DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Verizon Plans to Stop Unsanctioned Tethering that Uses Unofficial Apps

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Twitter
    TrastX
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqube View Post
    The people using it as an ISP have ruined it for the people who just want to do it every now and again. Ah, well. It was nice while it lasted.
    I don't think that's it at all.

The fact is, Vzw knows they can get more money, and so they are going to do whatever it takes.
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I have to question that because I know that vzw will be also going after their workers for this. Look if they want to crack down on abusers I am all for it. But a few times talking to vzw tech reps there are a lot of holes in the system and until vzw fixes that they will continue to see issues. Its hard to enforce a policy when they are so far behind with the android software. Their "tethering" plan is an issue because they admit its for users wanting to make it a mobile hotspot. And thunderbolt users (who are not rooted) you have to wait a day to see how much data you use tethering because they still do not have an official myvzw app.
    I really would like to look deeper into this to see if they are concerned about those on unlimited data or those on tiered plan. Because if this is also cracking down on people using tiered plans (I say that because we know att customers use tiered) then that is a case of vzw being greedy. Because now you are now paying for what you use and to still crack down on those tethering on tiered plans would be just outrageous in my opinion.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    RyanPm40
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Can't Verizon really only tell if you're tethering by looking into a massive spike in your data usage? I only tether 2-3 times a year when I go to a doctor's appointment 3 hours away so I can use my laptop for internet.

I doubt Verizon will find me, so I don't really care. This isn't much new; they've been busting people like this for awhile now.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Gal S2)
    I've never even tried tethering, but this phone barely works as a phone, never mind as an ISP!

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I was going on vacation & new that I would have to pay like $5.00 a day to get wireless internet where we were staying to be able to work a few hours a day so I had Verizon turn on my OG droid as a hotspot to tether my laptop to.
    The fee is pro rated for only the days you have it on according to the rep that activated it for me.
    Every time the phone rang while I was tethered it screwed up the connection so that I had to restart the browser & connection several times to get it to hook back up to my laptop. This took as much as 10 min. to get the connection back sometimes. It only works with Vista & up, I am on W7 & was incredibly slow at times even with a strong signal.

I never had any issues with the connection using wireless tether. It would just pick right back up where it left off after I got off the phone & the connection was way faster.

I have an unlimited data plan but the tethering was limited to 2GB for the $20.00 & some how they seem to know when I was tethering versus just using data on my phone. There are two separate data usage charts for un billed data on my line for data versus tethering.
    I am also on a shard family plan as the primary number & they know which phone is using what data.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Gnex
    how would vzw know you are tethering? I stream movies and music to my phone. and burn thru 4-5gig a cycle.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I would think they would probably have to go after the app's themselves. Get the dev's to change the permissions. They would pull any market apps off the market, go after 3rd party app makers. But I don't know, they could also have some backdoor way to detect it as well.
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
    how would vzw know you are tethering? I stream movies and music to my phone. and burn thru 4-5gig a cycle.
    I vaguly remember reading something on one of these forums that they can tell becasue the tehtering apps access to network in a different way then when your accessing just from your phone. I have no idea if thats actualy true or not though.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Twitter
    TrastX
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTenderRebel View Post
    I would think they would probably have to go after the app's themselves. Get the dev's to change the permissions. They would pull any market apps off the market, go after 3rd party app makers. But I don't know, they could also have some backdoor way to detect it as well.
    They already pulled the apps from the market, but, we are the Droid community, and where there's a will there's a way.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by steveninspokane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTenderRebel View Post
    They already pulled the apps from the market, but, we are the Droid community, and where there's a will there's a way.
    oh that is undoubtedly true but it wouldn't take much for them to hire a couple full time employees who's full time job was to actively seek out third party apps and or the dev's who are creating those apps.
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Links