This newest rumor regarding the Samsung Nexus Prime, or whatever it will be called, is tinged with possible truth and fiction, and seems to complicate thing all over again. The articles on both Droid-Life and TheDroidGuy were fairly confusing to disseminate, but we will give it a shot here. According to a report from TheDroidGuy, the Nexus and the Prime will actually be two different phones. Supposedly, one of their journalists was able to sit down with a Verizon Tester, that has been working with both the HTC Vigor and the Samsung Prime. (An interesting side-note is that the Verizon Tester indicated that the Vigor was the better phone.) Also, a different staff member for theDroidGuy was able to play with the HTC Vigor and the Samsung Nexus, at the same conference, but with a different person, determining that they were two different devices.
Ultimately, what we were able to glean from the articles was the following, and much of it is speculative: (Please do not assume that what we consider any of this factual. For now, it simply is hearsay that is worth informing you about, because it could be accurate.)
- There is going to be a Samsung Prime that is not a stock Android phone (will have a TouchWiz UI overlay)
- The Samsung Prime is a different Samsung device from the Samsung Nexus, and will not be the first phone with Ice Cream Sandwich
- The Samsung Prime is possibly a follow-up to the Droid Charge
- The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the next Google phone
- The Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be coming to Verizon and will be the first phone to come with Ice Cream Sandwich
- Neither device will have a physical home button
- Samsung used the name Nexus Prime in a legal document in order to misdirect the press before the actual launch of the phones
- The Samsung Galaxy Nexus could have TouchWiz (which seems unlikely - also, the two articles disputed each other on this point)
None of this has been substantiated, nor confirmed in any way, but it definitely makes for some interesting discussion. Sound off in the forums what you think of this mess.
Source: PrimeForums via Droid-Life and TheDroidGuy