DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Bionic Camera Image Sharpness - Amazing!

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Bionic Camera Image Sharpness - Amazing!

There are lots of attributes about camera performance that can be measured - image sharpness is among the most critical.

For the Bionic, apps like Camera Zoom Fx address other attributes like shutter lag, app start-up and recycle times - these are easy software fixes that the upcoming Moto update is rumored to address as well.

But who knew that the Bionic would provide the sharpest images when compared to the iPhone4, Galaxy SII and HTC Amaze? And the Shoot Out was done by PCMag, not some rag/forum with a dog in the fight.

And it's not like the Bionic "edged" out the iPhone for image sharpness, it smoked it! Read here:

Smartphone Camera Shoot-Out: iPhone 4S vs. Droid Bionic vs. Galaxy S II vs. HTC Amaze | PCMag.com

Sure, there are other attributes that contribute to image quality, but this ShootOut didn't include them.
    Last edited by Shadez; 10-28-2011 at 01:51 PM.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Phone
    Moto LS355
    I don't know how they determined that the Bionic won, but comparing these two pictures, I'd say the Bionic photo looks like crap, as usual. I was using the camera on my friend's Bionic last night, was a POS. Can't wait to get my Nexus!

iPhone

Bionic
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    I really can't see how people are taking bad pictures with the Bionic? Mine are coming out flawlessly! Either there was a bad batch of phones distributed or it's user error...if you wait for the focus square to turn green you will get perfect pictures all the time. The only bad pictures I took were the ones that I was in a hurry.

Now if you want to debate the SLOWNESS of the Bionic's camera then I TOTALLY agree that it's slow at taking pictures...BUT faster than my OG Droid...so I guess it's all relative!
    jntdroid and jroc like this.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    The Bionic underexposed this one - it's a variable, and it's software driven. Using a typical replacement like Camera Zoom Fx might have yielded a different exposure.

But image information acquired at the time of the exposure can't be added later. The article names the tool they used to measure sharpness.

As I said, there's more to a good photo than sharpness, but the lack of sharpness is typically not a good thing!
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Phone
    Moto LS355
    That's the whole problem, the slowness. You have to stand like a damn frozen tripod to be able to get a sharp pic. By the time the Bionic decides to focus, capture and process the photo, either you or your subject have moved a bit, causing a blurred photo.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespe View Post
    I really can't see how people are taking bad pictures with the Bionic? Mine are coming out flawlessly! Either there was a bad batch of phones distributed or it's user error...if you wait for the focus square to turn green you will get perfect pictures all the time. The only bad pictures I took were the ones that I was in a hurry.

Now if you want to debate the SLOWNESS of the Bionic's camera then I TOTALLY agree that it's slow at taking pictures...BUT faster than my OG Droid...so I guess it's all relative!
    Agreed. I get the best camera-based photos yet with the Bionic. Use a replacement app to make the Bionic very snappy (no pun intended).
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Phone
    Moto LS355
    Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    The Bionic underexposed this one - it's a variable, and it's software driven. Using a typical replacement like Camera Zoom Fx might have yielded a different exposure.

But image information acquired at the time of the exposure can't be added later. The article names the tool they used to measure sharpness.

As I said, there's more to a good photo than sharpness, but the lack of sharpness is typically not a good thing!
    It's more than just an exposure difference in those pictures. It's also the white balance, and the saturation. All of which combined make the Bionic picture look worse, even if it is sharper. Having to add a 3rd party app to make your camera work correctly is insulting. I don't understand why Motorola just can't get it right with cameras.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid!
    Man with the OG Droid I always felt like I was one of those Olde Timey photographers in the Old West asking people to sit there for a half hour before the flash went off.
    jcardona1 likes this.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    Now I know a lot of people probably won't agree with this, but IN MY EXPERIENCE, it seems to be mostly user error. I took the same picture 2-3 times with 3 different programs (MIUI, CameraFX, and Stock), and almost each one turned out differently. The ones that did turn out though were undoubtedly some of the best cell phone camera pictures I've ever seen. I'll try and upload one later. Point is, I think the Bionic camera at this stage is an art. It's not as point-and-shoot as it should be, but when done correctly, the results are FANTASTIC.

I do agree that of those two pics the iphone looks better but...I have my own eyes and my own experience to draw from and know the Bionic has the potential to look beautiful.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
    It's more than just an exposure difference in those pictures. It's also the white balance, and the saturation. All of which combined make the Bionic picture look worse, even if it is sharper. Having to add a 3rd party app to make your camera work correctly is insulting. I don't understand why Motorola just can't get it right with cameras.
    All your concerns are totally addressed, IMHO, by using an alternate app such as Camera FX. We all agree the stock apps sucks. And I am in no way insulted that I have to use it. The only thing I'm concerned with, in issues such as this, is the final result.
    Baton Rouge, LA
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links