DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HTC: Locked Bootloader Forever!!!

1. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Ambushbug73
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by WoZzY View Post
    They have to do what they have to do to make profits .....as long as they have the web tool for us to use then its no Big deal
    I agree. I mean they are giving us a method to do it with the web tools, but they have to put some kind of liability on the consumer/user. Yes a lot of people will root their phones successfully with no issues and will know what they are doing, but the plain truth is a lot of people are going to screw up their phones. Their has to be some sort of warranty voiding element to it for this reason.
  2. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    I think what everyone is forgetting is there is a huge difference between locked and encrypted. HTC locks and Motorola encrypts. Haven't most of HTC's phone been locked?
    Twisted Inception
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I think this is the only viable move by HTC. There is always a risk with an unlocked phone of screwing it up. By putting that decision on the shoulders of the phone owner, HTC is transferring that liability.
    Why yes; that is a Thunderbolt in my pocket.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    only thing that would make sense, really...were people really thinking verizon would allow fully unlocked phones on their network with no way to track who's doing what to them?
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII
    Umm, talk about an incorrect, misleading title. Having a tool that lets you unlock the device does not mean they are "locked forever".
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Matthenson20
    Phone
    HTC REZOUND
    Quote Originally Posted by Detonation View Post
    Umm, talk about an incorrect, misleading title. Having a tool that lets you unlock the device does not mean they are "locked forever".
    Drama ploy, lol
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    MOTOR DRUID
    i think this is a step in the right direction. probably as far as the developer community is going to get. i agree with having some kind of warranty voiding process when rooting a phone. it's a person's own decision to root and they must take responsibility for anything they do that may result in the phone's failure. carriers or oems can't be dishing out 500$ phones for free.

the thing i worry about though is what will happen if a person roots a phone, rom's, etc. and then has a problem with the hardware that has nothing to do with whatever they did to the software. like if i return to the store with my phone completely back to stock and running perfectly normal but my volume rocker is broken and verizon writes me off by saying "you agreed to void your warranty..." i'm going to be angry.
    Last edited by pc747; 08-06-2011 at 12:37 AM.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by jengas kahn View Post
    i think this is a step in the right direction. probably as far as the developer community is going to get. i agree with having some kind of warranty voiding process when rooting a phone. it's a person's own decision to root and they must take responsibility for anything they do that may result in the phone's failure. carriers or oems can't be dishing out 500$ phones for free.

the thing i worry about though is what will happen if a person roots a phone, rom's, etc. and then has a problem with the hardware that has nothing to do with whatever they did to the software. like if i return to the store with my phone completely back to stock and running perfectly normal but my volume rocker is broken and verizon writes me off by saying "you agreed to void your warranty..." i'm going to be angry.
    My guess is the phone will more of less have a 1 year warranty against manufacturer's defects on hardware of some sort. This is why people need to read things before plunging in headfirst. Of course regardless of the situation there will be those that claim they didn't know or were confused.
    Last edited by pc747; 08-06-2011 at 12:37 AM.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Quote Originally Posted by WenWM View Post
    They have to do what they have to do to make profits .....as long as they have the web tool for us to use then its no Big deal
    Think about it this way... If they switch it up this quick because it makes the carriers unhappy.. then what's going to happen in the future. Let's say Vodafone doesn't like this tool, then they'll introduce exceptions and it'll all go down hill then.
    Just saying, not a good sign.
    Their phones were already going to come with locked bootloaders and unlockable via the web tool. This isn't anything new.

And frankly, why wouldn't carriers like this? They will know how is unlocking their phones, the warranties will be void so they wont' have to replace a phone that they know is being hacked with.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    havens1515
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by WenWM View Post
    Think about it this way... If they switch it up this quick because it makes the carriers unhappy.. then what's going to happen in the future. Let's say Vodafone doesn't like this tool, then they'll introduce exceptions and it'll all go down hill then.
    Just saying, not a good sign.
    I agree with both of these statements. On the one hand, it's AWESOME that they are giving the choice to the consumer. It is not necessary to have ALL phones unlocked, but it is nice to have the option. As we've seen in the past, they don't need to even give us that option, and are likely only doing so to shut up people like us.

On the other hand, since it IS a web tool, they COULD potentially remove it at any time without any notice. Also, being that it's a web tool, they could (and likely will) mark your account or somehow note that you no longer have a warranty, or that at least part of your warranty is voided. And who knows what else they will do once they know you're unlocked... carriers could charge you more based on that fact, or they could use it as a reason to later cancel your service, who knows.

It would be nice if the phones came with software (either on a disk, or on the phone, or whatever) that allowed you to unlock the bootloader. At the same time though, some noob would probably do it without realizing what they are really doing.

Bottom line: They are at least giving the user a choice to unlock it, and that's definitely a step in the right direction. But at the same time, users may want to make sure they read the fine print.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links