DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Verizon Doesn't Like The Idea Of Open Internet” – Appeals FCC Net Neutrality Decision

1. DF News Team/Mod
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Twitter
    @juliothestar
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Premium Member

Verizon Doesn't Like The Idea Of Open Internet” – Appeals FCC Net Neutrality Decision

Verizon doesn’t like the idea of “open internet.” At least not the idea of it potentially cutting into their profits. Today, Verizon filed an appeal in federal court claiming the rules of “Net Neutrality” are unnecessary and will create confusion for investors. Verizon released this statement on their website:

Verizon is fully committed to an open Internet. We are deeply concerned by the FCC’s assertion of broad authority to impose potentially sweeping and unneeded regulations on broadband networks and services and on the Internet itself. We believe this assertion of authority is inconsistent with the statute and will create uncertainty for the communications industry, innovators, investors and consumers.
    The Net Neutrality ruling just became official last week and if you haven’t been keeping up to date with your tech news, says that carriers can’t block legit law-abiding sites (or apps) that directly compete with their service. For instance, it would be like AT&T blocking you from visiting competing carrier Sprint’s website. Not cool, right? Here’s what the FCC had to say about the new Net Neutrality regulation that goes into effect November 20th.
    First, transparency: fixed and mobile broadband providers must disclose the network management practices, performance characteristics, and commercial terms of their broadband services. Second, no blocking: fixed broadband providers may not block lawful content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices; mobile broadband providers may not block lawful websites, or block applications that compete with their voice or video telephony services. Third, no unreasonable discrimination: fixed broadband providers may not unreasonably discriminate in transmitting lawful network traffic.
    The internet should be free and open (we like that word around here). Anyone that disagrees well, probably has the title of CEO somewhere in their name.

SOURCE: Verizon to FCC: Net Neutrality Rules 'Unneeded Regulation' (Phone Scoop)
    Last edited by CJM; 10-02-2011 at 06:41 PM.
    Kim_Jong_il likes this.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Can't believe somebody actually likes this post .
  4. DF News Team/Mod
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Twitter
    @juliothestar
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Premium Member
    Verizon is just mad because they will have to allow tethering apps in the market lol

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid HTC Incredible
    Did you see who it was? Not very surprising imo.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malvado View Post
    Verizon is just mad because they will have to allow tethering apps in the market lol

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!
    Since tethering apps don't "directly compete" with them, I'm pretty sure they will continue blocking them with no issue
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    Since tethering apps don't "directly compete" with them, I'm pretty sure they will continue blocking them with no issue
    Probably a gray area. Although I'd agree that's their motivation, along with the coming future of VoLTE - eventually all voice will be over data, I think, at least for mobile.

In some ways, it's a gray area for consumer benefit, too. They pay a lot of money for spectrum and the infrastructure. If people start "gaming" the system with tethering apps and things like GV or GTalk, then VZW has no choice but to raise the price for ALL customers. I don't need or want to use my mobile data as a home ISP, so it's good that VZW charges them rather than raising the price $5 for everyone.

Cafe-style pricing is nothing new nor unique to mobile voice/data. It's an important aspect of people paying for what they use.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Probably a gray area. Although I'd agree that's their motivation, along with the coming future of VoLTE - eventually all voice will be over data, I think, at least for mobile.

In some ways, it's a gray area for consumer benefit, too. They pay a lot of money for spectrum and the infrastructure. If people start "gaming" the system with tethering apps and things like GV or GTalk, then VZW has no choice but to raise the price for ALL customers. I don't need or want to use my mobile data as a home ISP, so it's good that VZW charges them rather than raising the price $5 for everyone.

Cafe-style pricing is nothing new nor unique to mobile voice/data. It's an important aspect of people paying for what they use.
    No you're right I just meant as far as how it is now and the phrase "direct competition". The way the tethering apps work is "piggybacking" off what's already there. They're not offering an alternate paid service that could exist without VZW. So there's no direct competition with Verizon, because if Verizon were to go bankrupt and disappear off the face of the earth, so would all the tethering apps that people use on Verizon. That's why I don't see how there can be an issue if Verizon blocks such apps. The apps depend on VZW in order to work, and won't work (as they are now) without VZW. I don't think there's any gray area in terms of "direct competition" but obviously I'm not the one making that decision.

They might provide some "indirect competition" as far as Verizon's ISP services, but again it's more of a "stealing service" issue then a "direct competition" issue.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Phone
    LG G2
    kim_jong_il likes this.
    lmao.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    TyrantII
    Phone
    Droid 3 (Previous OG A885)
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    No you're right I just meant as far as how it is now and the phrase "direct competition". The way the tethering apps work is "piggybacking" off what's already there. They're not offering an alternate paid service that could exist without VZW. So there's no direct competition with Verizon, because if Verizon were to go bankrupt and disappear off the face of the earth, so would all the tethering apps that people use on Verizon. That's why I don't see how there can be an issue if Verizon blocks such apps. The apps depend on VZW in order to work, and won't work (as they are now) without VZW. I don't think there's any gray area in terms of "direct competition" but obviously I'm not the one making that decision.

They might provide some "indirect competition" as far as Verizon's ISP services, but again it's more of a "stealing service" issue then a "direct competition" issue.
    Except the tethering App would work just fine if the Android system it's on is connected to the internet, through wired or wireless service.

While it make little sense, there's nothing making it use exclusive to VZW. Your logic there is flawed. You could very easily make such an app a mobile Wireless network repeater to extend service.
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Wouldn't they be concerned about the "Voice Over Internet" calling services. Go to Skype on your data plan and make all the calls you want to make without using a single calling minute. For those on unlimited data plans that could be significant. It could also be the end of unlimited data plans (yes I am starting to see everything as a threat to unlimited data).
    Baton Rouge, LA
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Links