DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: NVIDIA's Kal-El Quad-Core Mobile Chip in Tablets in October; In Phones Q1 2012

  1. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,331
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #1

    NVIDIA's Kal-El Quad-Core Mobile Chip in Tablets in October; In Phones Q1 2012



    Although, recently TI's Dual-Core chip had a status upgrade to replace NVIDIA's Tegra as Google's "mobile chipset of choice" for new Android smartphones, it's way too early to count NVIDIA down and out. In fact, the mobile chipset and gaming graphics leader is getting ready to debut its first quad-core chip to the mobile world as early as October. Here's a quote from NVIDIA,
    Project Kal-El-powered tablets are coming this Fall, and phones around the CES 2012 time frame.
    Furthermore, according to industry "rumint", the first tablet to come forth utilizing the quad-core beast, will be none other than the Asus Eee Pad Transformer 2. Previous rumors about this tablet suggest it will be released in October, thus completing the rumor-mill time-frame circle and making the info much more likely. If you haven't already seen it, you can check out the impressive video demo above of NVIDIA's "Superman" technology.

    This demo looks pretty amazing for gamers! If tablets, and eventually phones, reach the potential that the demo foreshadows, NVIDIA will very likely solidify themselves as the premier graphics chipset maker for mobile devices.

    Source: Android.net via TalkAndroid and AndroidandMe
  2. Senior Droid
    Rhino413's Avatar
    Member #
    78625
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    205
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    #2
    Funny thing is I just left a post on the thread about Google choosing TI
    and that things change fast and how Nvidia could release its new chip set and
    wham be back on top again. and then this post comes out that proves just that.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    team bamf 1.25
    franco francisco milestone 3 kernel
    love this phone best android phone yet
    custom roms and some apps fixed audio issue nexus is perfect now
  3. Senior Droid
    zodder's Avatar
    Member #
    61851
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    177
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    #3
    Further confirmation that I may never replace my phone because I'll always want the one coming out in 3 months.............
  4. Droid Ninja
    johnomaz's Avatar
    Member #
    87119
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Valley, California
    Posts
    2,257
    Liked
    397 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino413 View Post
    Funny thing is I just left a post on the thread about Google choosing TI
    and that things change fast and how Nvidia could release its new chip set and
    wham be back on top again. and then this post comes out that proves just that.
    Yes and no. I think the Kal-El would be awesoem for tablets where those kind of effects will be great to have, but on a phone...not so much.
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  5. Master Droid
    johnd09's Avatar
    Member #
    198302
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    302
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    J_Dav1
    Phone
    Galaxy S III
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by johnomaz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino413 View Post
    Funny thing is I just left a post on the thread about Google choosing TI
    and that things change fast and how Nvidia could release its new chip set and
    wham be back on top again. and then this post comes out that proves just that.
    Yes and no. I think the Kal-El would be awesoem for tablets where those kind of effects will be great to have, but on a phone...not so much.
    Yeah, I think a tablet may need that much processor power, but a phone really doesn't need more than a dual core. Where are they going put a battery big enough in a phone to run it in a phone.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
    Check out my blog if you like MobileTechView.com
    Follow me on Twitter @J_Dav1

    C
    urrent Devices: Galaxy S III, Asus Transformer Prime
  6. Droid Sensei
    tgyberg's Avatar
    Member #
    16974
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Posts
    3,751
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by zodder View Post
    Further confirmation that I may never replace my phone because I'll always want the one coming out in 3 months.............
    Right there with ya! This news makes me want to just skip the Bionic. My Rom'd X is pretty darn fast and I think I could hold out another 6-8 months.
  7. Senior Droid
    infinity8x3's Avatar
    Member #
    40130
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    193
    Phone
    DX2
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnomaz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino413 View Post
    Funny thing is I just left a post on the thread about Google choosing TI
    and that things change fast and how Nvidia could release its new chip set and
    wham be back on top again. and then this post comes out that proves just that.
    Yes and no. I think the Kal-El would be awesoem for tablets where those kind of effects will be great to have, but on a phone...not so much.
    Yeah, I think a tablet may need that much processor power, but a phone really doesn't need more than a dual core. Where are they going put a battery big enough in a phone to run it in a phone.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
    That's what they said about dual cores...

    I'm excited for nvidia I'm a fan have an X2 and couldn't be happier with tegra personally.
    DX2 ready and waiting for roms
  8. Master Droid
    sb1831's Avatar
    Member #
    124448
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    429
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #8
    So it will appear in phones around CES and those phones will launch in the Q2 most likely. Close enough to a year away for me to upgrade now.
  9. Master Droid
    simon_lefisch's Avatar
    Member #
    165370
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    388
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    LG-VS980
    #9
    I heard that some Android phones will be using the TI OMAP chips next year.

    Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  10. Master Droid
    DaWolf85's Avatar
    Member #
    133366
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    320
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by zodder View Post
    Further confirmation that I may never replace my phone because I'll always want the one coming out in 3 months.............
    The funny thing is, apps may not even be taking full advantage of dual-core processors when quad-core phones come out. The hardware is there, but app developers mostly want to develop for the largest market. Where is that? Not even dual-core phones, but single-cores.
    Say I'm a developer, do I want to develop a really cool app or an app that will make me money? Money all the way.
    HTC Thunderbolt
    CM7.2 Unofficial w/ ICS Theme
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
  2. NVIDIA: Quad core can actually use less power than dual core
    By Preach2k in forum Droid Forums Member News Depot
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 06:42 AM
  3. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 10:34 AM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
  5. Quad-Core Phones on the Horizon
    By JohnDroid in forum Android News
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 06:27 PM

Search tags for this page

htc quad core phone
,
kal-el tablet when?
,
new tablet 2012
,

new tablets coming out 2012

,
new tablets coming out in 2012
,
new tablets model 2012
,
quad core droid release date
,
quad core phone release date
,

quad core tablet release date

,
quad core tablets
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+