DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon Confirms 4G Disconnect Issues with HTC Thunderbolt; Working On Fix

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Verizon Confirms 4G Disconnect Issues with HTC Thunderbolt; Working On Fix

Apparently, there have been a flood of 4G disconnect issues for many users of the new HTC Thunderbolt. The issue is wide-spread as well, from Florida to California and everything in-between. Reports indicate that LTE disconnects randomly, and then reconnects 5-10 seconds later. Luckily, Verizon is aware of the problem and is working on an OTA update to deal with the issue. Sound off in the forums if you are one of the unlucky users that have experienced this issue.

Source: TalkAndroid

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    i rarely use 4G because of the battery drain, but when I do I haven't had any problems with it. Fast and stable.

This is definitely the kind of thing that is meant when we hear that skype is being delayed while Verizon works on the stability of 4G...
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    And where is the link supporting the "Verizon is aware of the problem and is working on an OTA update" claim?

Sadly, I remain skeptical. Not that the problem exists, necessarily, but that anyone has owned up to it.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by edbdroid View Post
    And where is the link supporting the "Verizon is aware of the problem and is working on an OTA update" claim?

Sadly, I remain skeptical. Not that the problem exists, necessarily, but that anyone has owned up to it.
    I would say its common sense that Verizon is in panic mode to get an OTA out ASAP to fix this problem. Thunderbolt is the flagship LTE device for Verizon. The absolute last thing they would want is to develop a reputation for having an extremely unreliable network. That would completely ruin the good reputation they do have.

With that said, this helps to explain the battery drain on the devices. If the network continually drops and the phone is always searching for it, you're going to see the battery die quickly. I had the same problem on 3G with my original Droid when I was at the beach where I was on the fringes of 3G and the phone was constantly searching. And heck, from my own personal experience, I'm getting close to a full 24 hours per charge on my Thunderbolt in a non-4G area with moderate use. If this is true, once Verizon and HTC release a fix, we should see a drastic improvement in battery life on the device.
  6. UNC
    Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4
    Waiting for all the "my 4g works fine" posts...

The TB should've been aborted, it has WAY too many flaws.. I wonder if the "fix" will also fix the 3g dropping which happened to me when I had TB, and according to many forums, is happening to many other people as well....
    You call me names, I call your Mom!!
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardface View Post

I would say its common sense that Verizon is in panic mode to get an OTA out ASAP to fix this problem. Thunderbolt is the flagship LTE device for Verizon. The absolute last thing they would want is to develop a reputation for having an extremely unreliable network. That would completely ruin the good reputation they do have.

With that said, this helps to explain the battery drain on the devices. If the network continually drops and the phone is always searching for it, you're going to see the battery die quickly. I had the same problem on 3G with my original Droid when I was at the beach where I was on the fringes of 3G and the phone was constantly searching. And heck, from my own personal experience, I'm getting close to a full 24 hours per charge on my Thunderbolt in a non-4G area with moderate use. If this is true, once Verizon and HTC release a fix, we should see a drastic improvement in battery life on the device.
    And again, in case I wasn't clear, I thank you for putting a finer point on it.

I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist.

I never had the problem you mentioned with the OG Droid, but I don't doubt that you did.

I don't have the problem with my Thunderbolt, but I don't doubt other people do. Adding to the murkiness, I'm in a 3G area that's supposed to have LTE turned up this summer, so I haven't had the *opportunity* to experience this problem yet.

Again, what I am questioning is "Verizon is aware of the problem and is working on an OTA update". What's the source for this revelation? I traced it back from this blog to another blog to another blog, which to linked to a post in a vzw user forum. My cousin's cousin's cousin said they talked to Verizon and they said it's a known issue. Why isn't there a link to Verizon stating that it is, in fact, a known issue? If it is, there should be an official link, not a lot of hearsay. That's all I'm getting at.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by UNC View Post

The TB should've been aborted, it has WAY too many flaws.. I wonder if the "fix" will also fix the 3g dropping which happened to me when I had TB, and according to many forums, is happening to many other people as well....
    How do you know this is a problem with the TBolt alone and not just a problem with how Verizon is trying to get their devices to hook up to the service?

The network is brand new. Had any other device been released on it first, we would likely be seeing the same problems with it that we are seeing with the Bolt. In fact, the biggest complaint (and in 99% of the cases, the only complaint I see) is that the battery life sucks. Well, if this report is true, we have figured out why it sucks. Once that is fixed, there is a very good chance that this problem is eliminated. I mean, everyone I speak with who only uses the TBolt on 3G gets somewhere between 20 and 30 hours per charge out of it. I don't see why 4G would drain the battery 3 or 4 times faster unless it was buggy and unreliable. It appears that is the case.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx

Please name the "WAY too many flaws"? Other than the Battery issues people report. Every device has issues. I can't count how many there were on each BB device I owned, or even with my Droid X.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

I must be extremely lucky to get one of the ones with only one issue (10-12hr battery).
  11. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member

This is a good question. I followed every link that copied this story and all it did was take me to a discussion on the issue. I did not see anywhere that Verizon acknowledges the issue.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links