DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] HP May Re-Continue The TouchPad - Current Orders Being Cancelled

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

[Rumor] HP May Re-Continue The TouchPad - Current Orders Being Cancelled

Some of our tipsters over at HPTouchpadForums.net may have just broken an intriguing "good news, bad news" story. According to a couple of sources, HP is cancelling the current HP TouchPad orders that haven't shipped yet. That's the bad news. The good news is that the reason they are cancelling it is because they are going to retract their initial discontinuation of the product line, and re-continue it (plus they are completely out of stock as well).

In some ways this isn't that great, because the opportunity to get a decent tablet for the low-low price of $99 dollars is slipping away; however, it is not too bad. Now, after seeing the relative success of the product with folks that either want a really cheap tablet, or folks that want to put Android on it, HP wants to revive it from the dead. Who knows... they may consider working out a licensing deal to get Android on it from Google. Of course, that is pure speculation at this point. Share your thoughts in the forums!

Don't forget to come to HPTouchPadForums.net for all your HP TouchPad news and information!

Source: HPTouchpadforums.net, (1) & (2)
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Twitter
    Trusstopher
    Phone
    G-Nex
    Premium Member
    Ha! If this is true then I laugh at those people who bought a $500 piece of hardware for $99 because it was not going to be supported any more and the battery was not replaceable and they were just a lost cause! And if they do go back into production at near the space price point, I'm especially going to laugh at those people who bought them in bulk at $99 a pop and will be able to turn a couple hundred dollars a pop on those "paper weights" when the values jumps back up. Jokes on all of... wait...
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    I heard about this and was tempted to grab one. My intention would have been to use it for development and jump into learning how android works to port it for the hardware, but come on for 99 bucks? Who wouldn't want to try lol
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    In a way, it kinda makes sense. If HP discontinues production this early, I'm sure they probably would have to take a huge financial hit for cancelling their parts and production contracts early. By continuing production to fulfill those contracts, they at least won't be out any money (or at least out less money if the $99 closeout pricing is less than their actual costs).

Although I don't see it (production) continuing past what they had originally contracted their suppliers and manufacturing for. It wouldn't make sense since HP made the strategic decision to get out of the consumer electronics business to focus solely on corporate hardware (servers, etc.). By continuing to produce and support the Touchpad, that would curtail, or delay, their plan.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    This is what i was emailed about my order for one from Digi circuits "We have spoken to our distributor and was just informed that HP is retracting it's initial announcement in regards to discounting the HP Touch-pad, which was the reason for the massive price drop. HP has informed our distributor that they will continue to manufacture the HP touch-pad in the future, but they don't have none in stock, and they don't expect to have anymore in production until Oct 2011. Because of this, all orders for the HP Touch-pad will be canceled."
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusstopher View Post
    Ha! If this is true then I laugh at those people who bought a $500 piece of hardware for $99 because it was not going to be supported any more and the battery was not replaceable and they were just a lost cause! And if they do go back into production at near the space price point, I'm especially going to laugh at those people who bought them in bulk at $99 a pop and will be able to turn a couple hundred dollars a pop on those "paper weights" when the values jumps back up. Jokes on all of... wait...
    Not sure I'm getting your point. People who got one at $99 or a bunch of them at $99 are better off if HP continues production. The bad news is for those of us who have been waiting for HP to ship, assuming any of this is more than a goofy rumor. If there's one thing we've learned in the last week from this debacle is that "heard it from a friend who" is almost certain to turn out to be complete crap.
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Twitter
    Trusstopher
    Phone
    G-Nex
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    Not sure I'm getting your point. People who got one at $99 or a bunch of them at $99 are better off if HP continues production. The bad news is for those of us who have been waiting for HP to ship, assuming any of this is more than a goofy rumor. If there's one thing we've learned in the last week from this debacle is that "heard it from a friend who" is almost certain to turn out to be complete crap.
    Hence the very end, "Jokes on all of...wait..." It was excessive sarcasm mostly because of the last Facebook post by Lee-anne James up there...
  8. DF News Team/Mod
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Twitter
    @juliothestar
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by i can read View Post
    This is what i was emailed about my order for one from Digi circuits "We have spoken to our distributor and was just informed that HP is retracting it's initial announcement in regards to discounting the HP Touch-pad, which was the reason for the massive price drop. HP has informed our distributor that they will continue to manufacture the HP touch-pad in the future, but they don't have none in stock, and they don't expect to have anymore in production until Oct 2011. Because of this, all orders for the HP Touch-pad will be canceled."
    Post a pic of the email otherwise I call BS

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Malvado View Post
    Post a pic of the email otherwise I call BS

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

Agreed! "Don't have none" isn't a sentence a professional would use...
    sent from my Droid Charge
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    HP would really be stupid to start production back up on these.

Best Buy was getting ready to return almost 200,000 units because nobody would buy them at the price point it was being sold at.

The only reason they sold out was because of the fire sale on them, to return to production then go back to the old price point that nobody was buying at is just purely idiotic.

Plus I hated those stupid commercials especially the Russell Brand one. Thank god it's finally off the air.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links