DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LG Revolution ROOTED

1. DF News Team/Mod
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Twitter
    @juliothestar
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Premium Member

LG Revolution ROOTED

That was easy. While other manufacturers are busy foiling the exploits of modders and hackers everywhere, LG left their brand-new 4G LTE handset wide open to established root methods, leading to the phone being broken wide open by the folks over at RootzWiki just a day after release. The rageagainstthecage method was all that was needed to easily crack the code and gain super-user access, a necessary first step to ridding the device of all that carrier bloatware (Bing)

SOURCE: LG Revolution - RootzWiki
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    gmorgan056
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    If that's the case, maybe this would be worth getting over the Droid Charge...hmmm...
    Rooted OG D1 running Liquid Gingerbread 2.6, Project Elite v6.5, Droid Concepts 12 and many more!
    Chevy No.1 Low V 1.1 Ghz Kernal

A Droid Bionic evolved into a Rezound which then evolved into a Nexus! Running whatever Rom I'm feeling for the day.

Questions about rooting: http://bit.ly/droot

Sent from my Nexus in a Galaxy far, far away...
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    wesdo2gg
    Phone
    Rooted Thunderbolt
    They shipped it pretty much wide open huh...
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    has there been any android phone that hasn't been rooted? haha...i fail to see why gaining root is such a big deal. no matter how locked down a phone is, you'll always have root.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    has there been any android phone that hasn't been rooted? haha...i fail to see why gaining root is such a big deal. no matter how locked down a phone is, you'll always have root.
    To my knowledge, they still have yet to achieve permanent root on the Incredible 2.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkhonea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    To my knowledge, they still have yet to achieve permanent root on the Incredible 2.
    very interesting, did not know that
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    original droid
    It's sad to void the warranty on a new phone to remove crap you don't want and make it run like it should to begin with. Un removable apps have lost me for a customer.

If Microsoft locked my computer so I was stuck with bing and Internet explorer I would run to buy a Mac so fast it's stupid. How Google and the phone makers are getting away with this I don't know?
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Red_Dragon_85
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Got a chance to play with with this phone today. I must say it is pretty smooth even with the bing and "crapware". Reminds me of touchwiz but a little more polished. Might pay full price for this one to hop on that unlimited LTE bandwagon.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardattack View Post
    It's sad to void the warranty on a new phone to remove crap you don't want and make it run like it should to begin with. Un removable apps have lost me for a customer.

If Microsoft locked my computer so I was stuck with bing and Internet explorer I would run to buy a Mac so fast it's stupid. How Google and the phone makers are getting away with this I don't know?
    I would be willing to bet this is the result of some dispute between Google and LG, since Google uses Google Apps as basically a bargaining chip to get themselves whatever they want from the OEMs.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

This is a really nice phone!

I got mine yesterday, and so far, this phone is awesome. To be honest, the crapware is hardly an issue with this phone. There is so much storage space in this thing, that it doesn't even make a dent. It's got a 16GB internal sd card, a 16GB external sd card, and the DiskUsage app reports 1511 MiB (1.5GB) of internal memory. Seems a little confusing, and the numbers don't sound accurate to me, but the salesman at Verizon told me that it had two 16GB sd cards, and DiskUsage at least confirms that there are two storage cards.

DiskUsage reports the following:

App Storage ........1511 MiB .... this contains the internally installed apps, 140.5mb for system data, and I still have 833 mb of space. This is with a total of 153 apps, including the bloatware.

/mnt/extsecure/extasec ...... shows as empty

/mnt/sdcard as having 12300 MiB, but the card is listed as 16GB - general storage

/mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD as having 15188 MiB (roughly 15GB) - this is for apps to sd

The other thing that I like is that the LG UI is very close to stock Android, but with a few modifications, that I feel actually make the phone more enjoyable. I haven't even set up launcher pro yet. I like the stock launcher just fine. It's kind of neat. I really like that you can organize your apps in the app drawer into categories, and then arrange them how you like. You can even put all the bloatware into one category, drag the category to the bottom, and collapse it, so you never even see the VZ stuff.

The Bing junk is easy enough the get out of your way. I got all the Google stuff from the market, set my home page as Google in the stock browser, and haven't seen Bing since.

The battery life is pretty good considering that I've been playing with it all day. I got about 6 hours before it was down to 19%, and that was with about 30 minutes of netflix, browsing, checking emails, a couple of phone calls, etc. I returned the Thunderbolt after a week, but I had a feeling that I would on the first day. This phone has been rock solid so far, and the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

One more thing, the screen is beautiful! It's so bright, that you can read it just fine in direct afternoon sunlight. The screen is also very sharp. I am loving this phone!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links