DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Nielsen Report Indicates Android Doubled Adoption Rate of iOS Over Last 3 Months

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

New Nielsen Report Indicates Android Doubled Adoption Rate of iOS Over Last 3 Months

A new report from the marketing analysis company, Nielsen, shows that people who purchased smartphones over the last 3 months, bought twice as many Android phones as they did iPhones. According to the research, during the last 3 month period, ending in August, 56% of all smartphones bought by consumers were Androids, while 28% were the iPhone, 9% were Blackberry, and the final 6% were listed as "other."

Also, here's a quote from the BGR article with a few more tidbits,
    In terms of smartphone platform market share as of the month of August, Nielsen shows that 43% of smartphone owners had an Android device, 28% had an iOS smartphone and 18% owned a BlackBerry. Looking forward to the fourth quarter, however, Nielsen sees a big swing coming for iOS as Apple readies its next-generation iPhone 5. “Every time Apple launches a new iPhone or makes it available on a new wireless carrier, there is an increase in their sales,” Don Kellogg, Director of Telecom Research & Insights at Nielsen, wrote on the Nielsen’s blog. Smartphone owners made up 43% of the U.S. cell phone market in August according to Nielsen. A second chart from Nielsen’s report follows below.
    It'll be interesting to see how much the release of the iPhone 5 will impact Android sales, and for how long. If memory serves me, the last time this happened, when Verizon got the iPhone 4, things didn't swing toward Apple for very long... maybe a month or two. Still, even if that does happen, Apple's iOS has a big deficit to hurdle. It is unlikely they will surpass these numbers. What do you guys think?

Source: BGR and Nielsen
    xsylus likes this.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Don't think it will hurt it that much. if anything, it will be all the trendy people buying a new iPhone to replace their existing one. Apple releases one new phone will Android gets many new phones all year long. New technology is always right there while you have to not only wait for the new iPhone to come out, but usually the next iPhone too.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Twitter
    NeoPhoenixTE
    Phone
    Droid 4 (Maserati) - CM10.1.2
    Really, only one way to summarize my thoughts:

New Nielsen Report Indicates Android Doubled Adoption Rate of iOS Over Last 3 Months-challenge_accepted_amazing_feats_fails_wins_lolz_and_a_contest-s325x265-158648-535.png

(watch someone one-up me by Droid-ifying that meme)
    wicked likes this.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    The IP5 will be a little different as many were locked into AT&T (still are) and/or waiting for the IP5 when VZW launched the IPhone. So the market share will swing a fair amount because they get a huge surge around the annual release of their new model. Not sure what that amounts to, maybe 25% higher sales those few months after launch? So that would bump their share probably between 4-8% in Q4, and that's not all coming at the expense of Android (which has some very competitive phones coming out in its own right).
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Apple has maintained it's marketshare, for the most part, for the last year or so at about 28-30% and I think you may see that number increase a bit but at this point with all the phones Android has out and some big hitters lined up, it probably won't take a huge chunk away but the iPhone 5 will undoubtedly be the number 1 selling phone by far.
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTenderRebel View Post
    ... but the iPhone 5 will undoubtedly be the number 1 selling phone by far.
    Technically 3-4 phones, it's all generally reported as one but they are actually selling 3 generations to hit all price points. In that regard, Sammie is getting closer and mostly has multiple models of one line of phones, though there are more variants/names for different carriers.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Technically 3-4 phones, it's all generally reported as one but they are actually selling 3 generations to hit all price points. In that regard, Sammie is getting closer and mostly has multiple models of one line of phones, though there are more variants/names for different carriers.
    The highest priced one will still be the top selling phone by far even if there are two other variants.
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    It's not that Apple is any better, but loyal Apple customers have 2 choices really iPhone3g or iPhone4 so naturally those were the two highest selling smartphones and now if rumors prove true you have 3 more options, my guess is the 3gs is phased out completely and you will have 4 iPhones as opposed to what 100 android phones? So while the iPhone may sell more volume wise, doesn't necessarily equate to marketshare, although I do think it will take a small percentage back from Android.

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Twitter
    XSYLUS_DEV
    Phone
    DROID 4 • Cricket Wireless
    It's a game of numbers; Apple has one (1) - one iPhone. Yes there are different models of the iPhone but with each new model the older models become less relevant. Whereas Android has... a plethora of phones. Phones from different manufactures with different features and specs. Thus comparing the sales figures of Android phones (emphasis on the plural) to the sales figures of Apple's phone (singular) then in reality the numbers are skewed. A more balanced comparison would be to compare the iPhone to each individual Android device and see how it measures up. But by lumping ALL Android phones together it really inflates the results. In the end I don't think Apple is losing any sleep over this.
    “Innovation is not the product of logical thought..." ~Albert Einstein
    Liked
    57 times
    Phone
    Vzw Droid RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by xsylus View Post
    It's a game of numbers; Apple has one (1) - one iPhone. Yes there are different models of the iPhone but with each new model the older models become less relevant. Whereas Android has... a plethora of phones. Phones from different manufactures with different features and specs. Thus comparing the sales figures of Android phones (emphasis on the plural) to the sales figures of Apple's phone (singular) then in reality the numbers are skewed. A more balanced comparison would be to compare the iPhone to each individual Android device and see how it measures up. But by lumping ALL Android phones together it really inflates the results. In the end I don't think Apple is losing any sleep over this.
    That is why the comparison is based on OS. You cannot compare phone by phone sales. It is Apples choice to only make one phone and that decision had cost them money in the long run.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links