DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HTC: Locked Bootloader Forever!!!

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member

HTC: Locked Bootloader Forever!!!

The old HTC once loved their strong development community; the new one seems to care a lot less. The latest news coming from HTC regarding their bootloader policy is not too surprising. Like with any company that gets popular with the carriers, they are making decisions that will keep their new best friends happy.

HTC recently went back on their policy again about “unlocking all future phones’ bootloader.”They announced that their entire line of future phones WILL still be shipped with the locked bootloaders we have grown to hate. Unlike a few months back, they will have their new web-unlock tool available for those that still want to hack their phones. This new method will, of course, eliminate your warranty, and sadly, not all phones currently available will be able to use it.

What do you guys think?

Via: GSMArena
    Last edited by dgstorm; 08-05-2011 at 09:03 AM.
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me

3. The GRD Dev Team
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    THEGRDDEVTEAM
    Phone
    HTC Evo 3D Virgin Mobile
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    They have to do what they have to do to make profits .....as long as they have the web tool for us to use then its no Big deal
    WoZzY
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by WoZzY View Post
    They have to do what they have to do to make profits .....as long as they have the web tool for us to use then its no Big deal
    that some it up for me moto better follow the crowd
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member
    Think about it this way... If they switch it up this quick because it makes the carriers unhappy.. then what's going to happen in the future. Let's say Vodafone doesn't like this tool, then they'll introduce exceptions and it'll all go down hill then.
    Just saying, not a good sign.
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Isn't this the way it should be? People who really want to root their phone will be able to and they will know that it will void their warranty. People who could care less about rooting...well, they wont care.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    first let me say i am all for this community. i will always root my phone and mod it...but i dont understand why people are crazy mad about this HTC situation...bottom line is that HTC is a company. A company who needs to generate profit. And if they are willing to have a web unlock tool that unlocks the bootloader...run with it. We can all understand why rooting voids your warranty right? HTC is giving us what we want while at the same time getting what they want. It's win-win.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tcayton49 View Post
    Isn't this the way it should be? People who really want to root their phone will be able to and they will know that it will void their warranty. People who could care less about rooting...well, they wont care.
    exactly! Didnt see ur post prior to writing mine btw lol
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1687 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I knew people would not like this decision. But this is probably the best we going to get. This is probably the only thing they could get the carriers to buy into. It is just not about us. If they put out an unlocked phone that vzw did not approve then vzw will prevent it from working on their network. If you want a fully unlocked device out of the box then get a nexus. I applaud htc for doing something. And if moto unlocks their device expect them to do this as well.
  10. The GRD Dev Team
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    THEGRDDEVTEAM
    Phone
    HTC Evo 3D Virgin Mobile
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WenWM View Post
    Think about it this way... If they switch it up this quick because it makes the carriers unhappy.. then what's going to happen in the future. Let's say Vodafone doesn't like this tool, then they'll introduce exceptions and it'll all go down hill then.
    Just saying, not a good sign.

well we will have to cross that road when we come to it but i would rather have a company trying to let us have a unlocked bootloader instead of having a company like motto just locking down the bootloader so tight with out the option of it being opened
    WoZzY
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I never thought they would ship phones with unlocked bootloaders to begin with. I was always under the assumption that the bootloaders would simply be UNLOCKABLE. Who honestly is delusional enough to think that insurance companies and carriers would have went for phones shipping with unlocked bootloaders?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links