DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Verizon Q2: Earnings Top Estimates; New CEO; iPhone Sales Slow

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Verizon Q2: Earnings Top Estimates; New CEO; iPhone Sales Slow

Verizon just released their second quarter financial accounting presser, and it is chock full of interesting tidbits. A few of the "highlights" to take note of are:
    1. Verizon's earnings for this quarter rose higher than expected; Revenue was up to $27.5 Billion, a 2.8% gain over this time last year, and this revenue climb was 6.6% year-over-year.
    2. Sales of the Apple iPhone fueled some of that growth, but have since slowed in the second quarter.
    3. Ivan Sandberg will step down as CEO, and be replaced by Lowell McAdam; Sandberg, will be retained as chairman of the board.
    4. Verizon added 2.2 Million new customers in Q2, but interestingly, only 36% of new sales were smartphones.

Below is a link to the full press release, but be forewarned, it's a long one!

Source: Verizon Quarter 2 Earnings Full Press Release
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    theoriginalvic
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Iphone 4 sales slowed down because of the Iphone 5's release in the fall.
    Galaxy S4 - Stock (For now)
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happystranger View Post
    Iphone 4 sales slowed down because of the Iphone 5's release in the fall.
    Also if by slowed they mean a year old device outsold every 4G device combined, then yes it slowed.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Actually, I think it slowed down in Q2 becasue the 4G devices started coming out and it couldn't compete.

Latest Android phones with LTE > "Latest" iPhone. . . now in white!
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I thought LTE would be a big selling point, and while it is for some I guess when you look at the average user hitting something like 500megs a month speed just isn't that valued by the average consumer. True, LTE availability has really taken off the last few months while the phone options still lag.

And of course IPhone sales have slowed. The IP5 is part of it, but most people waiting for the IPhone on VZW would have snatched one up the first month or two available.

And if only 36% of new subscribers are getting smartphones I'd say that adoption is slowing dramatically. $30 a month is pretty steep if it isn't something your really need or use. Without travel and my work emails, I'd probably have to consider that I don't use data enough to justify the $30.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    theoriginalvic
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    I thought LTE would be a big selling point, and while it is for some I guess when you look at the average user hitting something like 500megs a month speed just isn't that valued by the average consumer. True, LTE availability has really taken off the last few months while the phone options still lag.

And of course IPhone sales have slowed. The IP5 is part of it, but most people waiting for the IPhone on VZW would have snatched one up the first month or two available.

And if only 36% of new subscribers are getting smartphones I'd say that adoption is slowing dramatically. $30 a month is pretty steep if it isn't something your really need or use. Without travel and my work emails, I'd probably have to consider that I don't use data enough to justify the $30.
    +1...In all actually, I could care less about 4g and high quadrant scores. I don't really need a fast phone because I have a computer at home. You wanna impress me? Make a high quality phone that does what you need it to do...I had the Droid 1 and the X...very nice phones at the time, but in all honesty, no phone compares to the Iphone...and flash is overrated. Sorry.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DROOOOID 3

+1...In all actually, I could care less about 4g and high quadrant scores. I don't really need a fast phone because I have a computer at home. You wanna impress me? Make a high quality phone that does what you need it to do...I had the Droid 1 and the X...very nice phones at the time, but in all honesty, no phone compares to the Iphone...and flash is overrated. Sorry.
    Explain how no phone compares to the single core, 3G, 3.5 inch iPhone 4?

I am assuming the Dual 1.2 gHZ, 4G, super thin, 4.3 inch super Amoled + Galaxy S2 isn't as good?
    HTC Incredible>Droid2>DroidX>HTC Thunderbolt>Back to Droid X>Droid 3>Prime?

Sent from either my Droid 3 using DroidForums or my laptop using Chrome.

8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    theoriginalvic
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXDoes4G View Post

I am assuming the Dual 1.2 gHZ, 4G, super thin, 4.3 inch super Amoled + Galaxy S2 isn't as good?
    It's not just about hardware. Touchwiz blows. What's the point of having a fast, thin, big phone that you cant even stick in your pocket if the software is crap. Like I said, personally, I don't need more than "core" in my phone. I cant wait an extra 4.4 seconds for my web page to load..
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DROOOOID 3

It's not just about hardware. Touchwiz blows. What's the point of having a fast, thin, big phone that you cant even stick in your pocket if the software is crap. Like I said, personally, I don't need more than "core" in my phone. I cant wait an extra 4.4 seconds for my web page to load..
    Well thats the joy of android. I can use Launcher Pro, ADW, Go Launcher, SPB 3D, etc.

iOS blows. But I am stuck with it. And it fits fine in your pocket.

Maybe not in your skinny jeans....
    HTC Incredible>Droid2>DroidX>HTC Thunderbolt>Back to Droid X>Droid 3>Prime?

Sent from either my Droid 3 using DroidForums or my laptop using Chrome.

10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    theoriginalvic
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Well thats the joy of android. I can use Launcher Pro, ADW, Go Launcher, SPB 3D, etc.

iOS blows. But I am stuck with it. And it fits fine in your pocket.

Maybe not in your skinny jeans....
    The ladies love the 511's what are you talking about lol.

Links