DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Nokia CEO On Google + Motorola Deal

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member

Nokia CEO On Google + Motorola Deal

The recent purchase of Motorola by Google has brought out a few choice words from Nokia's CEO-- Steven Elop. While at an almost unrelated seminar in Helinski, the CEO was quoted as saying the following:
    "If I happened to be someone who was an Android manufacturer or an operator, or anyone with a stake in that environment, I would be picking up my phone and calling certain executives at Google and say, ‘I see signs of danger ahead.’ The very first reaction I had was very clearly the importance of the third ecosystem and the importance of the partnership that we announced on February 11, it is more clear than ever."
    Nokia seems to have all their balls in one bag with Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 and we've read many quotes from the former Microsoft employee against Android powering their Nokia phones, but could he be right? Could Google owning Motorola be a bad sign for Android’s quad-team-of-winners (HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony Ericsson)? Respond below.

Via: Phandroid
    Last edited by WenWM; 08-18-2011 at 11:40 AM.
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Is the third ecosystem like the 5th dimension?
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Twitter
    Trusstopher
    Phone
    G-Nex
    Premium Member
    No, it's actually the 7th universe...
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid 4
    Where they don't have spacebars...
    DROID4: Rooted and OC Hacked
    DROID : SimplyStunning 5.6 1.2 Ghz ULV Kernel
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1 (CM7) & Eris (GSB)
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Unit View Post
    ^^^
    this
    so annoying
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus
    First line pretty much summed it up perfectly! "The CEO of the onceimportant phone manufacturer " I stopped reading it there. Bottom line here is; Nokia is taking a knife to a gun fight and it's just pathetic. IF they were in the ring with the rest, then OK say something. Here in this case; STFU Nokia noone cares what you have to say about anything.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Unit View Post
    I was going to say the same thing.. Or proper punctuation.

Anyway, I don't think the merge would is that big of a deal to other manufacturers. Motorola still has to bid on the Nexus phone, so I'm sure Google isn't going to be pushing straight from them. They would lose too much.
    I need a girl who's name doesn't end in ".JPG"

OG Moto Droid (Dead) > Galaxy S2 (Retired) > Galaxy Nexus (Retired) > Galaxy S4 (Current)
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    He's saying what all the other Android manufacturers are thinking. This is a deal that is very good for Moto and Google, and potentially very bad for everyone else. How could you, as CEO of Samsung or HTC, see the maker of the OS you run on your devices buy out and merge with your primary rival, who is also operating that same OS, and not be extremely worried about your future prospects? Google didn't just spend $12Billion on Moto to keep them at the same level with the same competitive balance as Samsung and HTC going forward on the Android platform.

Yeah, if I were HTC, Samsung, LG, etc, I'd already be engaging in internal studies and discussions about options they have outside of Android to continue the high profits they have seen.
    cush2push likes this.
    Carolina Hurricanes - 2006 Stanley Cup Champions

10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
    Yeah, if I were HTC, Samsung, LG, etc, I'd already be engaging in internal studies and discussions about options they have outside of Android to continue the high profits they have seen.
    I heard they called the 2 minute meeting about their options (Windows Phone) and when the laughter subsided, they just stuck to their current roadmap.

Look, Samsung and HTC are the two biggest reasons for Android's popularity worldwide. Google isn't going to jeopardize that. Besides, this acquisition probably did more to address key concerns over the rising litigation tide against Android and put the partners more at ease.
    GBH2 likes this.
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
    He's saying what all the other Android manufacturers are thinking. This is a deal that is very good for Moto and Google, and potentially very bad for everyone else. How could you, as CEO of Samsung or HTC, see the maker of the OS you run on your devices buy out and merge with your primary rival, who is also operating that same OS, and not be extremely worried about your future prospects? Google didn't just spend $12Billion on Moto to keep them at the same level with the same competitive balance as Samsung and HTC going forward on the Android platform.

Whats kills me is Nokia is in the same boat, even more than Motorola cuz MS already said Nokia can do things to WP7....basically giving Nokia preferential treatment. So what is it...he doesnt want Samsung, HTC, LG, etc being in the same boat they're in with WP7 right now?

I dont get it.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links