DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tethering Complaint Filed Against Verizon with FCC by Free Press

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by onsht1kll View Post
    I have to agree .. if Verizon loses this will be bad news for the end user .. I sure don't need my bill going up any higher
    I see no logical way they'll lose though
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    This whole situation sucks. Verizon charging extra based on how you use something you're paying for is stupid. Sure, they're worried that you're going to use more data tethering, and probably rightly so, but once they ditch unlimited data plans that won't be an issue anymore. I don't tether but I downloaded a tethering application to try it out because I could, and found that while I had the application installed (not running, just installed) webpages loaded exponentially slower. I uninstalled it and they went back to normal. I wonder if Verizon is throttling certain activities if you have a tethering app they don't approve of installed as well?

In any case this really does stink no matter how it goes. Either we find out that Verizon is justified in limiting what apps you can use (which opens up a whole huge can of worms) or they get smacked down by the FCC and raise all our data rates to compensate. I don't like either outcome. The only ray of sunshine is that if the FCC does agree with free press on this, with the upcoming elimination of unlimited data Verizon no longer has any reason to charge more for tethered data use since all data will be metered.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RETG View Post
    Hope Verizon wins. If Verizon has no control over how their services are used by people to cheap to pay for the services, then ALL our costs will go up. And again, those who follow the rules, pay for what they get, will end up paying for those who tax the system. In other words, redistribution of the wealth.

I don't care how much more it costs, or how limited the service is, if you don't like it, move onto another provider and tax their system.
    +1, not sure why anyone would think a victory by free press would be a victory for the user. We'll just start paying 60/month for data. That being said, verizon is gonna win.

Agree with you both. The "10percent" if you will of this community is the free rider that is going to end up screwing the rest of us. People want unlocked bootloaders, and the "10 percent" if you will is the part fighting for this type of stuff. In the end the cost gets passed onto the 90% that just want to use their phones like thy are at close to the current cost they are.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Verizon Thunderbolt
    Hope Verizon wins. If Verizon has no control over how their services are used by people to cheap to pay for the services, then ALL our costs will go up. And again, those who follow the rules, pay for what they get, will end up paying for those who tax the system. In other words, redistribution of the wealth.

I don't care how much more it costs, or how limited the service is, if you don't like it, move onto another provider and tax their system.
    +1

I also agree. This would be bad for the consumer.
    Tom
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1831 View Post

+1, not sure why anyone would think a victory by free press would be a victory for the user. We'll just start paying 60/month for data. That being said, verizon is gonna win.

Agree with you both. The "10percent" if you will of this community is the free rider that is going to end up screwing the rest of us. People want unlocked bootloaders, and the "10 percent" if you will is the part fighting for this type of stuff. In the end the cost gets passed onto the 90% that just want to use their phones like thy are at close to the current cost they are.
    What does it matter? Verizon screws us anyway. Like my $800 bill one month because they decided to not accept my phone for warranty, even though it was stock and never rooted.

sent from my ZombieStomped X
    -Brad
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Verizon is already vocal about plans to move to data caps,before the end of the year.... Now while many low data users are talking about how this is going to save them all sorts of money, remember verizon is a business... If 99% of their users only use 100mb a month, they aren't just going to let that many people reduce their monthly payments.. that would be stupid, and have them throwing away money. The average person's data costs are going to go up, but it has nothing to do with tethering... it has to do with Data Capping. The customer is going to get screwed regardless.

The big thing this will change, is that while we're getting screwed, this lawsuit might actually free the consumer up to use the data they're already paying for, however they want and also prevent Verizon from dictating what apps are used on the phones we paid for.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    If I pay for unlimited data, I think it should be unlimited. Within reason. If I want to tether some, that should be ok. I'm not talking about PS3 gaming everyday.

I don't have internet at my house because there are no phone lines in my area. I use my phone exclusively and only tether when I need to print something or a site won't work on my phone.

sent from my ZombieStomped X
    -Brad
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    galaxy nexus
    Why exactly are they blocking tether apps if they could just deny service for TOS violations? That's the reason a court case is pending. Blocking third party apps by assuming someone is guilty is liable. Even if you are a corporation, you must prove someone is in violation, not sensor their access to free markets.

sent from Dali's moustache.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doulandroid View Post
    Why exactly are they blocking tether apps if they could just deny service for TOS violations? That's the reason a court case is pending. Blocking third party apps by assuming someone is guilty is liable. Even if you are a corporation, you must prove someone is in violation, not sensor their access to free markets.

Not a free market. They have terms they set which every user agrees to. When the user bypasses those terms vzw can do whatever they want. Ppl who can't understand this kindergarten concept baffle me.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    galaxy nexus
    Contracts work both ways in America. If a consumer agrees to be provided a service by hiring a business, that company must also provide the service under the terms they specified. Look up the word contract. This is a free market, it's called capitalism. Move to China if you want corporate or state run control over your date access. The company can deny service, but they cannot block access to the markets/ information. Android is open source, we can hack. Verizon can only deny service, not block what information I download on my phone.
    Still, everyone stop tethering, buy a router and stop ruining it for everyone.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links