Update: We have some unconfirmed rumored dates:
- Sprint's version = September 16th
- AT&T's version = September 18th
- T-Mobiles version = Unknown still
The Samsung Galaxy SII Press Event just wrapped up and the veil is off for all three devices. We say three devices, because Samsung only showed us three: one for Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile. This pretty much confirms everything we knew about which carriers would be getting the device. The full gamut of features were demonstrated including the newly improved TouchWiz and Social Media App. Here is an exhaustive list of features for the SGS2:
- Iconic Ultra-Thin Design
- Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread
- 4.5-Inch SuperAMOLED Plus Screen
- Samsung Exynos 1.2GHz Processor
- 4G Capable
- 1080P Full HD Video Recording - With best in class recording rate
- Battery is 10% Bigger than the Galaxy S - Should Provide a full day of battery through good use
- 8MP Rear Camera and 2MP Front Camera
- Fully Redesigned ToucWiz Interface - When demoed, actually looked impressive - cleaner, faster and smoother
- Photo & Video Editor
Those were the superphone's primary features. No here is a breakdown of its Professional/Enterprise features that Samsung called @Work:
- Exchange ActiveSync - with expanded support - also hardware based encryption for improved performance and security
- Full VPN Support - first in industry full SSL VPN support for Android
- IT Management Support - Called Sybase Afaria
Lastly, they shared some of the entertainment/social and fun features, dubbed @Play:
- Samsung Media Hub - Improved with more features - Like Premium Content Upgrades - Store Rights in the Cloud (buy it on one device and use it on others)
- Media Show Hub - Full HDMI Output
- Voice Control Engine - More Powerful and Robust - Improved commands "Hey Galaxy, do xxxx..."
- Samsung Kies Air - Manage, Control and Edit from any PC or Mac Browser over WiFi
During the presentation they demonstrated the new TouchWiz User Interface, and it looks vastly improved from previous versions:
- Live Panel feature - that allows you to resize widgets.
- Social Club App - you can use Aggregate Views of multiple social networks - you can now comment directly from your phone into your social network - had a new conversation view that looked impressive
- The front page has radial buttons to go directly to your left and right screens - Alternatively, you could swipe quickly across the screen to jet across to the next one.
- Also, you can now create custom folders and group different apps inside them - they used a Games folder as an example.
That covers the demo of the devices. The event was very short, and although they indicated that representatives from each of the carriers were there, they concluded the video event without any information on prices or dates for each of the carriers. This is of course disappointing; however, as soon as we hear any reports or get any pictures we will relay them to you ASAP!
Update: You can check out their full press release here: Samsung Galaxy SII Launched for Sprint, AT&T & T-Mobile Press Release