DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Legal Rampage; Threatens GetJar over "App Store"; Files 2nd Infringement vs HTC

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    i dont mean to say that all this apple legal jump-through-hoops-to-make-a-product shat disdains me from purchasing their stuff. I dont dislike their attitude of simplifying everything for the user. I dont dislike their closed development, their "ours is the best just because we make it" attitude, their backasswards way of touting the latest and greatest only to lock down plain everyday features, the fact that they so far have only created two things in the past 4 years worth noting.

I hate their outlook. I hate that apple is on the megamonolith path of controlling anything they didnt produce. I hate that through these silly little money and time wasting frivolous lawsuits they are holding other competitors back. I hate that once they stood for everything that was against the conformist attitude of mediocre this-is-what-you-get-and-its-good-enough companies and have now become the 'big brother' entity that their famed 1984 commercial stood for.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    stood against*....its late and I need sleep.

and to sum it all up, that is why I refuse to buy apple products.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Nschneider7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    First, I will say that an android forum is a terrible place to post an apple news related post. Positive or negative. Simply because everyone on this forum uses android. I'm not saying you didn't own apple products before but the reason you are here is because you have an android device and a good chance you prefer it. However I will agree with all of the previous posts. I refuse to buy apple products. Mostly because of the fact that when I had an iPod I had to drive 45 minutes to an apple store to fix a problem, stand in line at said store for another 30 minutes for a "genius." All while being harassed by employees checking in to see if I had made an appointment. All while watching the same damn commercial on 25+ computer monitors and TV's the whole time. But this whole I'm apple I'm suing everyone over stupid little sh*t so I don't have competition is the straw that broke the camel's back. Yes apple does make great hardware and software. However that doesn't give you the right to become so self involved that you end up saying that everyone is either copying you or stealing from you. I'm so sick of it. It seems that this type of news is all that on the forums. I honestly wish that someone would just rise up and put apple in it's place with a biblicalesque (think i just made that word up) smite. Not so that I didn't hear about apple becoming bankrupt as a company. Just knock them down a peg or two off their high horse and come back to reality that what they are doing is wrong and they are losing customers and a fan base.
  4. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    @cush2push
    Phone
    Liquid Nexus v1
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    this happens to be the reason why i do not buy or use apple products with the exception of my ipod i bought way back when apple does make great products but i will never get behind a company who does business like this

Galaxy Nexus
    JellyBean

5. UNC
    Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4
    Nobody should ever sue to protect what they've spent hundreds of millions of dollars developing and marketing.... It's not right.....
    You call me names, I call your Mom!!
  6. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    VZW S3
    Premium Member
    all companies do stupid stuff like this, apple has just been doing it a lot all at once and to big companies instead of little ones.
  7. XOOM RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by volando View Post
    This is why I am consciously an anti-fruit activist (anti-fanboy or whatever the proper term is) and will actively argue with people about their shady practices and questionable technical decisions. More people should do this.
    I'm an admitted Apple Hater, and have no problem saying it out loud. I don't have 1 single Apple device in my house and won't. I'm more disgusted with their litigious behavior than I am with MS and their business practices.

Many people may not even remember Apple was so sue happy back in 1985 that Steve Jobs himself resigned from and was sued by Apple and didn't return until 1996 when the new company he started NeXT Computers was acquired by Apple.

This does a good job of showing the timeline of Apple and where they went bad and how they lost the war against MS. Microsoft vs. Apple infographic details rivalry from inception to global domination [updated]

8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Quote Originally Posted by UNC View Post
    Nobody should ever sue to protect what they've spent hundreds of millions of dollars developing and marketing.... It's not right.....

UNC,

Absolutely Apple or any other company should takes steps to protect what is legally theirs. I think in the case of this thread, the OP made decent points about this going beyond what is legally prudent, although it appears from previous suits the matter is not legally settled.

By this I mean, take me for example. I do not really have much of an opinion on Apple products, as my Droid phone was my first. When I go into our only real supplier of phone goodies,the local Walmart, all they carry is Iphone/Pad/Pod goodies. And there are tons of them. I usually look them over and actually think it would be so much easier to just switch to Apple, as I do love my accessories. I am sure their phones would do what I ask of a phone, by and large.

But, I am aware of all the things that Apple has been doing regarding lawsuits, and it does tend to shade me a bit. For the average consumer much of this is not known or obvious, but for me it tends to make me pause and ask at what point does it become silly and counter productive to their overall financial picture and what they spend on actually making a better product. App Store, Application Store? Is it about using the term App or only in conjuction with Store? In my unlegal eyes, application is a term much like software. Some pretty fine lines here.

And also in my case, the work that I do is technically copyrighted (land surveying and plat preparation). I could spend lots of hours trying to keep folks from making copies of my plats, which are recorded at our courthouse. And play that game, trying to control every aspect of my final product. But, I made the calulations and decided that the amount of ill will that would be heaped on possible clients would not only be a waste of my time, but could actually produce less revenue in the long run. I know of one other Land Surveyor who plays this game, and clients tell me they do not want to use him for anything because he is so difficult to deal with.

So back to the op, I think it is more than sueing at every possible turn because it is the right thing to do, but evaluating what is the right thing to do. And not just the legal system, but evaluating the marketing side. I think the op was pretty clear about this.

Craig
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt/ S3
    Quote Originally Posted by eryck22 View Post
    This is what happens when companies become threatened by competition. They are starting to feel the heat from competitors like, Moto, HTC and Samsung to name a few. They were first and innovated the cell phone industry however, other companies are surpassing them with dual cores and other stuff so quickly, the only way to compete is to sue or buy.
    They were first??? What exactly were they first at HTC is one of the most innovative company's in the world. I'm pretty sure HTC beat Apple to the punch in a lot of things.. y don't u give me a list of ppl Apple have not tried to sue didn't they just get beat down by Nokia in court lol..now my ipod might be the greatest thing ever but this is why that will be the only Apple product I will Ever buy

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  10. UNC
    Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear in NM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UNC View Post

UNC,

Absolutely Apple or any other company should takes steps to protect what is legally theirs. I think in the case of this thread, the OP made decent points about this going beyond what is legally prudent, although it appears from previous suits the matter is not legally settled.

By this I mean, take me for example. I do not really have much of an opinion on Apple products, as my Droid phone was my first. When I go into our only real supplier of phone goodies,the local Walmart, all they carry is Iphone/Pad/Pod goodies. And there are tons of them. I usually look them over and actually think it would be so much easier to just switch to Apple, as I do love my accessories. I am sure their phones would do what I ask of a phone, by and large.

But, I am aware of all the things that Apple has been doing regarding lawsuits, and it does tend to shade me a bit. For the average consumer much of this is not known or obvious, but for me it tends to make me pause and ask at what point does it become silly and counter productive to their overall financial picture and what they spend on actually making a better product. App Store, Application Store? Is it about using the term App or only in conjuction with Store? In my unlegal eyes, application is a term much like software. Some pretty fine lines here.

And also in my case, the work that I do is technically copyrighted (land surveying and plat preparation). I could spend lots of hours trying to keep folks from making copies of my plats, which are recorded at our courthouse. And play that game, trying to control every aspect of my final product. But, I made the calulations and decided that the amount of ill will that would be heaped on possible clients would not only be a waste of my time, but could actually produce less revenue in the long run. I know of one other Land Surveyor who plays this game, and clients tell me they do not want to use him for anything because he is so difficult to deal with.

So back to the op, I think it is more than sueing at every possible turn because it is the right thing to do, but evaluating what is the right thing to do. And not just the legal system, but evaluating the marketing side. I think the op was pretty clear about this.

Craig
    If Lucas can copyright "Droid" why can't Apple copyright "app store"? I mean all tissues are called "Kleenex" informally but that doesn't mean Wal mart can sell equate brand "Kleenex" they sell tissue.... Post it notes and white out are the same thing.

Just admit that Android is the pirate of OS's, stolen patents from MS, Apple and Oracle!!! T
    HTC is more than happy to pay MS $10-15 per Android device sold because of infringed patents, I'm sure Apple rightly feels they are owed as well. Samsung and HTC are foreign corporations stealing from an American brand and you guys are all ok with that. Sad.
    You call me names, I call your Mom!!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links