DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Qualcomm details next-gen 2.5GHz Snapdragon processors

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Completely off topic, but does anyone actually believe the crap the companies say? Processors announcement just a couple months before they drop to manufacturers? Yet Intel and AMD take 2 years almost. Not to mention, it's taken over 18months to get dual core chips in handsets and they're not even being predominantly used yet. The X2 dropped in May and it had a chipset manufactured in Q1 2010. No way will we see this in a released (not announced) phone prior to Q1 2013.

This feels like the mobile phone version of the mhz myth.
    jroc likes this.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Why do they always do this right after I get a a new phone I know I know .. there's always gonna be something better the day after you buy something.
    No doubt.. it seems like just short of two years is FOREVER in the phone universe!
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    And the Prime is already obsolete.
    tgyberg and jroc like this.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Twitter
    Trusstopher
    Phone
    G-Nex
    Premium Member
    I'm betting that the next 2-3 generations of phones that haven't been announced yet are obsolete in the basement R&D departments of the larger technology companies.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    ^Maybe! I dont know tho, with the cpu heat and battery issues maybe not. What's funny is that the current android os barley even needs dual core. The second core does limited mop up at best these days! So unless ICS is a real system hog, a 1 ghz dual core phone should actually run it just fine.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x2
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1831 View Post
    Completely off topic, but does anyone actually believe the crap the companies say? Processors announcement just a couple months before they drop to manufacturers? Yet Intel and AMD take 2 years almost. Not to mention, it's taken over 18months to get dual core chips in handsets and they're not even being predominantly used yet. The X2 dropped in May and it had a chipset manufactured in Q1 2010. No way will we see this in a released (not announced) phone prior to Q1 2013.

This feels like the mobile phone version of the mhz myth.
    Well if you take a look at the pick their are 4classes they got set up. Class 4 is where its actually at 2.5ghz and dual/quad. I'd say this articual is a little misleading. Class 1-2 will mostly be the first to come out by 2012 and the latter half will be closer to 2013 or in 2013. Cause if you read class 4 it says nextgen handsets. So gonna be a while before we actually see the 2.5ghz.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by iolas View Post
    And the Prime is already obsolete.
    LMAO!! The Vigor too....so to those wanting to play the waiting game...set your own rules. If not, you will go insane.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Phone
    D1>D2>Inc2>Rez>Nexus>S3>IP5
    Quote Originally Posted by tgyberg View Post
    ^Maybe! I dont know tho, with the cpu heat and battery issues maybe not. What's funny is that the current android os barley even needs dual core. The second core does limited mop up at best these days! So unless ICS is a real system hog, a 1 ghz dual core phone should actually run it just fine.
    I agree. i think the droid bionic/htc vigor/droid prime will do me just fine! heck im really temped by the bionic, but im in no hurry! ill see what else comes out this year.

I dont think were are going to be seeing a quad core 2.5ghz in a phone. I for see that in a tablet. There is no reason to have it in a phone. i dont even see a 2.5 single core in a phone. i see all of the above going in tablets! well besides the gpu's. them will make in into phones.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by densetsu86 View Post
    Well if you take a look at the pick their are 4classes they got set up. Class 4 is where its actually at 2.5ghz and dual/quad. I'd say this articual is a little misleading. Class 1-2 will mostly be the first to come out by 2012 and the latter half will be closer to 2013 or in 2013. Cause if you read class 4 it says nextgen handsets. So gonna be a while before we actually see the 2.5ghz.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
    I didn't actually click the link because I'm lazy at times, but I was just going by the OP wrote. Upon further review, and reading the article at pocket-lint, the end of year figure quote is apparently from Paul Jacobs Qualcom CEO. If that's true and not a misquote, then I'm calling BS on this. Chipset don't miracle themselves into consumer ready handsets in 4 months. The timing is all sorts of wrong to think that a manufacturer could put a new chipset in a phone and have something ready for mass production in less than 6 months. I would hope and pray that a manufacturer wouldn't do such a thing to prevent another Xoom/LTE debacle.

Regardless I still think that the whole 2.5GHz in a phone, is just the mobile phone MHz Myth. People are already caught up in the crap with the difference between the Bionic and the SGII 1v1.2GHz processing speed without ANY empirical evidence to say how the phone would run on a CDMA network let alone LTE.
  10. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    By the time they are done beefing up these processors they are going to be bigger then my DX and I mean the processor alone.

Smart phones went from big to small and are now getting bigger. If need be I will just start wearing MC Hammer pants, you could fit a whole laptop in those bad boys
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links