DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73

Thread: Google Tightening Grip on Android - Less Open, "Open Source"

  1. Master Droid
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Member #
    63406
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    924
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)
    #31
    I mean, really, the fact that the only way Microsoft can get people to use Bing is by FORCING them to use it really says all that needs to be said about the product.
  2. Junior Droid
    jacobbond's Avatar
    Member #
    185053
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Florianopolis, Brazil
    Posts
    22
    Phone
    Samsung Captivate
    #32
    Yes get rid of the bloatware!!! I don't think Google is trying to be evil, they are just trying to protect the integrity of their product. Yes it is open source but that doesn't mean companies are free to modify it to make it something not even resembling Android anymore.
  3. Droid Ninja
    cpjr's Avatar
    Member #
    17607
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,598
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    #33
    I think its very funny that this is exactly what Apple has always done and EVERYBODY HATES them for it.

    Now, Googles is swaying that way and everyone says "I think it will be a good thing".

    Personally, it doesnt really bother me. I am just amazed at how people react, not because of the issue, but because of "who" the issue is.
    HTC THUNDERBOLT Rooted / Perfect Storm 1.2 ROM / Overclocked @ 1.80GHZ

    Evolution : Droid 1 - Incredible - Droid X - Thunderbolt
  4. Droid
    VannMann's Avatar
    Member #
    84019
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    48
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #34
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VannMann View Post
    One of the two reasons I bought my Thunderbolt was for SenseUI. I like it, and I don't see what any of the manufacturers should be banned from putting their own UI on top of Android..
    Great, you like Sense UI.

    But tell me...why cant I have the option of uninstalling it without having to root and ROM? THAT is why this is a good thing. UI add-ons should be an opt-in process, not the other way around. If the UI is so great, then people will be happy to use it willingly. Right?

    I despise Motoblur, and the fact that the Droid 1 doesnt have it was a key reason I bought the phone.

    And then there is the Galaxy S thing with Bing and no Google...I wont be sorry to see situations like that come to an end either. Bing is probably the one thing I hate more than Motoblur.
    I didn't write that, lol. I think you quoted wrong.

    CreativX Windows 7 Themes Designer
    http://creativx.net/forums/windows-7-themes-vannmann/
  5. Super Moderator
    Martin030908's Avatar
    Member #
    248
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8,836
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    #35
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Bing on any device is not right. I dont even know how Bing is still alive...every single person I know who has used it is either indifferent or hates it. I have never met a single person who has told me "OMG Bing is so awesome!!11!1!!"
    Same boat here. Google is synonymous with "search". Yahoo went the way of the dinosaur and I see no reason why Bing won't. Don't get me wrong, competition is good...

    Even with the iPhone... they just "Google" it.
  6. Master Droid
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Member #
    63406
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    924
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)
    #36
    On its worst day Google is not as bossy as Apple is. Not by a long shot.

    How many apps has Google banned so far because they dont like the content? How many multi-media platforms has Google banned because of an ideological agenda?

    Sorry, Apple is way way worse. Even now.
  7. Droid Ninja
    cpjr's Avatar
    Member #
    17607
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,598
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    #37
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    On its worst day Google is not as bossy as Apple is. Not by a long shot.

    How many apps has Google banned so far because they dont like the content? How many multi-media platforms has Google banned because of an ideological agenda?

    Sorry, Apple is way way worse. Even now.
    Did I say they were the same? Did I even try to imply it...no.

    This is the direction they are going. End of story. Doesnt mean they will ever be as bad, doesnt mean they wont.

    So calm down.
    HTC THUNDERBOLT Rooted / Perfect Storm 1.2 ROM / Overclocked @ 1.80GHZ

    Evolution : Droid 1 - Incredible - Droid X - Thunderbolt
  8. Master Droid
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Member #
    63406
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    924
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)
    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by VannMann View Post

    I didn't write that, lol. I think you quoted wrong.
    Sorry, it was actually wingdo. The quote button auto-filled everything. I am going back to quoting manually.
  9. Master Droid
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Member #
    63406
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    924
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)
    #39
    This is the direction they are going. End of story.
    I disagree that they are going in the direction of banning apps they dont like or platforms they dont like. I have seen zero evidence of that.
  10. Droid Ninja
    cpjr's Avatar
    Member #
    17607
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,598
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    #40
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    This is the direction they are going. End of story.
    I disagree that they are going in the direction of banning apps they dont like or platforms they dont like. I have seen zero evidence of that.
    Ok, lets get off the app discussion, since this thread has nothing to do with it.

    We are talking about the OS, Apple's OS has a deathgrip on it and now Google is trying to tighten the belt on theirs. How is that not heading in the same direction?
    HTC THUNDERBOLT Rooted / Perfect Storm 1.2 ROM / Overclocked @ 1.80GHZ

    Evolution : Droid 1 - Incredible - Droid X - Thunderbolt
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Can't open some fwd emails, with ".eml" files
    By portlandjosh in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 02:39 PM
  2. WiFi - Secured "Open" Network, unable to login.
    By art.vzqz in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 06:05 PM
  3. WiFi - Secured "Open" Network, unable to login.
    By art.vzqz in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2010, 09:48 AM
  4. Can't open email attachments....."Connection Error."
    By Droid54 in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 07:40 PM
  5. Android Open Source Project: Droid Firmware?
    By Wrenbjor in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 08:26 PM

Search tags for this page

droid open source
,
droid pro rom gripper
,
rom gripper android
,
rom gripper android not working
,
rom gripper doesn't work
,
rom gripper for android source code
,

rom gripper not working

,
rom gripper wont work
,
why doesnt rom gripper work
,
why doesnt rom gripper work anymore
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+