DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Verizon Communications Workers Strike: 45,000 Union Members Demand Improvements

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - -> HTC TBOLT
    Americans wonder why the large scale corporations are moving out of the country to continue their business. Do you think India workers go on strike? File frivolous law suits? Have workers compensation fraud? NOPE!
    My sig was too large.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by y0manda View Post
    Americans wonder why the large scale corporations are moving out of the country to continue their business. Do you think India workers go on strike? File frivolous law suits? Have workers compensation fraud? NOPE!
    Thank you... I am suprised that this group of people are this smart (most tech blogs/forums are filled with pro union lefty crap).

Love you all!!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Navalynt View Post
    My opinion of the current state of Unions and this strike by Verizon workers:

At one point in time worker safety, security, and prosperity was ignored by corporations. Unions came along and gave the workers a collective voice which was heard by the corporations and the public at large. This forced reform, especially in manual labor industries.

Unfortunately, Unions are not "non-profit" organizations, they are for profit. So what started out with good intentions has been slowly corrupted and twisted by greed.

Collective bargaining should not be a stick used to beat companies until the corporate coffers are empty. What I have seen from Unions, both first hand and through the media, is that people who are already grossly overpaid are leveraging collective bargaining to try and get even more money and benefits, thus dirtying all that Unions are supposed to stand for.

I would challenge the Union workers of Verizon and the CWA Union to post actual details of what is being "stripped away" instead of blanket statements and Verizon's financials. Just because the company you work for is making money that doesn't mean you are automatically entitled to make more money. This is the type of thinking that causes outsourcing to other countries and the unemployment numbers to rise. Yes, I believe that Unions have had a direct negative impact on unemployment.

The playing field will never be level or fair. The working class will never make as much as CEOs. But you know what? The only barriers stopping them from getting the education and experience they need to become CEOs themselves are the barriers they have created for themselves.
    Sir, you couldn't have said it any better and I agree with you. A lot of these people who see a profit automatically assume that the profit has no other purpose than to fill their pockets. They don't understand that a lot of the time, that money is re-invested or saved as a fallback fund etc. Furthermore, the people who say "he/she/they couldn't do my job" fail to realize that if they screw up, it's usually no real big deal and can easily be fixed and MANY people can do their job but if a CEO screws up, it has lasting effects if not completely shutting the business down. It all depends on risk and reward and quite frankly, they're not putting much at stake, hence your reward isn't great but it's fair.

The next thing I would like to say is that I'm a Firefighter and I live in a state that is a "right to work state" meaning, although we have a union and I am a member, it doesn't mean CRAP. These employees complain that they pay $100 for insurance, I pay $500/month for my family and I. My salary is $32,400 and that's after a pay raise in the 5th largest city in the state that I live in. It's only the 3rd pay raise in 10 years for the whole department. They keep doing pay studies for them to come back and say we are underpaid EVERY SINGLE TIME! Did I mention that the city recently made some changes to our retirement? We can retire after 25 years of service and at age 55. We have to go at 60. But here's the kicker; I fall into the group who doesn't retire with benefits(medical, dental etc.) and 48% of a crappy pay check. This is one situation where a person can love what they do but there aren't really any other choices to do this same job. It is so hard to get a position( I was one of 4 hired out of 300 who went through the process) on any FD. I'm trying to get on at another larger department(better benefits, better pay, better promotional opportunities etc.) where I'm competing against 4200 other people and I scored in the outstanding category. No call yet, and believe me, I call weekly.

The point I'm making is that those Verizon people do a valuable job but they will get no pity from me. Public Safety (PD, FD) and the Armed Forces are people that in my opinion should be taken care of. I'm not saying any of us are ever going to get rich but retirement should be something we look forward to without having to worry about benefits etc. I spend every 3rd day bustin' my butt to save yours and I feel we should be compensated for that.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Evo 4g

Exclamation No Verizon signal tonight

The strike may just have spilled over. I have two phones on the Verizon network and both lost signal this evening. From 5 bars to no service.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - -> HTC TBOLT
    Quote Originally Posted by azules9780 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Navalynt View Post
    My opinion of the current state of Unions and this strike by Verizon workers:

At one point in time worker safety, security, and prosperity was ignored by corporations. Unions came along and gave the workers a collective voice which was heard by the corporations and the public at large. This forced reform, especially in manual labor industries.

Unfortunately, Unions are not "non-profit" organizations, they are for profit. So what started out with good intentions has been slowly corrupted and twisted by greed.

Collective bargaining should not be a stick used to beat companies until the corporate coffers are empty. What I have seen from Unions, both first hand and through the media, is that people who are already grossly overpaid are leveraging collective bargaining to try and get even more money and benefits, thus dirtying all that Unions are supposed to stand for.

I would challenge the Union workers of Verizon and the CWA Union to post actual details of what is being "stripped away" instead of blanket statements and Verizon's financials. Just because the company you work for is making money that doesn't mean you are automatically entitled to make more money. This is the type of thinking that causes outsourcing to other countries and the unemployment numbers to rise. Yes, I believe that Unions have had a direct negative impact on unemployment.

The playing field will never be level or fair. The working class will never make as much as CEOs. But you know what? The only barriers stopping them from getting the education and experience they need to become CEOs themselves are the barriers they have created for themselves.
    Sir, you couldn't have said it any better and I agree with you. A lot of these people who see a profit automatically assume that the profit has no other purpose than to fill their pockets. They don't understand that a lot of the time, that money is re-invested or saved as a fallback fund etc. Furthermore, the people who say "he/she/they couldn't do my job" fail to realize that if they screw up, it's usually no real big deal and can easily be fixed and MANY people can do their job but if a CEO screws up, it has lasting effects if not completely shutting the business down. It all depends on risk and reward and quite frankly, they're not putting much at stake, hence your reward isn't great but it's fair.

The next thing I would like to say is that I'm a Firefighter and I live in a state that is a "right to work state" meaning, although we have a union and I am a member, it doesn't mean CRAP. These employees complain that they pay $100 for insurance, I pay $500/month for my family and I. My salary is $32,400 and that's after a pay raise in the 5th largest city in the state that I live in. It's only the 3rd pay raise in 10 years for the whole department. They keep doing pay studies for them to come back and say we are underpaid EVERY SINGLE TIME! Did I mention that the city recently made some changes to our retirement? We can retire after 25 years of service and at age 55. We have to go at 60. But here's the kicker; I fall into the group who doesn't retire with benefits(medical, dental etc.) and 48% of a crappy pay check. This is one situation where a person can love what they do but there aren't really any other choices to do this same job. It is so hard to get a position( I was one of 4 hired out of 300 who went through the process) on any FD. I'm trying to get on at another larger department(better benefits, better pay, better promotional opportunities etc.) where I'm competing against 4200 other people and I scored in the outstanding category. No call yet, and believe me, I call weekly.

The point I'm making is that those Verizon people do a valuable job but they will get no pity from me. Public Safety (PD, FD) and the Armed Forces are people that in my opinion should be taken care of. I'm not saying any of us are ever going to get rich but retirement should be something we look forward to without having to worry about benefits etc. I spend every 3rd day bustin' my butt to save yours and I feel we should be compensated for that.
    If your company needs a replacement when you move up, let me know. I am a General Contractor making 6 figures, and I will leave that any day to be a firefighter earning a fraction of that. I have a degree in Fire Science, I'm an EMT, in 30 weeks I will have my BS in Occupational Safety and Health. I am also scheduled to begin part time medic school this November. You wouldn't happen to live in So Cal? I can't sale my home. Kids love their school
    My sig was too large.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links