DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 43 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 1130
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: P3Droid: Some Food for Thought - Bootloaders, Rooting, Manufacturers, and Carriers

  1. Senior Droid
    MoeDaddy's Avatar
    Member #
    2906
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    248
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    The interesting part to me is that I doubt they even care about illegal tethering I think that is their red herring, their way to justify their actions. What I really feel is the issue is just plain and simple control. Just like apple has they all want control in order to keep making as much money as possible. As usual they will all go to far and their will be lawsuits and the govt will look at their practices... but again we can always show support with our wallets and that can hurt them. These days a small outcrop of righteousnesses can snowball, with the internet behind it and social media these small outcry's can sway a larger audience...

    Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out...
  2. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by cynnar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cynnar View Post
    Like I said I don't tether so Im not what you would call stealing. Since my tis do not include tether because it was not an issue due to d1 cannot do that,it is not offered as a service. So a person can't steal someone they have permission to.

    Others can and probably are in violation of the tos. However they have permission to access the internet and therefore are not stealing as they have permission to.

    Is that not right? Do we not have permission to access the internet? (Not asking about tos, or how it is being accessed)

    If we don't have permission to access the internet then I will agree that we are all stealing. However you an I both pay for that service.

    Yes you are right no one will really leave vzw. I never planned on it. I will do as I usually do and keep the phone iI got as long as I can.

    Sent from OG Droid powered by Pete's GPA
    hey man, wasn't speaking specifically to you just quoted you to answer your question.
    But you are missing my point.

    You cannot steal something you have permission to. No way you put it you cannot do it.

    However you can be in violation of the tos. And there is a big difference.

    I don't want you to take me the wrong way. None of his makes me mad, I just don't see how you can steal something you have permission to use.

    Sent from OG Droid powered by Pete's GPA
    Please let me know why you think you have permission to tether without paying?
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  3. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoeDaddy View Post
    The interesting part to me is that I doubt they even care about illegal tethering I think that is their red herring, their way to justify their actions. What I really feel is the issue is just plain and simple control. Just like apple has they all want control in order to keep making as much money as possible. As usual they will all go to far and their will be lawsuits and the govt will look at their practices... but again we can always show support with our wallets and that can hurt them. These days a small outcrop of righteousnesses can snowball, with the internet behind it and social media these small outcry's can sway a larger audience...

    Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out...
    How this all plays out? 35,000 people will complain on android forums across the internet, 2 people will boycott VZW, and 5 million people will buy the next android phone lol...it's what always happens. this is going nowhere.
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  4. Senior Droid
    cynnar's Avatar
    Member #
    172090
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    144
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    See you jump on the tether again. I am talking about stealing. And stealing means you take the data without permission. You pay for permission to take the data.

    Stealing not tethering.

    And if you do tether you still have permission to access the data. Even though you may be in direct violation with the tos.

    You just cannot simply steal the data that you have permission to get.

    Do you get put in jail after you buy something and leave the store?

    If you the same product wrongly you might, but you didn't steal it.

    Sent from OG Droid powered by Pete's GPA
  5. Senior Droid
    cynnar's Avatar
    Member #
    172090
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    144
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I really wish I could continue this debate with you but my phone is about dead, and I've got to get some sleep. Work comes in a few hours.

    Maybe things will blow over and we can keep our root.

    Sent from OG Droid powered by Pete's GPA
  6. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by cynnar View Post
    See you jump on the tether again. I am talking about stealing. And stealing means you take the data without permission. You pay for permission to take the data.

    Stealing not tethering.

    And if you do tether you still have permission to access the data. Even though you may be in direct violation with the tos.

    You just cannot simply steal the data that you have permission to get.

    Do you get put in jail after you buy something and leave the store?

    If you the same product wrongly you might, but you didn't steal it.

    Sent from OG Droid powered by Pete's GPA
    See that's where tether-ers refuse to make the distinction. It's offered as a separate product, and it's not included in your unlimited data (and that's detailed in your TOS). It's that simple, the people who tether just refuse to look at it that way...your paying for unlimited smartphone data without tethering. verizon doesn't mislead you and tells you that tethering is included and in fact specifically tells you that it is not included. and you agree to that when you sign a contract. just because people refuse to make the distinction doesn't make a difference. it's not a free-for-all unlimited plan. it's unlimited data for your smartphone, through your smartphone on your smartphone. these distinctions are made in the TOS and you agree to them when you get a data plan.

    refusing to make the distinction after the fact is irrelevant, and yes...it is stealing.
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  7. Master Droid
    Narsil's Avatar
    Member #
    727
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    511
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    2nd Generation Phabletastic!
    All I know for certain is that all these impassioned, logical, and cogent arguments have certainly changed my mind! I am now firmly in your camp and you can quit trying to win me over. I'm already yours.
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

    If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

    There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  8. Premium Member
    hookbill's Avatar
    Member #
    10332
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    19,575
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cynnar View Post
    See you jump on the tether again. I am talking about stealing. And stealing means you take the data without permission. You pay for permission to take the data.

    Stealing not tethering.

    And if you do tether you still have permission to access the data. Even though you may be in direct violation with the tos.

    You just cannot simply steal the data that you have permission to get.

    Do you get put in jail after you buy something and leave the store?

    If you the same product wrongly you might, but you didn't steal it.

    Sent from OG Droid powered by Pete's GPA
    See that's where tether-ers refuse to make the distinction. It's offered as a separate product, and it's not included in your unlimited data (and that's detailed in your TOS). It's that simple, the people who tether just refuse to look at it that way...your paying for unlimited smartphone data without tethering. verizon doesn't mislead you and tells you that tethering is included and in fact specifically tells you that it is not included. and you agree to that when you sign a contract. just because people refuse to make the distinction doesn't make a difference. it's not a free-for-all unlimited plan. it's unlimited data for your smartphone, through your smartphone on your smartphone. these distinctions are made in the TOS and you agree to them when you get a data plan.

    refusing to make the distinction after the fact is irrelevant, and yes...it is stealing.
    I'd like to think there is a difference between "Violations of ToS" and stealing.

    Violation of ToS is any modifications you make on your phone. Period. Stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you.

    If you have unlimited data you have it but that is strictly for the use of your phone. Verizon clearly has a plan for tethering and they charge for it. I was one of the mods who was against allowing the discussion of hacking Verizon's hot spot but I can't win them all. Matter of fact I win very few. But IMHO it was wrong from the start. Violation of ToS.

    And it is true, they want to control what you can and can't put on your phone but that's ok. 99% of the people won't have a issue with this. All the rest of you are here today. In this Forum
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  9. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cynnar View Post
    See you jump on the tether again. I am talking about stealing. And stealing means you take the data without permission. You pay for permission to take the data.

    Stealing not tethering.

    And if you do tether you still have permission to access the data. Even though you may be in direct violation with the tos.

    You just cannot simply steal the data that you have permission to get.

    Do you get put in jail after you buy something and leave the store?

    If you the same product wrongly you might, but you didn't steal it.

    Sent from OG Droid powered by Pete's GPA
    See that's where tether-ers refuse to make the distinction. It's offered as a separate product, and it's not included in your unlimited data (and that's detailed in your TOS). It's that simple, the people who tether just refuse to look at it that way...your paying for unlimited smartphone data without tethering. verizon doesn't mislead you and tells you that tethering is included and in fact specifically tells you that it is not included. and you agree to that when you sign a contract. just because people refuse to make the distinction doesn't make a difference. it's not a free-for-all unlimited plan. it's unlimited data for your smartphone, through your smartphone on your smartphone. these distinctions are made in the TOS and you agree to them when you get a data plan.

    refusing to make the distinction after the fact is irrelevant, and yes...it is stealing.
    I'd like to think there is a difference between "Violations of ToS" and stealing.

    Violation of ToS is any modifications you make on your phone. Period. Stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you.

    If you have unlimited data you have it but that is strictly for the use of your phone. Verizon clearly has a plan for tethering and they charge for it. I was one of the mods who was against allowing the discussion of hacking Verizon's hot spot but I can't win them all. Matter of fact I win very few. But IMHO it was wrong from the start. Violation of ToS.

    And it is true, they want to control what you can and can't put on your phone but that's ok. 99% of the people won't have a issue with this. All the rest of you are here today. In this Forum
    Yes violating your tos doesn't automatically mean your stealing in all cases. But in the case of tethering it does,

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  10. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Sorry hit submit. In the case of tethering it does because tethering is listed as a separate product (whether or not it really is is irrelevant because vzw makes the distinction and you agree to that distinction). Therefore getting it for free is theft of service, no ifs ands or buts about it. Of course there's people here who don't and won't ever see it like that. Unfortunately for them, what they believe is just baseless emotion

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
Page 43 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 03:16 PM
  2. Now that HTC phones will have locked bootloaders and prevent rooting...
    By droidXpert in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 01:03 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 01:57 PM
  4. Which car manufacturers?
    By pjo1966 in forum Android Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 05:06 PM
  5. I had a thought... wait... ummm... yah I had a thought!
    By Where'sMyCoffe? in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 03:46 PM

Search tags for this page

@p3droid
,
android-asset/html/fa/tethering-help.html
,
bootloaders, rooting, manufacturers, and
,
file:///android asset/html/fa/tethering help.html
,
food news forums
,
how to root samsung galaxy precedent by straight talk
,

p3droid

,
p3droid droid 3
,
p3droid verizon tether
,
track a rooted android phone
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+