DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Nissan Releases Official Android App for their EV 'The Leaf'

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Nissan Releases Official Android App for their EV 'The Leaf'

Nissan has just released a pretty nifty Android app for owners of the new Nissan Leaf Electric Vehicle (EV). The app has some fairly impressive features and basically allows you to remotely control several aspects of your EV. Here's a quick quote from the AndroidPolice article detailing some of the more notable features,
    If you have an active CARWINGS subscription, then you can view the battery's current charge level and even begin charging the car remotely from your phone if it's connected to a power source. The application will also be able to tell you how long it is until the charge will be completed. Other features made available through the app include the ability to remotely control the climate control system in the car, so you can have it all warm and toasty by the time you get in to drive. You can also see the remaining driving range.
    This level of interactivity is only the "tip of the iceberg" when it comes to this burgeoning new EV market. In the future, it is likely we will have apps that allows us to use navigation systems to determine where the closest charging station can be found. What other app ideas can you guys come up with that would interact nicely with EV's of the future?

Source: AndroidPolice
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    i like the bit about turning the AC on prior. I'd love that as I leave the office, have it start the AC before I get there. Especially in FL.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola XT875 (Targa/Bionic)
    I test drove one while I was getting something checked on my Nismo 350z.

Too bad it takes 8 hours to do a full charge... and lasts 100 miles babying the throttle. But it does have enough power to do a little peel out.

The Leaf costs $38k and currently special order only.. You could buy a brand new Nismo 370z or 5.0 Mustang GT for that much... or a Prius. lol
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    That is the problem. Most areas don't have charging stations for the rapid charge, or even slow ones. And most trips are spread out. I'd have to charge that thing everyday based on my usage.

I'd like a hybrid, but for the premium over another cost efficient car, it doesn't make sense.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola XT875 (Targa/Bionic)
    Quote Originally Posted by nikecar View Post
    That is the problem. Most areas don't have charging stations for the rapid charge, or even slow ones. And most trips are spread out. I'd have to charge that thing everyday based on my usage.

I'd like a hybrid, but for the premium over another cost efficient car, it doesn't make sense.
    Exactly, what if you had to do an emergency drive and the car wasn't charged? Or, if you were to run out of battery nowhere close to home. :P

A hybrid would be best bang for the buck (even better used). I don't want to be stranded at a grocery store because I accidentally hit the button for A/C in my pocket

Links