DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: HTC's Facebook Page Hit By "Mostly" Unwarranted Kernel Source Spam Campaign

  1. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,331
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #1

    HTC's Facebook Page Hit By "Mostly" Unwarranted Kernel Source Spam Campaign


    Sometimes, that old adage, "when it rains it pours" rings very true. Last week, it was Samsung getting slammed over and over, this week it appears to be HTC. Some impatient users have created a spam campaign against HTC on the HTC Facebook page. Apparently a horde of users are going out of their way to slam HTC claiming that they’re violating GPL requirements by not releasing source code for new devices and updates directly on HTC's Facebook page. Here is one of the messages being sent to HTC practically every five minutes,
    Please release the kernel source for the EVO 3D, EVO 4G, EVO Shift, Sensation, and Incredible 2. I love HTC devices, but am saddened that HTC refuses to follow GPL requirements to release source code.
    After the spamming got so bad, HTC began deleting some of the posts, and several users called them out on this. Here is HTC's response to that,
    I completely understand your concern regarding the lack of source code, Nick, and I would be more than happy to clarify this for you.

    Unfortunately, I cannot confirm whether these comments were actually being removed, or whether they were automatically removed due to being reported as spam, which is against Facebook’s ToS — we definately hear you guys, and we’re not deliberately withholding the code from you, and we absolutely plan on making it available, as soon as it’s ready.

    We are still working on the source code for some devices. We are unable to provide it to you at this time as it is not currently in an easily accessible format. Sure, it works on the phone just fine; but, for development purposes, that same software also needs to be able to function with the SDK provided by Google. For it to be flawless for our customers, it’s going to take some time. As for a time frame, our usual estimate is within 90-120 days of the device’s release. Sometimes (read: most of the time) we can have it sooner than that. I assure you we are working towards having this software available to our customers as soon as possible.
    This pretty much sums up the facts of the issue. HTC is apparently doing their best to get the source code out to users as quickly as they can, and are well within the time frame that they need to be. This means the spam campaign is mostly unwarranted, and the users should really just calm down and exercise some patience. At the time of this story, it appears that the spamming is slowing down some, but there still appears to be a few grumps posting occasionally.

    Source: Android.net via PhanDroid and HTC Facebook
    Last edited by dgstorm; 07-18-2011 at 12:19 PM.
  2. Droid Ninja
    anuraj1's Avatar
    Member #
    25108
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,140
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    AnurajBhatt
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    #2
    I don't know if I would call it "unwarranted"... They say that they usually get the source code out earlier than 90-120 days after release of device. The Evo 4g is a year old.
  3. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,331
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by anuraj1 View Post
    I don't know if I would call it "unwarranted"... They say that they usually get the source code out earlier than 90-120 days after release of device. The Evo 4g is a year old.
    Yep. I went back and looked at the list of phones too, even before you posted this reply, and saw the Evo 4G on there, so I updated the story with a qualifier of "mostly". Still, spamming HTC's Facebook page isn't really going to get it done any quicker. It's mostly just a big waste of time...
  4. Droid Sensei
    OneTenderRebel's Avatar
    Member #
    53261
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hampton Falls, NH
    Posts
    3,334
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anuraj1 View Post
    I don't know if I would call it "unwarranted"... They say that they usually get the source code out earlier than 90-120 days after release of device. The Evo 4g is a year old.
    Yep. I went back and looked at the list of phones too, even before you posted this reply, and saw the Evo 4G on there, so I updated the story with a qualifier of "mostly". Still, spamming HTC's Facebook page isn't really going to get it done any quicker. It's mostly just a big waste of time...
    yep waste of time but also if I were working at HTC and someone spammed my site constantly I would not release the code just in spite of those spammers. There are other ways of going about this.
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

    Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  5. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,331
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTenderRebel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anuraj1 View Post
    I don't know if I would call it "unwarranted"... They say that they usually get the source code out earlier than 90-120 days after release of device. The Evo 4g is a year old.
    Yep. I went back and looked at the list of phones too, even before you posted this reply, and saw the Evo 4G on there, so I updated the story with a qualifier of "mostly". Still, spamming HTC's Facebook page isn't really going to get it done any quicker. It's mostly just a big waste of time...
    yep waste of time but also if I were working at HTC and someone spammed my site constantly I would not release the code just in spite of those spammers. There are other ways of going about this.
    Indeed!
  6. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #6
    the ever mature android users strike again. when all else fails, spam facebook pages...
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  7. RS Admin
    pc747's Avatar
    Member #
    18832
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    16,627
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    #7
    This is the part of the community that makes me shake my head. In the end it is still a phone. Again there are a large population of android and iPhone users who could care less about jailbreak or rooting. In the end I want a phone that works.

    Sent from my ADR6400L
  8. Droid Sensei
    OneTenderRebel's Avatar
    Member #
    53261
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hampton Falls, NH
    Posts
    3,334
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    This is the part of the community that makes me shake my head. In the end it is still a phone. Again there are a large population of android and iPhone users who could care less about jailbreak or rooting. In the end I want a phone that works.

    Sent from my ADR6400L
    exactly, I feel like the generation right below mine like the 18-25 year olds now have such a ridiculous sense of entitlement to EVERYTHING. If they don't get what they feel they deserve it's curse the world and it's everyone else's fault. Not all of them are like that thankfully, but the ones who are more than make up for the ones who are not.
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

    Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  9. Master Droid
    rbw62's Avatar
    Member #
    199519
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    360
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    thc thunderbolt
    #9
    Amen Bro!

    Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  10. Senior Droid
    Limbwalker's Avatar
    Member #
    110687
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gator Country
    Posts
    142
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @Limbwalker
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #10
    I must admit, they have been dragging their feet on this . . .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Facebook Confesses to Anti-Google Smear Campaign
    By dgstorm in forum Android News
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 11:06 AM
  2. HTC Releases Kernel Source Code for the Thunderbolt!
    By dgstorm in forum Android News
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 02:37 PM
  3. [KERNEL] Fascinate Froyo Source (Built from Galaxy S I9000 Source)
    By TAPOUT27 in forum Samsung Fascinate Development
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 08:51 AM
  4. need to find slayer kernel from source
    By marcogiudice in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM
  5. getting the kernel source
    By magma_camel in forum ChevyNo1
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Search tags for this page

facebook android spam
,
htc campaign forum
,
htc evo shift gb kernel source
,
htc facebook campaign
,

htc logo old

,
htc to thc facebook
,
new! facebook for android spam
,
page spam facebook android]
,
we are saddened by the unwarranted campaign
,
working at htc -hours
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+