DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lenovo to launch the IdeaPad A1, a 7-inch Android tablet for $199

  1. DF News Team/Mod
    Malvado's Avatar
    Member #
    1437
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,027
    Liked
    65 times
    Twitter
    @juliothestar
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Premium Member
    #1

    Lenovo to launch the IdeaPad A1, a 7-inch Android tablet for $199



    Long time laptop manufacturer, Lenovo has been easing its way into the tablet sector lately with its IdeadPad K1 and ThinkPad tablets. The 7” IdeaPad A1 will be the newest member of the family bringing with it an attractive $199 price tag. The A1 specs aren’t all that, but it’s an Android tablet on the cheap nonetheless. While the onboard OS is Gingerbread, Lenovo has augmented it with the same special launcher software as debuted on the K1. The A1 will sport a 1GHz processor, have two cameras, up to 32GB of storage, and a 7” 1024×600 resolution screen.

    Lenovo also plans to bundle the Lenovo App Shop in addition to Android Market. The App Shop will supply only apps designed for Lenovo Tablets, and if that’s got you skeptical, they’ve promised 200 apps at launch.

    SOURCE: Lenovo to launch the IdeaPad A1, a 7-inch Android tablet for $199 | ZDNet
  2. Droid Ninja
    gadgetrants's Avatar
    Member #
    96116
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,132
    Liked
    223 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    #2
    That'll definitely turn some Nook Color owners to the Lenovo side.

    -Matt
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  3. Senior Droid
    Tuktanuk's Avatar
    Member #
    16831
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus
    #3
    200 apps @ launch!? I'd take Quality apps over the Quantity any day. I am not sure about 7 inch displays..... I think it's a niche market..... too big to be a phone.... too small to be a tablet. I'm not saying it does not have a place; I'm just saying that that place is probably not very large (no pun intended). Also to note is a 1Ghz processor is; it's a single core Cortex A8. I doubt this tablet will be very quick. OH, there is only a 3Megapixel camera on board with it. Suddenly; this seems over priced to me.
  4. Droid Ninja
    gadgetrants's Avatar
    Member #
    96116
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,132
    Liked
    223 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuktanuk View Post
    200 apps @ launch!? I'd take Quality apps over the Quantity any day. I am not sure about 7 inch displays..... I think it's a niche market..... too big to be a phone.... too small to be a tablet. I'm not saying it does not have a place; I'm just saying that that place is probably not very large (no pun intended). Also to note is a 1Ghz processor is; it's a single core Cortex A8. I doubt this tablet will be very quick. OH, there is only a 3Megapixel camera on board with it. Suddenly; this seems over priced to me.
    Have you played with a rooted Nook Color? With the IPS screen it's a really nice device. Same processor as the Lenovo -- you're right, you can feel the difference between a single and dual-core tablet. The Lenovo also has a camera and a few other nice features. But if you check out the user base at androidtablets.net, you'll see there is a pretty decent community for the 7" form factor.

    Remember $199 is the early-adopter price. I don't know how far the Lenovo will fall ($149?) but once the Amazon 7" tablet gets announced, $199 will seem like a distant memory.

    My personal preference is 10", dual-core, Honeycomb, etc. I really prefer the larger screen for web browsing. But I wouldn't count the 7" out at this point. BTW, there are also long-standing rumors of an iPad mini -- I guarantee you (and do I hate to admit it, but) if Apple produces it, suddenly 7" will the IN size.

    -Matt
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  5. Senior Droid
    Tuktanuk's Avatar
    Member #
    16831
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus
    #5
    I've dabbled in the 7 inch tablets a bit.... I always walk away thinking it's just too small for what I would use it for. I have not had the chance to play around with a rooted nook. I'm sure it's better than a stock one but only slightly. Software changes only go so far. If the hardware is not high end; that's the brick wall.
  6. Droid Ninja
    gadgetrants's Avatar
    Member #
    96116
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,132
    Liked
    223 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuktanuk View Post
    I've dabbled in the 7 inch tablets a bit.... I always walk away thinking it's just too small for what I would use it for. I have not had the chance to play around with a rooted nook. I'm sure it's better than a stock one but only slightly. Software changes only go so far. If the hardware is not high end; that's the brick wall.
    For a while $250 for the Nook was a super deal for a pretty nice device -- but I don't want to oversell it! Anyway, my last sales pitch: I haven't played much with ours since I rooted and installed Eclair (Froyo, Gingerbread, and Honeycomb are also possible), and then my wife grabbed it!! But it depends on what you want to do with it -- in our case, things like eBooks, web browsing, news, email, movies, etc. all work super. Games are hit and miss -- some good, others not so much. I can't emphasize enough how nice the screen is. But as we start to see a new price-point for 7", things may change.

    Oh, a final point about the Nook: Barnes and Noble does their best to lock it as an ereader -- so owners who want a real Android tablet have to be willing to mod it. That was a big plus for me, but for others who want to "set it and forget it", a device like that would be a mistake.

    -Matt
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  7. Senior Droid
    Tuktanuk's Avatar
    Member #
    16831
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    213
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post
    Oh, a final point about the Nook: Barnes and Noble does their best to lock it as an ereader -- so owners who want a real Android tablet have to be willing to mod it. That was a big plus for me, but for others who want to "set it and forget it", a device like that would be a mistake.

    -Matt
    Let's be honest here..... in this day and age; you can't just buy electronics and not toy around with them. Everything I own is modded in one way or another. People who spend cash on things and use them "as is" are just plain and simply missing out.
  8. Droid Ninja
    gadgetrants's Avatar
    Member #
    96116
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,132
    Liked
    223 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuktanuk View Post
    Let's be honest here..... in this day and age; you can't just buy electronics and not toy around with them. Everything I own is modded in one way or another. People who spend cash on things and use them "as is" are just plain and simply missing out.
    Maybe you forgot this is droidforum! We're a unique breed.

    Think about it this way -- though you didn't explicitly mention Apple -- every time someone buys an iPod or a MacBook or an iPad, that's another "as is" consumer. Sad...but you and I are WAY outnumbered!

    -Matt
    Tuktanuk likes this.
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  9. Master Droid
    mach330's Avatar
    Member #
    1784
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    683
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #9
    i have the og galaxy tab. i like the size so I think I'm going to like this as well. I love being able to hold it with one hand and type with another as well have my wife put it in her purse whenever we go out. She loves that. lol

    Although it is a bit small for web browsing so maybe someone will have an 8" version. Sammy has an 8.9 coming out so that might be close to ideally I would want. As long as it fits in my wife's purse.
  10. DF News Team/Mod
    Malvado's Avatar
    Member #
    1437
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,027
    Liked
    65 times
    Twitter
    @juliothestar
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Premium Member
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
    i have the og galaxy tab. i like the size so I think I'm going to like this as well. I love being able to hold it with one hand and type with another as well have my wife put it in her purse whenever we go out. She loves that. lol

    Although it is a bit small for web browsing so maybe someone will have an 8" version. Sammy has an 8.9 coming out so that might be close to ideally I would want. As long as it fits in my wife's purse.
    They also have a 7.7 one coming out I believe

    Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 01:14 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Search tags for this page

ideapad 7 inch
,
ideapad a1 release date
,
ideapad a1 vs nook
,

ideapad a1 vs nook color

,
ideapad vs nook color
,

lenovo a1 forum

,
lenovo a1 launch date
,

lenovo a1 vs nook color

,

lenovo ideapad a1 vs nook color

,

nook color vs ideapad a1

,
nook color vs lenovo a1
,
thunderbolt 7 inch android tablet
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+