DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Galaxy Nexus Coming Out November 10th?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
    Tech specs aside, the RAZR has the thin factor going for it. Putting aside rational / logical thought, the average person walking into Verizon wants a phone that is fast, looks pretty and is light/thin/"cool" to show off to friends. While we (as tech geeks) know what the Nexus is from a possibility standpoint, most users will look at the RAZR and think "oooh cool, it's so thin! And I LOVED my old RAZR! I'll get this one." The Nexus looks very similar to the previous Galaxy S series devices, and a lot like an iPhone (to the average consumer).

Of course, these same people might look at "Android 4.0" vs. "Android 2.3.x" and immediately assume "oh, this RAZR is old, I want the newer one."

For me... RAZR. I'm not a developer, and got all of the ROM-flashing out of my system during the first year or so with my OG Droid. Now I just want a phone that runs flawlessly without crashing on important things like phone calls and corporate email. I'll take the thinner, tough-as-nails form factor of the Moto over the "customization" of the Nexus since I'm not going to be screwing with the phone any more.
    It's not mostly the rom'ing factor that attracts me to the Nexus, but more so the OTA update factor. Nexus phones are updated rapidly, and it will always be nice to know that for the most part, I will be running the "latest and greatest" from Google. In addition, the Nexus series is considered the epitome of Android, and that is what I want. I want how Android was initially intended to be, without bloatware and off-the-wall color schemes. I consider the rom'ing factor simply a benefit, not a reason to buy the phone. Having the choice to load roms will at the very least keep my phone tolerable during my contract period. That's why, in my opinion, it is a win-win. You've got the choice to have the latest from Google or the ability to load a plethora of custom roms to your liking.
    Last edited by patmw123; 10-22-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    trestevenson likes this.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    ^Awesome! Cant wait!
  3. _33
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    T-Mo Note 3! (goodbye verizon)
    Any chance Best Buy will be getting this??
    2 OG Droid 1 Droid 2 1 Droid 2 Global
    1 HTC Incredible 1 HTC Thunderbolt
    2 Galaxy Nexus
    1 Galaxy S III 1 Note II Rooted, not ROM'ed
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by _33 View Post
    Any chance Best Buy will be getting this??
    It has been seen in their cellebrite system so yes, I believe it will come to best buy. See the link below.

Galaxy Nexus Also Shows Up in Best Buy Cellebrite System, Will It Be Their Exclusive? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    Last edited by patmw123; 10-22-2011 at 02:56 PM.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by patmw123 View Post
    It's not mostly the rom'ing factor that attracts me to the Nexus, but more so the OTA update factor. Nexus phones are updated rapidly, and it will always be nice to know that for the most part, I will be running the "latest and greatest" from Google. In addition, the Nexus series is considered the epitome of Android, and that is what I want. I want how Android was initially intended to be, without bloatware and off-the-wall color schemes. I consider the rom'ing factor simply a benefit, not a reason to buy the phone. Having the choice to load roms will at the very least keep my phone tolerable during my contract period. That's why, in my opinion, it is a win-win. You've got the choice to have the latest from Google or the ability to load a plethora of custom roms to your liking.
    I think people are discounting Moto too quickly, given the recent acquisition by Google. I wouldn't be shocked to see Google loosen the reigns on Motorola handsets once the deal is 100% complete. What then? Now suddenly Googarola's devices might be unlocked and rapidly updated as well. The fact that ICS is destined for the RAZR as soon as it is suggests this could be possible.

While I understand the bloatware, most of it can be replaced / hidden / removed with different applications or skins. Since most people who tinker with the phone will do that to their Nexus phones anyway, what difference does it make? Especially if the RAZR is expandable through a memory card (plenty of room for apps beyond the crap preloaded by Moto/VZW).

I'm not saying people should buy the RAZR over the Nexus; I just think the RAZR deserves a LOT more respect than its getting from the Android community.
    Today my OG Droid is loaded with:
    -D1-MIUI V4.0
    -ChevyNo1 1.2ghz ULV kernel
    -Themeless (for now!)

Tomorrow? Who knows.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 liberty and anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
    I think people are discounting Moto too quickly, given the recent acquisition by Google. I wouldn't be shocked to see Google loosen the reigns on Motorola handsets once the deal is 100% complete. What then? Now suddenly Googarola's devices might be unlocked and rapidly updated as well. The fact that ICS is destined for the RAZR as soon as it is suggests this could be possible.

While I understand the bloatware, most of it can be replaced / hidden / removed with different applications or skins. Since most people who tinker with the phone will do that to their Nexus phones anyway, what difference does it make? Especially if the RAZR is expandable through a memory card (plenty of room for apps beyond the crap preloaded by Moto/VZW).

I'm not saying people should buy the RAZR over the Nexus; I just think the RAZR deserves a LOT more respect than its getting from the Android community.
    I have been wondering the same...with Google and Moto...the phones should be a Ios nightmare....woohoo..no offense ios...but google is up to being a fighter..lol

You juss been TAPPED! by the drummer
    LIQUID 3.0 or Anything but Stock!!!!
    <><>-------------------PEACE---------------------<><>
    Tank_Tak likes this.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i dont trust this map. the razr period starts at 10/27 in this map when the official announcement for it is that it is coming in early november. unless ofcourse if this is the price to preorder.
    Droid 1

Roms I have used: Ultimate Droid, BB and petes gpa's, pe, cyan, ss,miui, liquid, and chevy.

Now-[U]GPA19

Galaxy Nexus!

Roms i have used:Revolution, romans, zygot, codenamedroid, Gummynex

Now-romans with Lean Kernel.

Android Rule
    1. When saying what phone or rom you have, make sure to include the word rocking or rockin as a verb in the sentence.
  8. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    The tenth is OK by me. Would prefer tomorrow though...
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 liberty and anything
    Quote Originally Posted by JSM9872 View Post
    The tenth is OK by me. Would prefer tomorrow though...
    I'm trying to make this happen Jsm...Hope soon you and I will be Flashing Nexus style!!

You juss been TAPPED! by the drummer
    LIQUID 3.0 or Anything but Stock!!!!
    <><>-------------------PEACE---------------------<><>
  10. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member

7:30 vzw pay attention...other carriers are allowing us to remove bloatware.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Links