DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon Finally Confirms Usage-Based Data Plans Coming July 7th

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Verizon Finally Confirms Usage-Based Data Plans Coming July 7th

It hasn't been a very well kept secret that Verizon was planning to change their Data Plans to a new tiered platform. Not only have we had hints of it for several months, but also, over the last couple of weeks we knew all the dirty details already. Now, Verizon has come forward themselves to confirm practically everything we already know, although their "official" plans come online on the 7th of July as previously reported.

This sure seems like a backwards step for the industry, and this kind of pricing will only get worse if the AT&T/T-Mobile merger goes through. At any rate, there's only a couple days left to jump on an unlimited data plan now.

Source: Engadget and FierceWireless
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    This does indeed appear a backwards move. I guess it all depends on what each person uses their phone for. More phones seem to be coming out with HDMI connections. I guess I won't be using that to watch movies through if I was on such a plan. I don't know how big each Netflix movie is but if a HD movie adds up to a GB and you are over your limit then that is an extra 10 bucks per movie. Why sell a device that has all sorts of multimedia streaming capabilities and then put a cap on it.

While you'd have to take a 1000 1mb photos that auto-uploaded to the cloud to reach a gig that is another area to watch. I just signed up for Google+ and I've toggled on the setting to send all movies and pictures to the cloud. On a tiered plan I'd have to watch that.

Finally, for anyone really pinching their MB's, they sure wouldn't want advertisements sucking up extra bandwidth either. Making folks pay to see/watch ads makes no sense to me either.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Enters Sprint and the Evo...
    Viewsonic G-TAB CM7RC1
    Droid X rooted
    Motorola Droid 1 rooted
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Picking up a craigslist omnia 2 today.. to hold me till the bionic comes out
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post
    Finally, for anyone really pinching their MB's, they sure wouldn't want advertisements sucking up extra bandwidth either. Making folks pay to see/watch ads makes no sense to me either.
    LOL. Maybe someone can do a cost/benefit analysis to find out at what point purchasing an ad-free app would be cheaper than paying for the bandwidth use for the ads on an ad-supported free app.
  6. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pollardhimself View Post
    My business rep sent this to me earlier today:

Your existing smart phone plan/feature will be grandfathered.

If you need to add any phones to your account. The tiered pricing will apply to them after 7/7/11

I interpret his reply as: as long as I keep my current phone/plan (Droid/unlimited) I will not move to the new tiered structure. However, once I get a new phone I will be subject to the new tired structure.
    Forgive your enemies it messes with their minds!
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post

If you need to add any phones to your account. The tiered pricing will apply to them after 7/7/11

I interpret his reply as: as long as I keep my current phone/plan (Droid/unlimited) I will not move to the new tiered structure. However, once I get a new phone I will be subject to the new tired structure.

It makes sense that your existing plan, the one you have a signed contract for already, would be honored. Legally it should be. "grandfathered" typically means those already there get the old benefits. I see no favor in honoring a legally signed contract. I expected no less. I've also heard the rumors that for those already on an unlimited data plan they can renew and will be grandfathered under the old plan. That is definitely a favor. Which it is...I do not know.

My renew time is after the 7th. It might turn out to be I can get a new phone under the old plan, or keep my current phone until my 2 yr contract expires in November. I suspect we will know for sure in a couple of days.

Obviously it would be nice to be able to pick up any phone before my contract is up and get the unlimited plan extended for 2 more years.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    That is really expensive... and terrible. Makes me want Sprint even worse, especially if I am not grandfathered into unlimited if I upgrade to a 4G phone like everybody says I will be able to do...

sent from my ApeX
    -Brad
  9. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post

It makes sense that your existing plan, the one you have a signed contract for already, would be honored. Legally it should be. "grandfathered" typically means those already there get the old benefits. I see no favor in honoring a legally signed contract. I expected no less. I've also heard the rumors that for those already on an unlimited data plan they can renew and will be grandfathered under the old plan. That is definitely a favor. Which it is...I do not know.

My renew time is after the 7th. It might turn out to be I can get a new phone under the old plan, or keep my current phone until my 2 yr contract expires in November. I suspect we will know for sure in a couple of days.

Obviously it would be nice to be able to pick up any phone before my contract is up and get the unlimited plan extended for 2 more years.
    And that is my dilemma! Do I go tonight or tomorrow and get a new phone?

UGH!!!!!!!!!! Sometime change is not good!
    Forgive your enemies it messes with their minds!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Adding phones would be like my wife upgrading to a smart phone. Which sucks big time. I would be grandfathered with my droid but she would not.

ATM not to worry for me, I don't stream anything but Pandora. Work just put the kibosh on headphones so I can't even do that anymore.

Sprint needs to get a better network before I think about switching.
    Stock Droid Bionic. Lovin' the 4G.

OG Droid for my son to watch videos on, and not put sticky fingers onto my new phone.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links