DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola Eases Up on Locked Bootloader Stance, Plans to Unlock Portfolio in 2011?

1. DF News Team
    Member #
    Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Liked
    158 times
    Twitter
    DroidNCState
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member

Motorola Eases Up on Locked Bootloader Stance, Plans to Unlock Portfolio in 2011?

Motorola Eases Up on Locked Bootloader Stance, Plans to Unlock Portfolio in 2011?

With all the talk of locked bootloaders over the last few months... Motorola may finally may cave in. If you remember Motorola bootloader petition that made its rounds almost a month ago? The guy behind it (Irwin Proud) has made several attempts to contact Moto over the issue and here is the response he received…
    “In terms of your question – we completely understand the operator requirement for security to the end user, and as well, want to support the developer communities desire to use these products as a development platform. It is our intention to enable the unlockable/relockable bootloader currently found on Motorola XOOM across our portfolio of devices starting in late 2011, where carriers and operators will allow it.”

It looks like the Petition from the Android Community is Paying off!!

Via: AusDroid
    Follow Me On Twitter DroidNCState
    Proverbs 3:5-6 5Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.6In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Dear world, we will now be taking you over.
    Sincerely,
    Motorola

Now if only they could actually get their hardware out the door, there may be no reason to buy from any other manufacturer
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    This makes me almost as happy as the day i picked up the OG. Now moto, make that "late 2011" early enough to include the bioarga

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I am so glad I signed a 1 yr deal for tbolt. 2012 may be a good time to rejoin the motorola family.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @keeju
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    God I hope this extends to the other bootloader-locked devices like the D2G.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    I am so glad I signed a 1 yr deal for tbolt. 2012 may be a good time to rejoin the motorola family.
    I hear that... I got the 2 year plan, but am more than willing to pay retail if Moto really does open everything up for its high end devices...

But in the end, I will believe it when I see it. They even left themselves an out with this statement at the very end.... "where carriers and operators will allow it"

Maybe its just me, but Verizon has shown me absolutely nothing over the past year where they will ever allow it to happen again. I just don't see it. They have said the right thing in the past, but when have they followed through?

With everything that's going on with Sony and the PlayStation Network right now with hackers having shut it down for a week, this just reeks of saying the right thing to get the heat off until they find a way to lock it down for good. But maybe that's just my pessimistic ways.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    White Droid 2 Global
    But what makes you think that Verizon would allow it? This is starting to sound similar to early telephone companies who restricted what devices could be connected to their lines. Wouldn't matter in the above case if Moto /did/ unlock it.

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.
    From idea to product; debugging is my favorite task.
    #=- BlackSpark -=#
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    White Droid 2 Global
    Since I can't edit my posts here:
    Then again, we could replace the kernel.

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.
    From idea to product; debugging is my favorite task.
    #=- BlackSpark -=#
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
    I hear that... I got the 2 year plan, but am more than willing to pay retail if Moto really does open everything up for its high end devices...

But in the end, I will believe it when I see it. They even left themselves an out with this statement at the very end.... "where carriers and operators will allow it"

Maybe its just me, but Verizon has shown me absolutely nothing over the past year where they will ever allow it to happen again. I just don't see it. They have said the right thing in the past, but when have they followed through?

With everything that's going on with Sony and the PlayStation Network right now with hackers having shut it down for a week, this just reeks of saying the right thing to get the heat off until they find a way to lock it down for good. But maybe that's just my pessimistic ways.

good point, right now ima just play with my tbolt and enjoy hacking while I can.
  10. DF News Team
    Member #
    Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Liked
    158 times
    Twitter
    DroidNCState
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardface View Post

I agree!!! Great point I do not see Verizon allowing this to happen.
    Follow Me On Twitter DroidNCState
    Proverbs 3:5-6 5Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.6In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Links