DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 42 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: P3Droid: Some Food for Thought - Bootloaders, Rooting, Manufacturers, and Carriers

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid-Xer View Post
    You can bluetooth tether on a stock unrooted phone...
    nice. Didn't know that
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    When I think about people who tether I think its........furthermore people who root are.........but in the end........there was that one time when........but I digress.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Like I said I don't tether so Im not what you would call stealing. Since my tis do not include tether because it was not an issue due to d1 cannot do that,it is not offered as a service. So a person can't steal someone they have permission to.

Others can and probably are in violation of the tos. However they have permission to access the internet and therefore are not stealing as they have permission to.

Is that not right? Do we not have permission to access the internet? (Not asking about tos, or how it is being accessed)

If we don't have permission to access the internet then I will agree that we are all stealing. However you an I both pay for that service.

Yes you are right no one will really leave vzw. I never planned on it. I will do as I usually do and keep the phone iI got as long as I can.

Sent from OG Droid powered by Pete's GPA
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by 52brandon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post

you two are missing the obvious point, as is every other "freedom fighter" here. you two may not be tethering, but the fact of the matter is many rooters are. and that's why rooters are being targeted. if anyone here believes vzw is doing this to go after rooters who put a theme on their phone, they're very naive and have the "corporations are evil and out to get me" childish mentality. it's simply not the case. verizon is going after rooters because rooters are the ones who tether the most. and tethering is stealing a service from them.

to the person who said "if we don't matter why are these measures being taken"? again...because rooters are stealing a service. that doesn't mean that 5 people boycotting verizon is going to affect them. but no company is going to put up with even 1 person stealing a service from them. it doesn't mean vzw is shaking in their boots wondering what to do when the 30-something people who actually will boycott, do. we all know everyone here swearing up and down that "i'm leaving verizon!" and "if this happens, i'm canceling everything verizon i own and burning my verizon visor" or "i'm done with verizon, this is unfair, i'm going to sue if they do this" isn't going to do a thing. it's all talk, and verizon knows that. put your money where your mouth is, or obey the contract that you signed. you are not in control, vzw is, and that's just what it is. the only options are to accept that, or do something about it.

since we all know no one here is going to do anything about it, i fail to see why threads like this come up all the time.
    if tethering is the "obvious point", why not remove the apps from the market? Seems like an obvious solution... but they don't, they lock bootloaders, and push OTA updates to detect rooting, not tethering...
    if they are really doing this, which no one has any proof of except some article by p3droid with no sources except people who are "afraid of losing their job", i'm sure the tethering apps will be removed.

so you're really thinking that verizon is taking these measures to stop someone from removing bloatware? or theming? or overclocking? bloatware that the people who root, would never use regardless? what would be the point of undertaking something like this to prevent the removal of bloatware?

secondly, its not like you cant sideload a tethering app...removing it from the market is not going to stop someone who is saavy enough to tether in the first place would it? if you find out that pdanet is no longer available on the market, will you put on the sackcloth and say "woe is me" and beat your chest, or would you simply go here: android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoeDaddy View Post
    Regardless, I will not reward any company that keeps me from using my own property as I see fit. I don't tether, or use bootleg apps for free, or do anything illegal with my phones. I understand the need to protect content and the network but not when it tramples my rights. Just because I root doesn't mean I'm a criminal...
    Their Network, Their Rules....

When you sign the contract you agree to the rights you have when access and using their Network.
    Nowhere in their rules does it say I CANNOT root my device, with the apple ruling the law is on our side. They cannot shut off our service for doing as we like to our own devices, if u steal service or intellectual property sure they have grounds but for rooting and changing your own user experience no. I have more issue with the carrier side as they cannot tell us what we can do with our phones.

OEMs can lock down their phones and as of yet nobody has stepped up and brought this action to court, but when locked phones get left out for updates then their will be cause and hopefully action will follow. Until then we can speak with our wallets.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by cynnar View Post
    Like I said I don't tether so Im not what you would call stealing. Since my tis do not include tether because it was not an issue due to d1 cannot do that,it is not offered as a service. So a person can't steal someone they have permission to.

Others can and probably are in violation of the tos. However they have permission to access the internet and therefore are not stealing as they have permission to.

Is that not right? Do we not have permission to access the internet? (Not asking about tos, or how it is being accessed)

If we don't have permission to access the internet then I will agree that we are all stealing. However you an I both pay for that service.

Yes you are right no one will really leave vzw. I never planned on it. I will do as I usually do and keep the phone iI got as long as I can.

hey man, wasn't speaking specifically to you just quoted you to answer your question about why it's stealing. but again, your using the same baseless arguments that all tether-ers do:

1) It's my phone I can do what I want (lol no you can't...)
    2) They cap me at 5GB, and I pay for unlimited (no...they don't)
    3) They said the D1 is not capable of tethering anyway, so I'm not stealing (this is probably the most foolish one)

Just because they said you can't do it, and you do it, doesn't mean they're going to say "oh you big galoot, you've got us! Tether away!!" Come on...BTW your TOS does include tethering because your TOS is the same as anyone else's. There is no separate TOS for D1 users.

Oh and yes, no one is going to do anything about this. It's all internet talk, happens everyday with no outcome.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

you two are missing the obvious point, as is every other "freedom fighter" here. you two may not be tethering, but the fact of the matter is many rooters are. and that's why rooters are being targeted. if anyone here believes vzw is doing this to go after rooters who put a theme on their phone, they're very naive and have the "corporations are evil and out to get me" childish mentality. it's simply not the case. verizon is going after rooters because rooters are the ones who tether the most. and tethering is stealing a service from them.

to the person who said "if we don't matter why are these measures being taken"? again...because rooters are stealing a service. that doesn't mean that 5 people boycotting verizon is going to affect them. but no company is going to put up with even 1 person stealing a service from them. it doesn't mean vzw is shaking in their boots wondering what to do when the 30-something people who actually will boycott, do. we all know everyone here swearing up and down that "i'm leaving verizon!" and "if this happens, i'm canceling everything verizon i own and burning my verizon visor" or "i'm done with verizon, this is unfair, i'm going to sue if they do this" isn't going to do a thing. it's all talk, and verizon knows that. put your money where your mouth is, or obey the contract that you signed. you are not in control, vzw is, and that's just what it is. the only options are to accept that, or do something about it.

since we all know no one here is going to do anything about it, i fail to see why threads like this come up all the time.
    This is not the case for most of the corporate world, sorry but they do not change policy and spend large amounts of capital on a few people that steal their service. Look how long it took directv to shut down hackers, look at how long the RIAA let napster run. Giant companies only respond when they FEEL the pinch. SO if we are big enough to make them feel the pinch by our bad side we are big enough as a whole to hurt their wallets with our choices and voices...
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Regardless, I will not reward any company that keeps me from using my own property as I see fit. I don't tether, or use bootleg apps for free, or do anything illegal with my phones. I understand the need to protect content and the network but not when it tramples my rights. Just because I root doesn't mean I'm a criminal...
    Their Network, Their Rules....

When you sign the contract you agree to the rights you have when access and using their Network.
    Nowhere in their rules does it say I CANNOT root my device, with the apple ruling the law is on our side. They cannot shut off our service for doing as we like to our own devices, if u steal service or intellectual property sure they have grounds but for rooting and changing your own user experience no. I have more issue with the carrier side as they cannot tell us what we can do with our phones.

OEMs can lock down their phones and as of yet nobody has stepped up and brought this action to court, but when locked phones get left out for updates then their will be cause and hopefully action will follow. Until then we can speak with our wallets.
    Again...if they prove that your tethering after you rooted, then yes they can shut you down. If they take you to court and you prove that all you did was theme, then no they can't. The apple ruling did not give permission for people to violate their TOS and steal service. It's really not as difficult as people are making this. It's actual glaringly obvious and simple.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone

This is not the case for most of the corporate world, sorry but they do not change policy and spend large amounts of capital on a few people that steal their service. Look how long it took directv to shut down hackers, look at how long the RIAA let napster run. Giant companies only respond when they FEEL the pinch. SO if we are big enough to make them feel the pinch by our bad side we are big enough as a whole to hurt their wallets with our choices and voices...
    There's a difference between being big enough and actually doing something about it. If thousands/millions boycotted VZW, then yes, they'd feel the pinch. My point is, the people here talking about it are not doing anything except...talking about it.

We know this forum is less then .01% of the total VZW customer base, and we know that the majority of people on this forum don't even root. You're just not big enough to have any effect on Verizon, especially when 100% of the people who do root are not even going to boycott. It's about as small a group as small groups go...
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cynnar View Post

hey man, wasn't speaking specifically to you just quoted you to answer your question.
    But you are missing my point.

You cannot steal something you have permission to. No way you put it you cannot do it.

However you can be in violation of the tos. And there is a big difference.

I don't want you to take me the wrong way. None of his makes me mad, I just don't see how you can steal something you have permission to use.

Page 42 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Links