DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'No Way' and 'Steep Climb' quote from FCC Official on AT&T/T-Mobile Merger

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

'No Way' and 'Steep Climb' quote from FCC Official on AT&T/T-Mobile Merger

Apparently, there is some measure of sanity in the world, as the Wall Street Journal got a quote from an FCC official on Wednesday, regarding the AT&T/T-Mobile Buyout. The official said,
    "There's no way the chairman's office rubber-stamps this transaction. It will be a steep climb to say the least."
    The Wall Street Journal also added,
    The official stressed that the agency hasn't even begun to formally evaluate AT&T's proposal and will examine the deal on its merits and whether it's in the public interest.
    Furthermore, the article also pointed out that deals like this have been approved before despite these types of warnings. Regardless, it will probably be a long time before we know anything for sure. It could be a year or more before it passes through the regulatory process with the FCC and DOJ. Also, the deal between AT&T and T-Mobile includes a $3 Billion dollar cancellation payout even if the merger falls through. You know AT&T is going to fight aggressively to avoid giving up $3 Billion bucks for nothing.

Source: Android.net via The Inquirer via The Wall Street Journal
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Twitter
    NeoPhoenixTE
    Phone
    Droid 4 (Maserati) - CM10.1.2
    Yay for corporate drama.

*sits in his Verizon booth munching popcorn*
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X

T-Mo-Att Merger

My friend has a blacberry on T-Mobile and 2days ago where her service normally said 'T-Mobile' it now says ATT and she's getting coverage in spots that were previously dead to her...
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I don't trust the government to block this merger, they are always swayed by under the table pay-outs and crooked lobbyist.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    i wont believe it till i see it
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    I don't trust the government to block this merger, they are always swayed by under the table pay-outs and crooked lobbyist.
    Yup, all this:

It will be a steep climb to say the least.
    means anymore is who do you have to pay and how much.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    almost the same thing was said about the nbc universal comcast merger it took a year and a half and i'm sure a lot of $$$ but it did finally pass with a list of demands that probably won't be enforced.
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    motorolla a855
    this is so dumb why try to be the best company and to knock out competition when you succeed the government knocks you down lower then when you were (3 billion dollar fee). you started seeing it already with verizon they didnt have the iphone so they came out with the droid and unlimited plans and great service, inovating to get ahead they got the iphone and rather than knocking at&t out for the count they settled in changing pricing plans and upgrading policies and return policies. i was glad to hear this because at&t would finally would be able to keep up. now while government looters try to suck out as much money as they can from a company that could use that money for hiring new people or expanding service or lowering prices goes to congress. government is what corrupted business not the other way around. Think about this, when microsoft was broken up guess how much they spent on lobyist??????? $0 they were busy making better software for cheaper than everyone else the way it was meant to be. they learned there lesson now they spend hundreds of millions on lobyist. its alot like when the mafia would go to the most successfull business owners telling them to pay protection money and if they didnt theyd burn your shop down.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by cucucachu0000 View Post
    this is so dumb why try to be the best company and to knock out competition when you succeed the government knocks you down lower then when you were (3 billion dollar fee). you started seeing it already with verizon they didnt have the iphone so they came out with the droid and unlimited plans and great service, inovating to get ahead they got the iphone and rather than knocking at&t out for the count they settled in changing pricing plans and upgrading policies and return policies. i was glad to hear this because at&t would finally would be able to keep up. now while government looters try to suck out as much money as they can from a company that could use that money for hiring new people or expanding service or lowering prices goes to congress. government is what corrupted business not the other way around. Think about this, when microsoft was broken up guess how much they spent on lobyist??????? $0 they were busy making better software for cheaper than everyone else the way it was meant to be. they learned there lesson now they spend hundreds of millions on lobyist. its alot like when the mafia would go to the most successfull business owners telling them to pay protection money and if they didnt theyd burn your shop down.
    I think you're confused. ATT isn't trying to be the best company by purchasing T-Mobile, they are trying to gain leverage so they don't have to deal with the competition. The 3billion is not a government thing, it was part of the agreement between ATT and T-Mobile. I imagine it was put in to keep ATT from backing out of the agreement once the merger went public which could cause investors to pull money out of T-Mobile and causing them losses. And as much as I agree that government often times doesn't handle things the best, if you believe that large cooperations aren't just as likely to ripoff anyone they can then I can't help you. Up to this point, tell me what ATT or Verizon (the top 2 mobile companies) have been doing to improve prices or products for their customers. Without competition from the littler guys, they will have even less motivation to push forward in tech and to keep prices low.

Josh
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I just keep going back to the new tech that is rumored to be coming out with the small box-type transceivers that can be put up all over the place without being an eyesore (on top of lamp posts was one thing mentioned). What's interesting is since all the wireless ultimately gets pumped through hard-wired lines, this could enable some of the cable operators to get in the game in the not-so-distant future.

I expect the AT&T/TMo deal ultimately to be approved, but they will probably be required to divest some assets and sell some wireless frequencies they have rights to. The combined unit is still less than half the market.

On top of that, there's still a lot of competition from broadband as far as data. There's only so much people will pay, much less need, in between home and work where most have wifi. And as far as voice, VoIP and Google are poised to become major players, so I think the overall dynamic is still there for significant competition.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links