DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HTC: Locked Bootloader Forever!!!

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Bottom line for me is: Long as the bootloader isn't encrypted, I'm just gonna wait for the Dev community to unlock it.

But that's only because I don't want any possible crap from Verizon if I have a hardware defect.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohyea! View Post
    Bottom line for me is: Long as the bootloader isn't encrypted, I'm just gonna wait for the Dev community to unlock it.

But that's only because I don't want any possible crap from Verizon if I have a hardware defect.
    Newsflash! Their newest phones have encrypted Bootloaders. That's why there was a big outcry and that's why they came up with this web solution.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Phone
    GSM Note 3, Note 2, Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycemiskel View Post

Newsflash! Their newest phones have encrypted Bootloaders. That's why there was a big outcry and that's why they came up with this web solution.

Where are you hearing that HTC is encrypting their bootloaders? As one of the earlier posters observed: HTC locks their bootloaders, Motorola encrypts theirs. Although, Motorola has been strangely silent about the release of a program which totally unlocks the Atrix bootloader - and that has been available for over a month now.

I fully expected Motorola to go crazy when the program was offered by a developer over on the XDA Forums, screaming and yelling, threatening the developer and XDA with cease and desist orders. As far as I know, they've done and said nothing. Then I got to thinking maybe it was a PLANNED leak by Motorola - but one they could retain "plausible deniability" on. That idea lasted until they released the Gingerbread update for the Atrix. It of course un-rooted the already rooted phones, but it also screwed with the ability of people to RE-root their phones, as well as attempting to re-lock the bootloader (that part was not successful, BTW).

So now, I'm not sure *what* Motorola's game plan is. Like HTC, they have pledged to unlock the bootloaders of everyone who bought a Motorola phone and wants their bootloader unlocked. That's undoubtedly a minority of the total Motorola cell phone ownership, as the majority have probably never even heard of rooting or unlocked bootloaders, but it's nice to know the unlocking is coming - but WILL it?

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    So, here's a thought....Let's say I decide to save a few bucks ditching my warranty, since it will void my warranty when I root anyway. That's a plan change, so I'd lose my unlimited data, right? Then the issue is, if rooting voids my warranty, then VZW shouldn't continue charging me, correct?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Kodiak,

Interesting implications. But I think that there would have to be some lines drawn between "I flashed this rom, and now my 3g/4g reception is in the toilet" v. I dropped my phone in the toilet. I think there would be some distinction always drawn for insurance and the need to replace lost, stolen or destroyed.

Craig
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    HTC One - Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    So, here's a thought....Let's say I decide to save a few bucks ditching my warranty, since it will void my warranty when I root anyway. That's a plan change, so I'd lose my unlimited data, right? Then the issue is, if rooting voids my warranty, then VZW shouldn't continue charging me, correct?
    That would not change your data plan. Even changing the number of minutes you contract for would not change your data plan, as long as you have continuity of Verizon service and don't change your data plan yourself.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldFart View Post
    That would not change your data plan. Even changing the number of minutes you contract for would not change your data plan, as long as you have continuity of Verizon service and don't change your data plan yourself.
    That's what I don't fully understand. I was under the impression that any change to your plan - incl. minutes or texts - was a change that would trigger tiered data pricing. Warranty may not fall under that, but it's all very confusing.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycemiskel View Post

Where are you hearing that HTC is encrypting their bootloaders? As one of the earlier posters observed: HTC locks their bootloaders, Motorola encrypts theirs. Although, Motorola has been strangely silent about the release of a program which totally unlocks the Atrix bootloader - and that has been available for over a month now.

I fully expected Motorola to go crazy when the program was offered by a developer over on the XDA Forums, screaming and yelling, threatening the developer and XDA with cease and desist orders. As far as I know, they've done and said nothing. Then I got to thinking maybe it was a PLANNED leak by Motorola - but one they could retain "plausible deniability" on. That idea lasted until they released the Gingerbread update for the Atrix. It of course un-rooted the already rooted phones, but it also screwed with the ability of people to RE-root their phones, as well as attempting to re-lock the bootloader (that part was not successful, BTW).

So now, I'm not sure *what* Motorola's game plan is. Like HTC, they have pledged to unlock the bootloaders of everyone who bought a Motorola phone and wants their bootloader unlocked. That's undoubtedly a minority of the total Motorola cell phone ownership, as the majority have probably never even heard of rooting or unlocked bootloaders, but it's nice to know the unlocking is coming - but WILL it?

-Mike
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05...l-locked-down/

Their new flagships have been getting the same treatment that Motos phones were getting. I thought that was common knowledge.

9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Would the voided warranty imply absolutely no replacements for any issue, or just no luck with problems that could result from you playing around with the phone software?

For example, my og droid screen randomly broke and Verizon replaced it with a refurbished model at no charge, would this not be possible if I unlocked the bootloader with HTC's new tool?
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by volando View Post
    Would the voided warranty imply absolutely no replacements for any issue, or just no luck with problems that could result from you playing around with the phone software?

For example, my og droid screen randomly broke and Verizon replaced it with a refurbished model at no charge, would this not be possible if I unlocked the bootloader with HTC's new tool?
    Although they haven't said for sure, my guess would be that voided warranty means just that. Your warranty is void so anything that goes wrong you are responsible for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links