DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HTC's Bootloader Plans Explained

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVC View Post
    When I root my phones I fully understand that if I break it I will buy a new one. I don't care, I will just buy a new one. I would not use my insurance to replace a phone I have bricked either. I would rather be honest.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
    What a concept...
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    What a concept...
    And to be honest, if my screen cracks - nothing to do with rooting - my phone mysteriously comes up missing.

But I wonder how many warranty claims are really because the phone was bricked (which is pretty hard to do, although a lot of people don't know what they're doing) or overclocking fried something. And you have to read the fine print because it's not like they tell you rooting voids the warranty when they're pushing that add-on. Unless I brick my phone or fry the processor, I feel entitled to collect the warranty. ESPECIALLY if they continued accepting my payment - I'd throw a hissy if I tried to make a claim and they said "sorry, you're rooted". If they know you are rooted, then they should cancel your insurance. Such a scenario would make for an interesting lawsuit.
  3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    1035 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    If they know you are rooted, then they should cancel your insurance.
    Shhh!! There are spies around you know. Don't give them any ideas.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Shhh!! There are spies around you know. Don't give them any ideas.
    LOL..You can bet they've already thought of this. They will continue to collect the insurance from the 98% who never make a claim, and then deny the other 2% because they are rooted - probably 2 in 10 of those will even be smart enough to pitch a fit and make a case, in which case probably the worst HTC faces is refunding the premiums paid.

Actually, probably fine print somewhere that puts the entire burden on the buyer. But not sure of the legality of that, if they know you are rooted you could make a case collecting the premiums is accepting consideration and, ergo, waiving of the "no root" clause.
    Last edited by kodiak799; 09-25-2011 at 04:49 PM.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Samsung Nexus
    This is a slippery slope indeed! He we go with the whole " give em an inch; they take a mile" thing. Listen, I agree that if you flubbed up your phone and bricked it, you SHOULD pay to replace it BUT, for HTC to void all Warranties as soon as you agree to unlock to boot loader is just plain crap. I'd forgo a software warranty but if the hardware on the phone (buttons or Screen) break; they had better cover it. This is a gateway for them to see just how much the community is willing to forfeit. I'd get behind it IF they were more specific like you void the Warranty on the RAM/CPU but not for the entire device..... just my .02 on the matter.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuktanuk View Post
    This is a gateway for them to see just how much the community is willing to forfeit. I'd get behind it IF they were more specific like you void the Warranty on the RAM/CPU but not for the entire device..... just my .02 on the matter.
    Yeah, it would be kind of like a PC-maker voiding your warranty because you choose to run Linux instead of the pre-installed Windows. And rooting alone shouldn't really void your warranty, although I realize you could then delete a critical system app, if you aren't messing with the kernel there's really no reason it should void your warranty.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    Larry_ThaGr81
    Phone
    rooted Droid 1 & Thunderbolt
    This is a fair trade off, HTC gives us the flex to root without the community having to figure it out in exchange for the root community to use their method of rooting, so they can keep track of which phones to warranty. I do feel that an alternative root method will be successful at some point in managing to take advantage of HTC easy root tool.

Sent by my Bolt powered by Thunder
    Simply Stunning rooted OGD
    Sent from the Bolt powered by Thunder on
    SkyRaider Zeus
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    And to be honest, if my screen cracks - nothing to do with rooting - my phone mysteriously comes up missing.

But I wonder how many warranty claims are really because the phone was bricked (which is pretty hard to do, although a lot of people don't know what they're doing) or overclocking fried something. And you have to read the fine print because it's not like they tell you rooting voids the warranty when they're pushing that add-on. Unless I brick my phone or fry the processor, I feel entitled to collect the warranty. ESPECIALLY if they continued accepting my payment - I'd throw a hissy if I tried to make a claim and they said "sorry, you're rooted". If they know you are rooted, then they should cancel your insurance. Such a scenario would make for an interesting lawsuit.
    since when are missing/lost phones covered?
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Liked
    117 times
    Phone
    DROID X --> Nexus Prime
    I'm not so worried about the you break it you buy it policy. I'm just worried about them knowing. So if you do sbf back and it's out of the box fresh, they'll still know, even if it looks completely untouched.
    Or, what if their script just magically bricked peoples phones? I highly doubt they'd do it, but its a thought! :-P
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links