DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Google/Motorola Patents Now Being Used Against Apple By HTC

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member

Google/Motorola Patents Now Being Used Against Apple By HTC

Google previously said they had plans to help their partners go through all these lawsuits, and now we have a good idea of what those plans are. A few days ago, Google apparently signed over some of their patents to HTC. These new patents, that were not HTC's to start with, are now the backbone to a new counter suit that HTC is filling against Apple. This move is Google doing what they can to help out a friend in need, and I'm sure we will see more things like this going on in the patent warfare.

Google: "quietly helpful"?

Via: Engadget
    Last edited by dgstorm; 09-08-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    idk5 likes this.
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Original Droid, SS3, D4
    thank god!!! i hate apple....
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    SGN LTE, OG DROID
    -directed at apple-

Instead of trying to stay ahead of your competition by suing the living hell out of em... You ought to beat your competition by innovating, instead of milking your headstart in the unique smarphone market at that time, which I am thankful for, since You were the catalyst for the ANDROID phones, which broke us away from the iPhone monotony you force upon your users.

I was getting sick, of having the same looking phone like the guy next to me, yes pretty to look at, but once you seen an iPhone, you've seen all the iPhones.
    Every time I hear someone at work got an Android phone, I get excited, because there is a good chance, me and that person don't have the same phones, be it size, specs, UI,...

Hope Google and HTC stick it to ya, and go back to the drawing board... and bring us something out, that might give me second thoughts of switching over to android phones, 2 years ago.
    idk5 and johnomaz like this.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DamirD1984 View Post
    -directed at apple-

Instead of trying to stay ahead of your competition by suing the living hell out of em... You ought to beat your competition by innovating, instead of milking your headstart in the unique smarphone market at that time, which I am thankful for, since You were the catalyst for the ANDROID phones, which broke us away from the iPhone monotony you force upon your users.
    Umm last time I checked I didn't see any Apple employees running around like crazed mad men with guns forcing people to buy the iPhone.........just sayin

I am glad HTC is doing this. They have every right to defend themselves just like Apple does. People are being extremely naive if they think HTC is somehow the better company and their just playing innocent victim and underdog here. Yes HTC is defending themselves but they are doing the EXACT same thing as Apple. I feel it is a lost cause even mentioning this because everyone just foams from the mouth with anger and hatred at the mere mention of Apple and lawsuits (being a bit sarcastic). In the end big tech business rely on some innovation and a ton of paperwork for the lawyers to sort through.

It is funny though, when Apple sues for patent infringement, it's just ludicrous to think an Android manufacturer would do such a dastardly deed but when Apple gets sued for the same thing, they are clearly guilty......
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    SGN LTE, OG DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTenderRebel View Post
    Umm last time I checked I didn't see any Apple employees running around like crazed mad men with guns forcing people to buy the iPhone.........just sayin

I am glad HTC is doing this. They have every right to defend themselves just like Apple does. People are being extremely naive if they think HTC is somehow the better company and their just playing innocent victim and underdog here. Yes HTC is defending themselves but they are doing the EXACT same thing as Apple. I feel it is a lost cause even mentioning this because everyone just foams from the mouth with anger and hatred at the mere mention of Apple and lawsuits (being a bit sarcastic). In the end big tech business rely on some innovation and a ton of paperwork for the lawyers to sort through.

It is funny though, when Apple sues for patent infringement, it's just ludicrous to think an Android manufacturer would do such a dastardly deed but when Apple gets sued for the same thing, they are clearly guilty......
    Force is strong word.... lack of variety?

Apple went all out, nearly suing just for the idea for a tablet device nearly, over just the similar shape, would be like sony suing toshiba over same size TVs.... never hated Apple, even recommend it to some people as an option.

Apple just needs to be put in check, and not sue for just nearly anything that they can think and make up... just like the made up the pictures, scaled Samsungs Tablet down, so that it can look like and IPad Did Apple tamper with evidence in the German Apple v. Samsung case? | Android Central
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Can't help but say I'm confused by the reaction to this. Before Google acquired these patents, they were complaining about being ganged up on by Apple, Microsoft and the rest of the world. Now they've given their patents to someone else to use...and everyone is cool with it..haha...

Like OTR said, everyone is up in arms when Apple does it, but everyone is defending Android OEMs when they do it. Like I (and OTR) have said from the beginning if these companies are granted/acquiring these patents they have every right to defend them...the disparity in who you think is right is a little baffling since all sides are doing the exact same thing.

The problem is with the game and not the players...
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Twitter
    Trusstopher
    Phone
    G-Nex
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    Can't help but say I'm confused by the reaction to this. Before Google acquired these patents, they were complaining about being ganged up on by Apple, Microsoft and the rest of the world. Now they've given their patents to someone else to use...and everyone is cool with it..haha...

Like OTR said, everyone is up in arms when Apple does it, but everyone is defending Android OEMs when they do it. Like I (and OTR) have said from the beginning if these companies are granted/acquiring these patents they have every right to defend them...the disparity in who you think is right is a little baffling since all sides are doing the exact same thing.

The problem is with the game and not the players...
    Isn't it obvious, "our" side is always right, "their" side is always wrong no what anyone does... haha

But in all seriousness, it is actually a very simple example of cognitive dissonance resolution: It is the way that people rationalize in their own mind they are backing the correct company and a strong justification that they aren't using the competitor. Everyone wants, even needs, to feel that they made the right decision at a subconscious level and this mechanism ensures that we feel that, even if we don't realize that it is happening in the first place.
    OneTenderRebel likes this.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Twitter
    Trusstopher
    Phone
    G-Nex
    Premium Member
    dang it "no edit button", you've bested me once more:

"no **matter** what anyone does"
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusstopher View Post
    Isn't it obvious, "our" side is always right, "their" side is always wrong no what anyone does... haha

But in all seriousness, it is actually a very simple example of cognitive dissonance resolution: It is the way that people rationalize in their own mind they are backing the correct company and a strong justification that they aren't using the competitor. Everyone wants, even needs, to feel that they made the right decision at a subconscious level and this mechanism ensures that we feel that, even if we don't realize that it is happening in the first place.
    haha yes i've used the cognitive dissonance argument in another thread here, and its very true in this case...
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I wonder why Toyota hasn't sued everyone for similar car shapes to the Prius. Ignore the fact the Prius and the Honda Insight's design is generally one of the more aerodynamic and less drag design for a hybrid.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links