DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Android Tablets Chew 30% Out of iPad's Marketshare

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    ...like i said who's selling all those tablets?
    Kmart had some cheap tablets that they couldn't keep in stock. A lady that I follow on twitter picked one up and her and her daughter loved it. Toys R Us is selling Android tablets.
    Walmart sells them.
    Target sells them.
    Amazon sells them.
    And various other online "stores".

Not saying all these tablets are great. In fact, wasn't there something about Augen company disappearing...... that's the cheap one kmart had for under $200.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    The problem with all the Android tablets out right now is they all have major flaws. I know everyone who owns a android tab is going to jump down my throat and tell me how perfect their's run and how they have zero issues but it has been widely reported of all the issues each tab has had. To be fair every android tab right now is a first generation, Samsung is just now putting out 2nd gen tabs so we shall see how those are. It's why I haven't jumped to buy one yet. I am excited to see what Moto's next tab will be like because the Xoom was an utter failure that they rushed just to release something to compete with the iPad2. I have high hopes for Android Tablets but nothing has been even close to being an iPad killer.
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I'm curious what major flaw the transformer has?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
    I'm curious what major flaw the transformer has?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    you know I almost was going to put an asterisk that said minus the transformer. That would be the one tab I would buy if I were going to
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by debdroid1a View Post
    Kmart had some cheap tablets that they couldn't keep in stock. A lady that I follow on twitter picked one up and her and her daughter loved it. Toys R Us is selling Android tablets.
    Walmart sells them.
    Target sells them.
    Amazon sells them.

Not saying all these tablets are great. In fact, wasn't there something about Augen company disappearing...... that's the cheap one kmart had for under $200.
    No I meant who's actually selling these tablets...it's one thing to have them on sale but someone or some tablet has to be selling pretty nicely for the market to have a 4500% increase YOY....my point is that this report is only talking about shipments. there's no way android tablet share is 30% or even close. How could it be? No tablet has come remotely close to matching iPads success, and all of them as a collective unit are outsold by the iPad quite handedly. So where is this 4500% increase coming from?
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

No I meant who's actually selling these tablets...it's one thing to have them on sale but someone or some tablet has to be selling pretty nicely for the market to have a 4500% increase YOY....my point is that this report is only talking about shipments. there's no way android tablet share is 30% or even close. How could it be? No tablet has come remotely close to matching iPads success, and all of them as a collective unit are outsold by the iPad quite handedly. So where is this 4500% increase coming from?
    Isn't the market for tablets doubling or tripling this year? And there are now how many more Android options out there? A key difference with smartphones is also you don't have nearly the same issue with Android adoption.

Asus can't make enough tablets, something like 400k of the Transformer alone which would be 5M units for the year (but probably only 1-1.5M to date). The Xoom grossly underperformed expectations, but they've still sold a bunch. Same goes for the Galaxy tabs.

There's a lot of tablets out there. Unless their shipments number is wrong, there simply isn't going to be 15M shipped while only a few million have sold. Maybe they erred on the shipments, but it's not very logical to think sales aren't tracking pretty closely with shipments. Even if only 2/3 are selling, that would still be 20%. Question the accuracy of the shipments number, but implying that 80-90% of these aren't selling just isn't very rational.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Walmart sells them.
    Target sells them.
    Amazon sells them.

These are posts where people on this forum said they bought an Android Tablet:

People went and got this deal:
    Acer Iconia Tab A500 For $400 From Target + $50 Giftcard Starting July 17th

Or this deal:
    Staples Offers $100 Off Coupon for Tablet Purchases

Or they took the staples coupon and got the Acer Iconia Tab
    Target's Amazing Sale: Acer Iconia A500 Tab for Only $350 Bucks!

Or bought a different tab all together
    Toshiba Thrive Tablet On Sale at Best Buy Sunday; Already on Newegg for $430

These are the most recent that I've read.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

Or this deal:

That supports Czerdrill's point about them not selling, but it also shows they ARE selling just having to be heavily discounted to move units. If they were really selling that poorly or unprofitable, orders would have fallen off a cliff and thus so would shipments. So either the shipments number is wrong (entirely possible), or they are in fact being moved (and the IPad production issues is probably a big reason why).
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post

Or this deal:

That supports Czerdrill's point about them not selling, but it also shows they ARE selling just having to be heavily discounted to move units. If they were really selling that poorly or unprofitable, orders would have fallen off a cliff and thus so would shipments. So either the shipments number is wrong (entirely possible), or they are in fact being moved (and the IPad production issues is probably a big reason why).
    Umm.. Everything in the universe is put on sale eventually. I remember ads for the iPhone 3gs for $99 (just recently when the i4 went to Verizon). So it's no wonder tablets go on sale. I want something on sale or at a reasonable price. I think everyone wants a deal. Nothing wrong with that.
    This means they are selling.
    If you look at some of those posts and others, some got the deal because that's what everyone wants. One even went back to BB and asked if they would honor the coupon for a tablet they all ready bought NOT on sale. BB did that.
    Again, I see no problem with sales or deals. If you want to pay full price, go for it.

On another board for those who aren't computer techies (well some might be), they asked which Android talbe they have, these were the replies (again, sold items):
    Acer Iconia 10-inch
    Archos
    Asus
    Galaxy Tab 10-inch
    Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Galaxy Tab 7-inch
    Gome Flytouch II - Rooted
    HTC EVO View
    HTC Flyer
    Nook Color - rooted (B&N)
    Notion Ink Adam
    Viewsonic gTablet 10-inch
    Xoom (Motorola)
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    But the 3GS and even IPad1 went on sale AFTER newer Apple models were out. Some of those sales are on pretty new items, so it is an indicator of lackluster sales. Not that Apple is the best comparison because I doubt they would allow any such offers on the IPad - you don't retain premium market positioning when retailers offer discounts to move inventory.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links