DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bye Tegra; Google Selects TI OMAP4 As Preferred Ice Cream Sandwich Processor

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member

Bye Tegra; Google Selects TI OMAP4 As Preferred Ice Cream Sandwich Processor

NVIDIA’s Tegra 2 processor has been the top choice since being released on the Motorola Xoom. Google made the processor the preferred Honeycomb chipset, and other smartphones followed the trend by upgrading to the dual core power it offered. Now times have changed, and Google is moving on to another major chipset company for the next generation of their software.

Texas Instruments is being selected to offer their OMAP dual core processor as the "go to" chipset for devices that will run Google’s next generation Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich.

“What we do is pick our partners, a semiconductor partner, an operator, and an OEM and then combine them all together. This is the device that engineers have on their desk when they come in the morning.”
    TI makes incredible processors and so perhaps we will see some improvements in our next round of super-phones. This is sad news for NVIDIA though, because Google’s sponsorship brought them a lot of customers and attention. With that gone, they might not be as relevant in the mobile space anymore.

What are your thoughts on this chipset switch? Can you hear that? ...NVIDIA’s stocks dropping.
    Via: Phandroid
    Last edited by dgstorm; 08-03-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    This is great news and as mentioned, Texas Instruments is a great company. It has been around for years. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ice Cream Sandwich can do!
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DX2
    It's nvidia...
    DX2 ready and waiting for roms
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    DROIDX
    I think it is because Mr. NVIDIA CEO bad-mouthed Android:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...t-selling.html

Google will show him.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Does this mean we can narrow down the manufacturer of the next Nexus device based on who uses Ti?
    -LG?
    -Moto?
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    I figured this woudl happen when the final specs for the Bionic were released. Its the first phone on Verizon's LTE with a dual core and its a dual core TI chip. I think Verizon was as sure as they could be that the NVidia chips were what was causing the bad battery life on LTE (I can't find the article that said that and the one where NVidia refuted it). Wonder if the TI chips will increase battery life.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by wmnomore View Post
    Does this mean we can narrow down the manufacturer of the next Nexus device based on who uses Ti?
    -LG?
    -Moto?
    Hopefully neither. A locked up Nexus phone by Moto...or a cheap phone by LG? I'd like to see Samsung make the next one. GS2-like form factor, hella fast processor, a beautiful screen, and hopefully Verizon's LTE.
    One thing 127 Hours has taught me; Never forget the Swiss Army Knife, leave the "Cheap Made in China multi-tool" home.
  8. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Samsung probably won't make it because they will want to use their processor. I am guessing LG or Moto now. But this does bode well for us D3 owners. Since we have this processor we are pretty assured to get some ICS and hopefully soon!!
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Its Sad that Google would pick any cpu company period
    they can claim its optimized for TI but anyone who knows linux knows that it
    will perform equally on many many platforms. Google should stay open for Multi platforms and let the phone manufacturers pair with whom they choose
    I used the thunderbolt and the battery drain I saw was on 4G how they can blame the CPU for that blows my mind that's like blaming Intel cpu for bad battery life when you sat on your broadcom wireless all day. My point is the Tegra 2 chip is nice is the TI that's newer nicer sure but that could change today if Nvidia releases it's next chip set. then all of a sudden their back on top. just remember stuff changes fast. the bionic will be old news a month after it hits the market so don't get to attached to a device that most of us will struggle to keep for the full two years.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    team bamf 1.25
    franco francisco milestone 3 kernel
    love this phone best android phone yet
    custom roms and some apps fixed audio issue nexus is perfect now
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    havens1515
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftLegend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wmnomore View Post
    -LG?
    -Moto?
    Hopefully neither. A locked up Nexus phone by Moto...or a cheap phone by LG? I'd like to see Samsung make the next one. GS2-like form factor, hella fast processor, a beautiful screen, and hopefully Verizon's LTE.
    Moto has been talking about unlocking bootloaders of existing phones, and not locking some future phones. The D3 and the DX2 are both still locked, Let's hope they start a new trend with this one, if it IS Moto.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links