DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Qualcomm details next-gen 2.5GHz Snapdragon processors

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Twitter
    wicked_E46
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member

Qualcomm details next-gen 2.5GHz Snapdragon processors

Qualcomm confirms 2.5GHz Snapdragon processors at its Innovation event in Istanbul.

If you thought 2011 was a good year for processors, you ain’t seen nothing yet. In true adherence to Moore’s law, Qualcomm has once again upped its game and confirmed that it will be releasing 2.5GHz Snapdragon processors in 2012.

The news comes via Pocket-Lint, which reports that Qualcomm’s ‘processors, which power the majority of today’s smartphones from HTC to BlackBerry and beyond, will boast even higher speeds, better graphics, and greater connectivity in the near future.’

The new Snapdragons will also come in a variety of forms: single, dual and quad-core. All of which will be clocked to 2.5GHz, making them about twice as powerful as current market leaders.
    Adreno Graphics will still be on GPU duties and there’ll be support for 3D, 1080p HD, as well as 3G and 4G (LTE) connectivity.

But the best news of all is that Qualcomm has confirmed that these new 2.5Ghz Snapdragon processors will be in mobile devices by the start of 2012.

Qualcomm’s CEO Paul Jacobs was also keen to impress the audience and explained that it’s not all about numbers. A lot of the time it’s how well the processor is optimised, claimed Jacobs. Either way, the new Snapdragon CPUs sound amazing and we can’t wait to see the preview handsets at Mobile World Congress 2012 in February.

Looks like NVIDIA and Qualcomm have got a very competitive 2012 ahead of them.

Source: Pocket-Lint

2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Wow! Next year at this time I'm thinkin the selection of super phones will be pretty good!
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    It's crazy just how fast phones and tablets seem to be catching up to the PC market. How in the hell do they plan to keep these phones cool as they keep ramping them up? Scaling down to the 28nm form factor will certainly help for the mobile market just as it will for the PC community but it won't completely alleviate the thermal discomfort my hands and face will feel having a 2.5ghz quad core, dual NV GPU hotplate against my face and/or hands. Am I the only one curious about this? lol
    jroc likes this.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    ^Someone needs to come up with a micro liquid cpu cooling system! Or just call them phones/portable egg cookers!
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Twitter
    Trusstopher
    Phone
    G-Nex
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweettooth View Post
    It's crazy just how fast phones and tablets seem to be catching up to the PC market. How in the hell do they plan to keep these phones cool as they keep ramping them up? Scaling down to the 28nm form factor will certainly help for the mobile market just as it will for the PC community but it won't completely alleviate the thermal discomfort my hands and face will feel having a 2.5ghz quad core, dual NV GPU hotplate against my face and/or hands. Am I the only one curious about this? lol
    Two options.. heat exchangers to keep your coffee warm or similarly Liquid Cooling!!!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    This is the best news I've heard all day!
  7. DF News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    What about the battery on these phones?!?! I remember when phones were mobile phones were chunky and huge! Then they got smaller, now they're back to getting bigger.
  8. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    Why do they always do this right after I get a a new phone I know I know .. there's always gonna be something better the day after you buy something.
    jroc likes this.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I imagine the quad core will probably be a dual core with hyperthreading (Intel's philosophy) or a dual-module chip split into four semi-cores (AMD's new philosophy).

Either way, I'd be perfectly happy with either of those solutions clocking in at 1.2 or so GHz, for the same reason mentioned above...heat. I don't game or anything like that with my phone, so I'd love to just have the multi-tasking ability afforded by these "quad-core" chips they're talking about.

Next year sure is going to be interesting.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Well the good news is that in order to keep the screen from melting they'll have to make the device bigger to dissipate heat. This should enable them to fit much larger batteries in the devices.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links