DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Steps Up Counter-Attack Against Apple with U.S. Patent Lawsuits

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2023 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Samsung Steps Up Counter-Attack Against Apple with U.S. Patent Lawsuits

There's more fuel to the fire with the Samsung counter-suing Apple story. In what Samsung is describing as “continuing to respond actively to the legal action taken against us,” they have stepped-up their counter-attack against Apple by adding a U.S. Patent infringement lawsuit to the mix. If you will remember from the previous story, their original counter-suit was only in Europe and Asia, but now they've filed another in San Jose, California, federal court, again citing 10 patent infringements.

Here's a quote from the SlashGear article,
    According to Samsung, the ten patents “relate to fundamental innovations that increase mobile device reliability, efficiency, and quality, and improve user interface in mobile handsets and other products.” That includes simultaneous voice calls and browsing, ways to boost mobile network capacity, and other performance tweaks. “Apple continues to violate Samsung’s patent rights by using these patented technologies without a license” the company maintains.
    It would seem that Samsung isn't backing down without a hard fight. It's hard to fault Samsung for defending themselves, but it just seems like a huge waste of money from both companies. Imagine what further innovations or improvements in customer service they could provide if they would spend their energy more constructively.

Source: Android.net via SlashGear

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    My aunt's a patent lawyer, I bet she loves reading this news lol
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    It's hard to fault Samsung for defending themselves, but it just seems like a huge waste of money from both companies. Imagine what further innovations or improvements in customer service they could provide if they would spend their energy more constructively.
    Lawyers are cheap in comparison to the potential payout of these billion dollar lawsuits. I feel like sometimes these companies just sue each other as a big gamble to see if they can wrangle out some money from each other.

If you felt like you had only a 30% chance of winning, would you still place a $15 bet for a potential $500 payout? I would. I think that's what is happening here just at a much grander scale.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D1, Droid2, Intercept (VM)
    Apple needs to actually TRY AND DO BETTER than Android with less of a crappy interface, instead of trying to sue everyone!
    Last edited by jkhonea; 04-29-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Please just respond to the comments instead of the borderline profanity you are applying.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by sidsixseven View Post
    It's hard to fault Samsung for defending themselves, but it just seems like a huge waste of money from both companies. Imagine what further innovations or improvements in customer service they could provide if they would spend their energy more constructively.
    Lawyers are cheap in comparison to the potential payout of these billion dollar lawsuits. I feel like sometimes these companies just sue each other as a big gamble to see if they can wrangle out some money from each other.

If you felt like you had only a 30% chance of winning, would you still place a $15 bet for a potential $500 payout? I would. I think that's what is happening here just at a much grander scale.
    That, and if Apple gets slammed with a guilty verdict and has to completely redevelop their brand or continually pay royalties to Samsung (or whoever sues them) as they use that design, can you imagine how much of a PR hit that would be?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    2nd Generation Phabletastic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
    ...if Apple gets slammed with a guilty verdict and has to completely redevelop their brand or continually pay royalties to Samsung (or whoever sues them) as they use that design, can you imagine how much of a PR hit that would be?
    What a glorious glow of schadenfreude that would be!
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    blah blah blah apple is bad blah blah blah
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
    That, and if Apple gets slammed with a guilty verdict and has to completely redevelop their brand or continually pay royalties to Samsung (or whoever sues them) as they use that design, can you imagine how much of a PR hit that would be?
    Won't happen. Worst case scenario is they settle out of court and end up licensing whatever patents are infringed. Apple is Samsung's second largest client (largest according to Tim Cook). It makes no business sense for Samsung to attempt to destroy the Apple brand. None whatsoever.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    It's just business

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    HOKIE
  11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked