DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Music Industry Cries Foul Over Amazon Cloud Player

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2079 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Music Industry Cries Foul Over Amazon Cloud Player

Yesterday, hookbill, brought us a great story regarding Amazon's new Cloud Streaming Media Service. It is such a great product that it obviously has generated a lot of interest.

It apparently has raised a lot of "ire" as well, at least from the music industry. The news of Amazon's "music locker" service came screaming from out of nowhere, as Google and iTunes have been trying to start this type of service for quite some time now.

It begs the question... how did Amazon beat these two behemoths to the punch? The answer is that Amazon didn't get the proper licensing to begin the service, which has been what has held up Google and iTunes all this time. Also, it appears that Amazon didn't even bother to contact the record labels about the service launch before hand either. In fact, industry speculation is that Google will launch their version sometime in May and iTunes will follow suit sometime in June.

The real problem though is the music industry. One example is that Amazon's new free cloud player service competes directly with Sony's "Music Unlimited" subscription based service. Sony Music's spokeswoman Liz Young, had this to say,
    "We hope that they'll reach a new license deal," Young said, "but we're keeping all of our legal options open."
    That seems like a thinly veiled threat. Also, an executive involved in the negotiations, who requested anonymity, commented that the move was,
    "somewhat stunning," and further added, "I've never seen a company of their size make an announcement, launch a service and simultaneously say they're trying to get licenses."
    Amazon's response to all this hullabaloo was,
    "Cloud Player is an application that lets customers manage and play their own music. It's like any number of existing media management applications. We do not need a license to make Cloud Player available. The functionality of saving MP3s to Cloud Drive is the same as if a customer were to save their music to an external hard drive or even iTunes."
    That seems like a fairly confident stance for them to take. Of course, what we are seeing here is the growing pains of the natural evolution of the way music and other digital media will be handled in the future. Although we are likely to see a rash of lawsuits, it is likely that Amazon will be able to weather this storm and come out with the first "music locker" service to compete in the digital media market of the future.

Source: Android.net via Engadget and Yahoo! - Reuters
    Last edited by dgstorm; 03-30-2011 at 10:51 AM.
  2. XOOM RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    This sounds to me like a case of the music industry STILL not waking up to the fact that technology is changing the rules of everything. They don't seem to understand that cloud storage is nothing more than a personal hard drive on the internet. So a person buys music, stores it here and they have legally purchased the music for personal use. They aren't losing any money.

And they wonder why piracy is such a problem to this day.....

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    What the music industry wants is for you to lose your music so you will have to purchase it again. I mean if I think back I've purchased some albums as many as 5 times. What jerks.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    I agree, the music industry has been behind on technology advances for years now. They are scratching and clawing at ways to protect the "old way" of doing things. I agree with Amazon's perspective, they are providing a customer an external hard drive located on Amazon's, server to store their music. Then they are providing a media player in their "cloud" that can access the said music, no different than any media player on my computer can access my music on one of my external harddrives.

Josh
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by dafischman View Post
    I agree, the music industry has been behind on technology advances for years now. They are scratching and clawing at ways to protect the "old way" of doing things. I agree with Amazon's perspective, they are providing a customer an external hard drive located on Amazon's, server to store their music. Then they are providing a media player in their "cloud" that can access the said music, no different than any media player on my computer can access my music on one of my external harddrives.

Josh
    Yes. Exactly
    "Never look where you are going, always look where you want to go."

Galaxy Nexus

ICSourcery - It's Delicious Ice Cream Magic
    My Gimpy OG Droid is now officially a glorified alarm clock / potential media player (running Sourcery)
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    Phone
    OG D1/G-Nex
    Amazon sounds reasonable to me. Maybe the other companies are just trying to make this sound bad. Competitors are just upset.
    Turtle bit me.I thought they were slow....they snap so fast. ................. <3
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Yea I really see nothing for the record labels to be upset about. There are theories about logins being shared but they are really nonsense to me.

Instead of doing all that with Amazon I would use something else.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  8. xan
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DX warranty #5 since feb '11
    if sony is upset it must be really cool.

-hey sony when you sending me a check for those rotted discs, broken cassette tapes and my unviewable betamax collection?
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    It's a pretty well established precedent that you are allowed to make copies of your own legally purchased copyrighted material provided that it doesn't circumvent DRM. Even here, the copyright violation is the circumvention of the DRM and not the actual copying.

I think it will be damn hard for the labels to win this one in court. And even harder against a company the size of Amazon who have the resources and expertise on technology to make the case. Whereas, the labels are just reacting to what -- we didn't say you could do THAT with your music.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    It occured to me that the Amazon Cloud Player could actually be a good thing for record labels to find illegally obtained music. From the end user agreement:

5.2. Our Right to Access Your Files. You give us the right to access, retain, use and disclose your account information and Your Files: to provide you with technical support and address technical issues; to investigate compliance with the terms of this Agreement, enforce the terms of this Agreement and protect the Service and its users from fraud or security threats; or as we determine is necessary to provide the Service or comply with applicable law.
    As pointed out in this ComputerWorld article, "Amazon won't put up a fight should the RIAA start poking around."
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links