known much about this new tech for quite some time, they have included some new and interesting details about the chip, as well as some demo and comparison videos. One of the newest bits of info they shared was that the chip really has 5 cores instead of just 4. The fifth core, called the "companion core", is what primarily runs things. It handles low-power tasks like listening to music or regular everyday uses. The other cores only kick in, when more power-hungry computations are needed. This design is to facilitate more efficient battery consumption and still give the chip ample power for the most demanding apps and games when it needs it.

Additionally, NVIDIA shared that the GPU will be a 12-core behemoth! This will give game developers a lot more power to tap into, so they can unleash their creativity to make things look more amazing in games. But, don't take our word for it. Check out these great videos that really showcase the amazing advancements in this technology!

Source: NVIDIA
    wicked, jroc and CJM like this.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Oh my god, I have a woody. Lmao!

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain
    Member #
    Liked
    997 times
    Twitter
    wicked_E46
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    holy smokes

6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    We would still not see the true multi-core power of the device harnessed unless the Android (OS itself) and the apps are tweaked/tuned to handle these capabilities. I'd also like to see how is the battery usage with these kind of multi-core CPU based chipsets.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    The first video really shows the power of this new processor. Fast fwd to 1:40 and you will see what I mean.
    jroc likes this.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Well...by the time a makes a phone with a quad core comes out, maybe one of these cuz I like what I hear about the 5th core...it will probably be around upgrade time again. Prefect for those getting a phone now.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    The comparison video truly looks like a marketing video and reinforces that we will not truly know what the devices these go in are capable of or how they compare to the competition until we have them in our hands. They make it seem like everything prior to the Tegra 3 is mega choppy and completely unplayable whereas nothing can possibly stand in the Tegra's way and new environments and effects will automatically appear in games with it, which is crap. Nice marketing for tech n00bs though.
    jroc likes this.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    The great thing about the Tegra 3 is that you can look forward to an amazing 1 hour of battery time........wait is that not a good selling point?
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Lets not bash battery life just yet I have two tegra 2 devices and both have great battery life both tablet and x2. Battery life will depend heavly on the OS
    Gingerbread strugles with two cores let alone 5. ICS maybe the saving grace wont know tell its in a few devices. but the Tegra 3 maynot be for sub 4.5 inch type devices to begin with. Not to mention the battery strain that LTE already puts on the device. we bash cpus and cell signal for being battery hogs but keep in mind those technologies have grown in leaps and bounds in the last three years. But Battery Life has yet to make any major leaps in years its not like your seeing a new battery attached to these devices. your asking them to be uber super while being tethered to geezer power sources. With the new chips and LTE batteries need to change become smaller and hold more power longer as well as demand the new chip sets use less power. Then you will have a phone/ tablet that will have a usable battery life. tell then we really cant complain. It would be like asking an electric car to get 100s of miles when using Duracell D batteries.
    jroc likes this.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    team bamf 1.25
    franco francisco milestone 3 kernel
    love this phone best android phone yet
    custom roms and some apps fixed audio issue nexus is perfect now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links